Soldiers pictured in the Cheltenham Chronicle & Gloucester Graphic

dink999

Clive,

Here are the 2 photos you asked for

Dave

post-9249-0-79294000-1457467269_thumb.jp

post-9249-0-57133500-1457467283_thumb.jp

Excellent pictures here. Thank you.

Brilliant, Dave - many thanks indeed! My great-uncles.

Cheers,

Clive

thank you Dave this is James Frank Clifford date of death and home address match. my info

#29590 enlisted with the 8th Gloucester Regt in Sunderland in Dec 1915 .

Thank you again Dave and keep up the good work

Frank Clifford

Hi Dave,

I am looking for info on Reuben Clifford#5478 color sgt Cold Stream Guards Died in Dreelfontein South Africa (Boer War)

May 1901 Would either of the two papers have a photo or write up as he was from Stow on the Wold.

Any info would be appreciated.

Regards Frank Clifford

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Dave

Is it possible that either the gloster or Cheltenham paper would have carried any information regarding the Boer War

casualties? or was it something people didn't want to know about because of the amount of death due to disease

Regards,

Frank Clifford

• 2 weeks later...

A couple discovered thumbnail of following image and to date only place I can find to get it is archives upon enquiry discovered their price is rather high. Add overseas postage to that for archives do not E-mail anything but will provide digital image on CD.

Before proceeding with purchase I am hoping you might have the photo as it is listed in database.

My thanks in advance

FindingRef
Cheltenham Chronicle and Gloucestershire Graphic
Title
LAKE
Albert
D , Private,
Date
Format
Photograph
Source
Cheltenham Chronicle & Gloucestershire Graphic, 21 August
Notes
Australian Expeditionary Force, Wounded at the Dardanelles 2 July 1915

Location of photograph not known Lived in Coombe Hill,

Hello,

Here is the photo of Albert Lake from the Graphic

Regards

Dave

post-9249-0-09304100-1460450194_thumb.jp

• 2 months later...

hello is there anyone out there who can help , with ref my grandfather pte f.w. mustoe MM 8th glosters. i was hoping i could have found a  photo or something in the

local papers . i have his army records. i am not very good at this researching thing.

regards in anticipation. david.

family@eastmans2000.freeserve.co.uk

• 1 year later...

Hi,

Not sure if anyone is still reading these posts, but I am looking for a Pic of my great grandfather whose service medals I now have. He returned from the war to Carr's Hotel Cheltenham and the family story is that  his wife ran the hotel and pub, and Stephen Cleverly suffered from severe PTSD (shell shock). The hotel is now a small office building my mom and aunt still own.

Much thanks!

Alt Ref No Cheltenham Chronicle and Gloucestershire Graphic
Title CLEVERLY, Private,
Date 1916
Notes 7th Gloucesters, Large Group of named Officers NCO's & Men
Photographed in Somewhere abroad Abode not known,
Enriching Characteristics b&w
Format Photograph
Source Cheltenham Chronicle & Gloucestershire Graphic, 02 December
Held At Gloucestershire Archives

59d3e8554cb93_Screenshot(9).png.ca7ebdd66c63516785060a413ca185d6.png

Joshua,

Hope this group photo will show you your man Clevely clearly enough

Dave

IMG_3538.JPG

Hello Dink

I have just come across this very useful thread.  It would be great if you could let me have anything you hold on 2/Lieut Robert Mather, King's Liverpool Regt, who is listed as #6466 on the Gloucestershire soldiers index, and his brother 2/Lieut John Kearsley Mather, 1st York & Lancaster, #781.

If you have anything on other Mathers from Cheltenham I would be interested  - there were five, three killed.

Many thanks

Daggers

Hello Daggers

I hope the attached pictures are of some interest.

Meanwhile the following text  about the 3 brothers that were killed comes from the Book Leaving All That Was Dear by Graham Sacker and Joe Devereux, some of the details may be known to you but I thought it would be helpful.

Private Ellis Mather was born in Cheltenham on the 18th April 1891, the son of Arthur and Ethel Madeline Mather of Oakhurst, Parabola Road and later of Avonhill, Christchurch Road. He was educated at Cheltenham College between 1902 and 1909 after which he was in business with his brother Robert in Liverpool and volunteered immediately on outbreak of war to serve in the 17th Btn. Liverpool Regt (1st Liverpool Pals), raised by Lord Derby and he went to France with his brother Robert (q.v.) on the 7th November 1915, attached to A Coy. The book "Liverpool Pals" by Graham Maddocks relates that Ellis Mather was in the machine-gun section and was killed in action between the 10 -12th July 1916 during attempts by the 1st Pals to take Trones Wood, during the battle of the Somme. His body was eventually recovered on the 30th September and reported by the Officer Commanding 1st North Staffs Regt. as having been buried, but the place of burial was afterwards lost and therefore Private Mather is commemorated on the Thiepval Memorial. There is a photograph of him as a member of Cheltenham College Rugby Team in "The Graphic" of the 20th February 1909. His two brothers Robert and John (q.v.) were also killed in the war. Three other brothers, Horace, Oswald and William also served and survived.

Lieutenant John Kearsley Mather was born in Cheltenham on the 25th January 1890, the fifth son of Arthur Mather and Ethel Madeline, daughter of The Reverend Charles Francis Willis. He attended Cheltenham College between 1902 and 1908 from where he was accepted at the Royal Military College Sandhurst and gazetted a 2nd Lieutenant in the York and Lancaster Regt. on the 18th September 1909. He joined the 1st Btn at Quetta, India in December of that year and served there for five years, being promoted Lieutenant in 1911 and returning home with the Regiment in December 1914. Posted to France, he was in the Ypres sector when he was killed by shellfire at Verbrandmolen, Belgium and buried nearby. His grave was later lost and he is commemorated on the Menin Gate Memorial and in the chapel of the Military College. There is a photograph of him in "The Graphic" of the 27th February 1915. His brothers Ellis and Robert (q.v) were also killed in the war.

2nd Lieutenant Robert Mather was born in Cheltenham on the 3rd June 1895, the son of Arthur and Ethel Madeline Mather of Oakhurst, Parabola Road. He attended Cheltenham College between 1906 and 1912, after which he was in business in Liverpool with his brother Ellis. He volunteered on the same day as his brother for service in the 17th Btn. Liverpool Regt. (1st Liverpool Pals), raised by Lord Derby and served as No 15161, arriving in France, attached to A Coy on the 7th November 1915. The following is all that is known of his service in the ranks:

13 March 1916: Awarded 1 day Field Punishment No 1 for losing his gas helmet.

28 March 1916: Awarded 3 days Field Punishment No 1 for having a dirty valise.

7 August 1916: Appointed Acting Lance Corporal.

16 October 1916: Appointed Lance Corporal.

20 December 1916: Left the Battalion for England to train for a commission.

Robert was promoted 2nd Lieutenant and posted to the 20th Btn. Liverpool Regt. and his name appears twice in the War Diary On 10 August 1917 his Btn was in the Ypres sector and moved from Meteren to a camp in No 13 Corps Reserve area. 2nd Lieutenant Mather was appointed Orderly Officer to the rear of the Btn column for the duration of the journey and together with the Orderly Sergeant was detailed to take charge of the slow moving party. The 20th BM was disbanded on the 8th February 1918 at Chauny. east of Noyon, just prior to the German spring offensive and it is likely that he was attached to one of the other battalions of his regiment at the time of his death at Folies on the 27th March. He has no known grave and is commemorated on the Pozieres Memorial. There is a photograph of him in “The Graphic” on the 13th April 1918. His two brothers Ellis and John (q.v.) were also killed in the war. All three are commemorated on the grave of their father in Cheltenham borough Cemetery.

The brothers are also commemorated on the Christchurch Roll of Honour, which I could try to get a photo of if you wanted one.

Dave

John.JPG

Robert.JPG

Elllis.JPG

Robert_2.JPG

Ellis_1909.jpg

Hello Dink,

thank you so much for all your postings here.

I wondered if you might by any chance have an article about Major Rupert John Chabbert Meyricke? 

Rupert Meyricke was born in Cheltenham on 19 Jun 1877, and baptised in All Saints Cheltenham on 30 May 1878.   He attended Cheltenham College and lived in Nubia House on Lansdown Road - now demolished.  He was a career soldier in the RFA and was serving in 58th Bde RFA in Gallipoli when he was taken ill with dysentery.   He died from this disease in the Royal Naval Hospital, Bighi, Malta, on 26 Jan 1916 aged 38, and is buried in Pieta Military Cemetery, TTriq id-Duluri, Malta.  He is commemorated on the Cheltenham town war memorial, as well as in St Stephen's, Cheltenham and St Laurence, Ludlow, Shropshire.

All best wishes,

David.

Hello Dink

Thanks very much for the wealth of information on the Mather brothers of Cheltenham.

I know of Joe D as he has done an enormous amount of research on soldiers of The Kings Liverpool Regiment, but had not come across his Cheltenham book.

Ellis and Robert Mather had come to work in Liverpool by 1914 and are remembered on several local memorials.  Are you interested in details?

Thanks again

Daggers

On 10/8/2017 at 22:04, David26 said:

Hello Dink,

thank you so much for all your postings here.

I wondered if you might by any chance have an article about Major Rupert John Chabbert Meyricke? 

Rupert Meyricke was born in Cheltenham on 19 Jun 1877, and baptised in All Saints Cheltenham on 30 May 1878.   He attended Cheltenham College and lived in Nubia House on Lansdown Road - now demolished.  He was a career soldier in the RFA and was serving in 58th Bde RFA in Gallipoli when he was taken ill with dysentery.   He died from this disease in the Royal Naval Hospital, Bighi, Malta, on 26 Jan 1916 aged 38, and is buried in Pieta Military Cemetery, TTriq id-Duluri, Malta.  He is commemorated on the Cheltenham town war memorial, as well as in St Stephen's, Cheltenham and St Laurence, Ludlow, Shropshire.

All best wishes,

David.

David,

Rupert Meyricke's in the Leaving All That Was Dear Book may not tell you anything you did not know but just in case here it is. Though the detail about his will is contradicted by his very short Administration with Will details that are also attached

Regards

Dave

Major Rupert John Chabbert Meyricke was born on the 19th June 1877, the son of Edward Meyricke of the above address. He attended Cheltenham College between 1887 and 1894, from where he was accepted at the Royal Military Academy Woolwich. Commissioned into the Royal Artillery in 1897, he took part in the South African War in 1902, receiving the Queen's medal with three clasps and was promoted Captain in 1904 whilst serving in India. On the outbreak of the Great War he went to France with the expeditionary force and was subsequently recalled to England to train a unit for the Gallipoli campaign, going out with them to Suvla Bay in 1915. In January 1916 he was evacuated from Gallipoli to Malta where he subsequently died of blood poisoning in the Royal Naval Hospital there, being buried at Pieta Military Cemetery, Plot C, Row 11, Grave 1. In his will he left his entire estate valued at £2098 to Mabel Meyricke, spinster. Major Meyricke's brother Robert died of enteric fever during the South African wax and another brother Edward (twin brother to Robert) died in a steeplechase accident in 1905.

Meyricke.jpg

Dave,

thank you very much for that - that does confirm much of what I knew.  I also thought he had left everything to his one sister, Mabel, but hadn't seen the hand-written will so thank you for that.

As you may know, his older brother Robert is commemorated on the South African War Memorial in Cheltenham, which incidentally was unveiled by Gen Sir Ian Hamilton, who would be Rupert's (not terribly competent) CinC at Gallipoli.  (Photo attached).  As "R E Meyricke", it was perhaps inevitable that Robert would join the Royal Engineers!

59dd193210fc3_CheltSthAfricaWarMemorial(1).jpg.290f81d386eddf95555209ebdced2b16.jpgDo you by any chance have a photo of Rupert Meyricke?  There used to be one available from the Illustrated London News (via the Illustrated First World War) but that was removed a few years ago.

David.

• 2 months later...

Evening Dave,

I'm not sure whether you are still able to offer photos from the Cheltenham chronicle however I am looking for pictures of PTE George Griffett. I've checked Glos archives and there seems to be one on the 21st of October 1916. I've purchased a subscription for the BNA in order to get this picture and typically that date isn't listed! I also wondered whether there would be one of his brother James. 

** EDIT ** I should of mentioned that George was in c company 1/5th Glosters and I'm not sure whether they would have had photos in this paper also. 

You've done some great work here Dave.

Many thanks

Dan

Edited by Bean tool

Hello Dan

There appear to be 2 pictures of George, the one that you found for the 21st Oct 1916 and another (also in in group) dated 2nd Dec 1916, it which he is listed as GRIFFET. I have attached both for you. James does not show up on my list, so no image I'm afraid.

There are quite a few group images of the 1/5th Glosters but unfortunately but not many of them are named like these two.

As for the BNA site, the Cheltenham Chronicle that is on there is the printed edition. From 1901 to 1942 there was also a separate pictorial "Arts and Literary Supplement" which is not online, though the 1901 & 1902 editions have somehow been attached to the main Cheltenham Chronicle editions on the BNA site. See the first front page here.

Dave

909.JPG

DSCF8849.JPG

Morning Dave,

I cannot thank you enough for the time and effort youve put into this. You have made my day. Thank you Dave

Dan 

• 1 month later...

Hi, 

What a fascinating thread...I am tracing my family tree and would love to be able to see the photo listed in the Gloucestershire Graphic of my family members detailed below.

A huge thanks in advance

L

7249 08/04/1916 WILLIAMS Lewis _ Private 10th Gloucesters Charlton Kings Pictured with serving family members
7250 08/04/1916 WILLIAMS Fred _ Private 11th Gloucesters Charlton Kings Pictured with serving family members
7251 08/04/1916 WILLIAMS H _ Private 11th Gloucesters Charlton Kings Pictured with serving family members

7253 08/04/1916 WILLIAMS F  _ Private A.S.C. Charlton Kings Pictured with serving family members
7254 08/04/1916 WILLIAMS W  _ Corporal A.S.C. Charlton Kings Pictured with serving family members
7255 08/04/1916 WILLIAMS Frank _ Lance-Corporal R.E. Charlton Kings Pictured with serving family members
7256 08/04/1916 WILLIAMS G  _ Sapper R.E. Charlton Kings Pictured with serving family members

Hi Lorna,

Hope the attached photo of the Williams Family is of interest

Dave

89.JPG

Thank you so much - my Father was very emotional seeing their faces for the first time and finally being able to put faces to the names in our family tree. Very proud of my family!

Thanks again,
Lorna

I have been researching Private Percy T Bishop of the Gloucester Regiment and have come across the link to the Cheltenham Chronicle and Gloucestershire Graphic database where it states there is a photo of the 5 brothers; Percy, Joseph (Gloucester Reg), Frederick (Wilts Reg), Samuel (RAMC) and William Grenadier Guards. I have been able to locate 4 of the brothers in a family together, but William is very elusive even though he is recorded as died in WW1 a Grenadier Guard. There are 4 W. or William Bishops all with the Grenadier Guards, but I cannot link him with the rest of the brothers. So if anyone can shed some light on the Bishop brothers, I would be most grateful. Can we access the photograph which was recorded as 8th May 1915 Chalford? Thank you.

Hi Wendy,

The picture of the 5 brothers is attached. Looking at the image of William and the fact that it just states that he is dead leads me to think that he died pre war.

This gets us a bit off topic but will hopefully be allowed due to his brothers links to WW1

A William Bishop , Grenadier Guards is a bit hard to find, but searching for his brother Percy T Bishop got me to the 1881 census on which I think all 5 brothers pictured are recorded.

With William Bishop being Alfred W Bishop aged 15, so born about 1866, which makes him a bit old to have fought in WW1, though not impossible.

Name    Age

Alfd. Wm. Bishop             47

Dinah Bishop      33

Alfred W. Bishop             15

Blanche A. Bishop            12

Samuel Hy Bishop           10

Frederic E. Bishop           8

Emma J. Bishop               6

Percy T. Bishop               4

Joseph R. Bishop              3

Mary H.L. Bishop              1

Name    Age

Alfred Wm Bishop           37

Dinah Bishop      23

Alfred Wm Bishop          5

James Newman Bishop 4

Blanche Anne Bishop     2

Saml Henry Bishop         6 Months

As the family were from Gloucestershire you can use the free site Glos BMD to search for the brothers births and get their mother's maiden name.

Strangely Alfred William Bishop does not show up, but Percy and the others do with the mother's surname showing as NEWMAN.

Searching again leaving the surname blank, with Stroud as the district, year of birth 1865 +- 2 years and you get 2 hits that link to the 1871 census entry above

GARDINER    Alfred William    NEWMAN    1865    Stroud    Stroud, Bisley    9    157    
GARDINER    James Newman    NEWMAN    1866    Stroud    Stroud, Bisley    9    372

A marriage search come up with a Dinah Newman marrying a Alfred William Bishop Gardiner in Stroud district in 1864. So at some point after 1866 Alfred senior stops using the surname Gardiner.

The 1901 census show the following

Name                                    Age

Alfred William Bishop     67

Dinah Bishop      53

Alfred William Bishop   35 Army Pensioner

Elizabeth F J Bishop         19

G W M E Bishop                12

E Dorothy Bishop             11

A search for a death of an Alfred William Bishop in the local area gives us only one in 1903, aged 38, my guess it that would be your man William, though a final bit of info from the newspapers in 1915 does not indicate that William is deceased, it does tell you a bit more.

Dave

148.JPG

Glos_Chronicle_23_Jan_1915.jpg