Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Why Edinburgh Gazette and not London Gazette?

paulx1v

Hi

I am trying to locate a Military Medal citation from 1916...if it exists? I searched the London Gazette and drew a blank but a quick google search found the person in question but the award notice was in the Edinburgh Gazette.

The soldier in question is 1859 Pte E Brockless, Yorkshire Regiment and the year was 1916. Can anyone confirm if citations for Military Medals exist and why would a soldier from a Yorkshire regiment have his award notice posted in the Edinburgh Gazette and not London Gazette?

Thanks for your help,

Paul

Sadly, citations for the MM were not published.

The recipient would have had a copy. War diaries sometimes list MMs when awarded and occasionally mention the event they were awarded for. Another source would be the local newspaper at the time of the award.

I don't know why it should be the Edinburgh Gazette and not the London.

Roger.

Paul

1859 Pte. E. Brockless's MM was published in London Gazette #29719, dated 22nd August 1916, Page 8360. Link to it is here...http://www.london-ga...upplements/8360

The reason it wasn't found in your search was down to OCR problems rather than it not being there, the OCR seeing his surname as Brockjess.

As already mentioned citations for the MM weren't published in the Gazette.

Regards

Steve

Steve,

Thank you very much for that info. I never considered a spelling error as I thought the surname was quite uncommon so I figured it would pop up in searches easily!

Thanks again.

Paul

• 5 months later...

I have the same problem. I cannot find anything in the London gazette , only a mention in the Edinburgh Gazette of 27th October 1916.

I am, after many years and visits to the Kew Records office, trying to find out when my Father was awarded the MM and what he was awarded it for, any further ideas would be appreciated, I have tried searching what Commanders diaries that are at the records office with no luck.

Col

A small percentage (5% ?) of the original MM cards (the National Archive copies are microfilm scans of the front only) have details of the deeds on the back, but these are currently Privately held.

Steve.

Didn't know that Steve

I have the same problem. I cannot find anything in the London gazette , only a mention in the Edinburgh Gazette of 27th October 1916.

I am, after many years and visits to the Kew Records office, trying to find out when my Father was awarded the MM and what he was awarded it for, any further ideas would be appreciated, I have tried searching what Commanders diaries that are at the records office with no luck.

Col

I have the same problem but was able to narrow the time/ possible events down by finding my grandfather's name on a short list in the divisional diaries. Have not yet tried the local papers for that time but that has also been suggested.

Hazel

Notices appeared in the London Gazette, followed a couple of weeks later in the Edinburgh Gazette and Belfast Gazette.

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/browse-publications