Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Soldiers pictured in the Cheltenham Chronicle & Gloucester Graphic

dink999

Well done on creating the database Dave.

May i request a copy of the photo for the man below please?

This is my pals great grandad who went missing on the first day of the battle of loos. He has his medals: 1914-15 star, war and victory medal, but knows next to nothing about him.

FindingRef Cheltenham Chronicle and Gloucestershire Graphic HeldAt Gloucestershire Archives Title FROWEN, Ernest H , Lance-Corporal, Date 1915 EnrichingChars b&w Format Photograph Source Cheltenham Chronicle & Gloucestershire Graphic, 13 November Notes 10th Gloucesters, Missing in Loos since 25 Sept 1915

Location of photograph not known Lived in Woolaston,

Cheers,

Derek.

Thank you for all your work Dave, I was planning on spending time in the archives in October when we are in the UK. this will save me a little time. Could I please have a copy of the photo/article for Private Reginald Painter. It fills in one small piece of the puzzle, the date he was wounded.

FindingRef Cheltenham Chronicle and Gloucestershire Graphic

HeldAt Gloucestershire Archives

Title PAINTER, Reginald, Private,

Date 1915

EnrichingChars b&w

Format Photograph

Source Cheltenham Chronicle & Gloucestershire Graphic, 09 January

Notes 1st Gloucesters, Wounded at Ypres 31 Oct 1914

Location of photograph not known. Lived in Elkstone

Lance Corporal Ernest H FROWEN, I'm afraid the image is not the clearest I have taken, I will try to retake a better one next time I have access to the newspaper

Private Reginald PAINTER

Dave

Your database is proving a great asset indeed. Could I ask for another couple please? C White is my GGrandfather and O J Porter my GGUncle, they both lived at Great Rissington. They may be copies of photos I've already got but it would be nice to be sure and to have the names of the others in the group shot....

Title WHITE, C, Lance-Corporal,

Date 1917

EnrichingChars b&w

Format Photograph

Source Cheltenham Chronicle & Gloucestershire Graphic, 31 March

Notes Railway Labour Battalion, Named Group

Location of photograph not known Lived in Gloucestershire

Title PORTER, O J, Private,

Date 1916

EnrichingChars b&w

Format Photograph

Source Cheltenham Chronicle & Gloucestershire Graphic, 26 August

Notes Gloucesters, KIA 31 July 1916

Location of photograph not known Lived in Great Rissington,

Regards

Steve

Lance Corpl C White & 6 others in the Royal Engineers

Private O J Porter

Dave

Very much appreciated, thank you.

The photo of Charles White is one that I've already got but to have the names of the others is a bonus.

Thanks again.

Steve

Excellent! Thanks very much Dave.

A clearer one if you find time would be great too.

Thanks very much,.

Derek.

Thank you very much Dave, all the photos we have of Reg are either from later in the war or just after. So having this one from a time before he saw what war was really like is much appreciated. As I said before it tells us the date he was wounded, but also that he was sent to a french hospital. More pieces of the giant puzzle.

Thanks again

Elizabeth

Thank you so much for putting the information on line and the clear explanation.

I am currently trying to identify people mentioned in a memoir of the Gloucester Battery of the 1st South Midland Brigade Royal Field Artillery - and became very excited -

unfortunately none of the problem names shows up. Very few names showed up for the artillery.

I wonder whether you can tell me anything about the Lt Sutherland who is twice listed in 1915?

It would be helpful please. I mentioned on another thread looking for a Capt Sutherland supposedly in the Gloucester and mentioned in the diary of Reginald Pridmore as having been wounded on the night of 11 Aug 1916. .

"Last night 1 officer was killed and 4 wounded including Capt Sutherland who was up there taking over"

No Sutherland shows up yet in the Army list etc and he hasnt yet been traced.

Thank you, Evelyn

Hi Evelyn,

I am still struggling with 'Sutherland'

The one I am aware of was not a Capt but a Lieutenant (could have been a T/Capt) and I have checked the war diaries for the Battalions

I believe he was in and there is no mention of him being wounded 11/08/16.

I cannot check attached to the Glosters and he may have been RAMC or Artillery, either way I would expect (not always)to see an entry in the diary

for a wounded Officer.

If Dave hasn't replied to you about the 'Sutherland' mentioned twice in 1915 by tommorrow, I will go and have a look for you so he can be ruled out

if it is not him.

Simon.

Hello Evelyn,

In the first group picture dated 13 March 1915 it states the following:-

Col. Vines ex C.O., Major Tufnell, C.O. and the whole of the Officers of the 9th Battalion Gloucester now stationed at Cheltenham.

There are 48 others named, mostly Lieutenants including Lieut. Sutherland. The whole photo is too large to post, but Sutherland is easily identifiable as you can see by the attached image.

In the 2nd group picture dated 24 April 1915 it says:-

"B" Company 9th (Service) Battalion Gloucester Regiment, who leave Cheltenham on Monday April 26th after a 6 months' visit. In centre, seated behind drum is Lieut. Col. Collis.

In the 2nd picture it is harder to work out which one is Lieut. Sutherland, but he is listed next to a Lieut Charlesley, which is a reasonably good name to help with research I think.

If you would like the full group images just let me know.

David

Thank you very much. David. No I dont need the images - just out of interest really.

My husband and I have booked to go to the PRO tomorrow to make a few final checks on war diaries and officer's records before completing our work on Pridmore's diary and finally putting it on line.

I dont know if this is the place to say how good the catalogue is now at the PRO website - One can even Google a man's full name and, if there is a record at the PRO, it seems to show up.

Among the files we shall be looking at is one for 2nd Lt Roderick Edward Sutherland and two possible Gloucestershire Officers called Price.

But then we are going to call it a day.

I am very grateful to you all.

Evelyn

Simon -

Sorry, the second part was intended for you. To thank you for your trouble and to let you know that we are going to the archive here ourselves, to save you the trouble of any work on our behalf.

I hate writing posts on line and your name and my thanks to you seem to have gone missing.

My apologies and thanks,

Evelyn

• 3 months later...

Hi, I've stumbled on this forum while looking for information and pictures of my great uncles, 4 brothers who all died in WW1. I see from your database that you have a photo of one of them - Lance Corporal F A Williams. I would very much appreciate a copy of his picture if you don't mind my asking.

The details are:

FindingRef Cheltenham Chronicle and Gloucestershire Graphic HeldAt Gloucestershire Archives Title WILLIAMS, F A, Lance-Corporal, Date 1915 EnrichingChars b&w Format Photograph Source Cheltenham Chronicle & Gloucestershire Graphic, 05 June Notes 1st Gloucesters, Wounded at Ypres 9 May 1915 now in a London Hospital
Location of photograph not known Lived in Charlton Kings,

Thank you and I will look forward to seeing the photo!

Donna

Hi Dave

Would it be possible to post a photo of this man please

Cheltenham Chronicle and Gloucestershire Graphic HeldAt Gloucestershire Archives Title W PAYNE, Date 1914 EnrichingChars b&w Format Photograph Source Cheltenham Chronicle & Gloucestershire Graphic, 22 August Notes Gloucester Blue Coat Boys in 1882 Many thanks
Roger

Edited by rogerh

• 1 month later...

Dear Dave,

Could you please send me a copy of the picture of my Grandfather as detailed below.

Thanking you in anticipation.

Peter

FindingRef Cheltenham Chronicle and Gloucestershire Graphic Title CLARKE, A F , Corporal, Date 1918 Format Photograph Source Cheltenham Chronicle & Gloucestershire Graphic, 16 November Notes Yeomanry, KIA 29 Sept 1918
Location of photograph not known Lived in Sezincote, HeldAt Gloucestershire Archives

Dear David

Thank you so much for the photo of my grandfather,Cpl A.F.Clarke.

My father who was 98 years old yesterday, I am sure will also be very pleased to see it too.

Congrats.on a fine and valuable piece of archive work.

Best regards

Peter F. Clarke

David, what a fantastic tool you have created here. It will prove invaluable to people researching soldiers in the Cheltenham area.

With the closure of the Naunton (near Stow on the Wold) Baptist chapel I have been heavily involved in recording the gravestones. As a follow on to this I am researching the soldiers on the War Memorial in the chapel court yard, and any additional soldiers I can find with a Naunton connection.

Having run my list of names through your database would it be possible for you to copies of the photographs of the following -

Title EAST, W R J, Private,
Date 1919
Source Cheltenham Chronicle & Gloucestershire Graphic, 18 January
Notes 1/5th Gloucesters, Reported wounded & Missing on Nov 4 1918
Location of photograph not known Lived in Naunton & Lower Guiting,

Title FLETCHER, C C, Private,
Date 1916
Source Cheltenham Chronicle & Gloucestershire Graphic, 05 February
Notes 10th Gloucesters, Missing believed killed since 13 Oct 1915 at Loos
Location of photograph not known Lived in Naunton,

Title HIGGINS, James, Gunner, Aged 19
Date 1917
Source Cheltenham Chronicle & Gloucestershire Graphic, 15 September
Notes R.F.A., KIA 15 Aug 1917
Location of photograph not known Lived in Naunton,

Title AKERS, A, Sergeant,
Date 1916
Source Cheltenham Chronicle & Gloucestershire Graphic, 27 May
Notes Gloucesters, Died from wounds in France 2 April 1916
Location of photograph not known Lived in Copse Green, Elmstone Hardwicke,

Title AKERS, E J, Private,
Date 1916
Source Cheltenham Chronicle & Gloucestershire Graphic, 21 October
Notes Gloucesters, Wounded 8 Sept 1916 now in Hospital in Liverpool
Location of photograph not known Lived in Elmstone Hardwicke,

OR (which ever looks the best!)
Title AKERS, E J, Private,
Date 1918
Source Cheltenham Chronicle & Gloucestershire Graphic, 25 May
Notes Gloucesters, Died in an Eastern sphere 24 Nov 1917 previously wounded & gassed Sept 1916
Location of photograph not known Lived in Elmstone Hardwicke

I appreciate that it is a bigger list then you were expecting when making your generous offer, but it would be VERY much appreciated - if it is too much do say and in slow time I will go to Cheltenham and look in the library.

Regards,

Evan

Dave,

Great work, well done. If at all possible would it be possible to get the pictures of the following.

Andy

FindingRef Cheltenham Chronicle and Gloucestershire Graphic HeldAt Gloucestershire Archives Title ANDREWS, J P M , Private, Date 1915 EnrichingChars b&w Format Photograph Source Cheltenham Chronicle & Gloucestershire Graphic, 16 October Notes

Rifle Brigade, Wounded in action 25 Sept 1915 now in St Bartholomew's Hospital, London
Location of photograph not known Lived in Longborough,

FindingRef Cheltenham Chronicle and Gloucestershire Graphic HeldAt Gloucestershire Archives FindingRef Cheltenham Chronicle and Gloucestershire Graphic HeldAt Gloucestershire Archives Title CHARLOTTES, S , Rifleman, Aged 19 Date 1916 EnrichingChars b&w Format Photograph Source Cheltenham Chronicle & Gloucestershire Graphic, 13 May Notes Rifle Brigade, Wounded 15 March 1916 and died in the Field Ambulance the same day (his 19th birthday)
Location of photograph not known Lived in Cheltenham, 51 Sherborne Street FindingRef Cheltenham Chronicle and Gloucestershire Graphic HeldAt Gloucestershire Archives Title STAINES, J M , Sergt-Major, Date 1916 EnrichingChars b&w Format Photograph Source Cheltenham Chronicle & Gloucestershire Graphic, 23 September Notes Rifle Brigade, KIA 21 Aug 1916
Location of photograph not known Lived in Leckhampton, Ferncroft, Church Road, Leckhampton

Evan,

Hope these are the soldiers you were looking for, Private E J Akers is in a separate post to follow

David,

that is wonderful very many thanks.

I will add them to my write up of those with a Naunton connection that were killed in the Great War.

Having a brief record of their war record and details from the 1911 census is one thing but adding photographs "brings them alive" so much more than bare facts and figures.

Once again many thanks for creating the fantastic database and then for helping people out by kindly posting the pictures for us.

Evan