Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Soldiers pictured in the Cheltenham Chronicle & Gloucester Graphic

dink999

• Hello David,
  • I wonder if you would be able to post the photo of the soldier below. Arthur Burrows is my great-uncle and there are no extant photos of him in the family. We would love to know what he looked like. Along with the other members who have posted their thanks, I would like to add mine, for the terrific work you have done in setting up this resource.
FindingRef Cheltenham Chronicle and Gloucestershire Graphic HeldAt Gloucestershire Archives Title BURROWS, A H , Driver, Date 1916 EnrichingChars b&w Format Photograph Source Cheltenham Chronicle & Gloucestershire Graphic, 06 May Notes A.S.C., M.T.,

Photographed in Margate Lived in Cheltenham,

Many thanks

Paul

Paul,

I hope this is your man and thanks for your support

David

post-9249-0-49860500-1405932282_thumb.jp

David just jumping in for some help

I wonder if you could post a picture of Sidney BENDALL he was a step brother of my grandfather, many thanks for help, Terry

FindingRef Cheltenham Chronicle and Gloucestershire Graphic Title BENDALL, Sidney, Private, Date 1915 Format Photograph Source Cheltenham Chronicle & Gloucestershire Graphic, 02 October Notes 7th Gloucesters, Wounded 8 Aug 1915 at the Dardanelles
Location of photograph not known Lived in Gloucester, HeldAt

Gloucestershire Archives

Terry,

Hope this is your man Private Sidney Bendall

post-9249-0-88419900-1406570635_thumb.jp

Guest leilaforest

Hi Dave,

Thank you for all your work on bringing this database together. I would be really grateful if you could provide the below photographs:

Thank you,

Yasmin

FindingRef Cheltenham Chronicle and Gloucestershire Graphic HeldAt Gloucestershire Archives Title MACE, Wallace B , corporal, Date 1916 EnrichingChars b&w Format Photograph Source Cheltenham Chronicle & Gloucestershire Graphic, 01 April Notes 54th Brigade R.F.A., Pictured with his serving family
Location of photograph not known Lived in Gloucester, FindingRef Cheltenham Chronicle and Gloucestershire Graphic HeldAt Gloucestershire Archives Title MACE, Alfred, Ex Col.-Sergt, Aged 81 Date 1916 EnrichingChars b&w Format Photograph Source Cheltenham Chronicle & Gloucestershire Graphic, 01 April Notes 28th Foot, Mutiny/Crimea veteran
Location of photograph not known Lived in Gloucester, FindingRef Cheltenham Chronicle and Gloucestershire Graphic HeldAt Gloucestershire Archives

Title

MACE, Gordon P , 1st Class Warrant Officer, Date 1916 EnrichingChars b&w Format Photograph Source Cheltenham Chronicle & Gloucestershire Graphic, 01 April Notes A.S.C., M.T., Pictured with his serving family
Location of photograph not known Lived in Gloucester,

Yasmin,

Here is the photo of the Mace family and the details about their long military service

post-9249-0-70332800-1406875526_thumb.jp

Guest leilaforest

Good morning Dave,

Thank you so much for sending these, they are great. My family will enjoy seeing them.

Thanks again,

Yasmin

Hi,

I am reseraching my family, and wondered if you had images of:

1625 WITTS, William, Instructor, 1915 Cheltenham Chronicle & Gloucestershire Graphic, 03 July Pictured with his 2 serving sons Location of photograph not known Lived in Cheltenham, 1626 WITTS, H , Sergeant, 1915 Cheltenham Chronicle & Gloucestershire Graphic, 03 July 4th Hussars, Fractured his knee and has been gassed Location of photograph not known Lived in Cheltenham, 1627 WITTS, F , Driver, 1915 Cheltenham Chronicle & Gloucestershire Graphic, 03 July R.F.A., Wounded at La Bassee Location of photograph not known Lived in Cheltenham,

and

2424 WITTS, H F C, Private, 1915 Cheltenham Chronicle & Gloucestershire Graphic, 30 October 10th Gloucesters, Wounded in France 25 Sept 1915 now in Chipstead Hospital, Sevenoaks, Kent

Location of photograph not known Lived in Bishop's Cleeve,

and

5649 WITTS, S J, Bombardier, 1917 Cheltenham Chronicle & Gloucestershire Graphic, 07 July R.F.A., B.E.F., Wedding Group Photo married May Leighton of Pool Hill Newent Photographed in Cheltenham Lived in Taynton,

and

433 WITTS, A, Private, 1914 Cheltenham Chronicle & Gloucestershire Graphic, 26 December 1st Gloucesters, KIA 21 Oct 1914 Location of photograph not known Lived in Aston on Carrant,

and

700 WITTS, Arthur, Private, Aged 36 1915 Cheltenham Chronicle & Gloucestershire Graphic, 13 February 1st Gloucesters, KIA 21 Oct 1914 Location of photograph not known Lived in Aston on Carrant, 701 WITTS, George, Private, 1915 Cheltenham Chronicle & Gloucestershire Graphic, 13 February 1st Gloucesters, Wounded in France Location of photograph not known Lived in Aston on Carrant,

Many thanks,

Laura

David can I trouble you for the following please: -

5154 14/10/1916 PEACHEY Charles

6533 19/10/1918 TEMPLE R J

7232 15/05/1915 WILLIAMS Lionel

7271 28/10/1916 WILLIAMS F

Mike

Also

2296 05/02/1916 FLETCHER W C

3383 10/11/1917 HOOKHAM A

Thanks

Mike

Mike ,

Images sent via email due to file size.

Dave

Hi,

Can you find this photo for me, he is a distant relative, probably a great Uncle

FindingRef CEO/CCGG/Pictorial Supplement 1916/CE
Cheltenham Chronicle and Gloucestershire Graphic
Title BASTIN, G H, Sergeant,
Date 1916
Format Photograph
Source Cheltenham Chronicle & Gloucestershire Graphic, 20 May
Notes 9th Gloucesters, Pictured with 2 named Sergts & a Greek peasant
Photographed in Salonika Lived in Cheltenham,
HeldAt Gloucestershire Archives

I know I can buy it, but came across this forum & thought may as well try.

If there's anything I can do in return, let me know.

Not really sure what I'm doing, hope this works?

Many thanks

Helen Linklater(nee Bastin, born Leeds) now in Australia

David,

Just found this topic!! Thank you for sharing your hard work.

Could I please have a photo of -

FindingRef Cheltenham Chronicle and Gloucestershire Graphic HeldAt Gloucestershire Archives Title MONK, A E, Corporal, Date 1917 EnrichingChars b&w Format Photograph Source Cheltenham Chronicle & Gloucestershire Graphic, 26 May

Notes

FindingRef Cheltenham Chronicle and Gloucestershire Graphic HeldAt Gloucestershire Archives Title HARRIS, R G, Private, Date 1917 EnrichingChars b&w Format Photograph Source Cheltenham Chronicle & Gloucestershire Graphic, 10 November Notes

A.I.F., Wounded in action 1 Oct 1917 now in Cowley Military Hospital, Oxford
Location of photograph not known Lived in Australia & Badgeworth,

Thank you.

Oxford & Bucks Light Infantry, Pictured with his 6 named serving Brothers
Location of photograph not known Lived in Painswick,

Helen,

Here is Sergt. G H Bastin

Regards

David

post-9249-0-18986900-1408371520_thumb.jp

Kevin,

Here are the pictures of the Monk Family and Pte. Harris

post-9249-0-06694600-1408371908_thumb.jp

post-9249-0-75935500-1408371918_thumb.jp

Hi,

Could I please trouble you for the following?

Cheltenham Chronicle and Gloucestershire Graphic

Title PRICE, J, Private,

Date 1914

Format Photograph

Source Cheltenham Chronicle & Gloucestershire Graphic, 26 December

Notes 9th Gloucesters, Regimental Police

Location of photograph not known Lived in Cheltenham,

HeldAt Gloucestershire Archives

Many thanks in advance!

Private J Price in a group of 9th Glosters

post-9249-0-70074500-1408444203_thumb.jp

David,

Could I trouble you for another please?

GREENWOOD, G , Private, Date 1916 Format Photograph Source Cheltenham Chronicle & Gloucestershire Graphic, 19 February Notes 5th Oxford & Bucks, Wounded in the head 14 Jan 1916 died the next day
Location of photograph not known Lived in Upper Oddington, HeldAt

Gloucestershire Archives

Thanks

Kevin

Kevin,

I'm afraid it's not the clearest image so hope it is ok for you

David

post-9249-0-18054200-1409067376_thumb.jp