Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

B Coy 9th Scottish Officer Cadet Battalion - Sept 1916 Photo

ph0ebus

On 11/14/2016 at 21:27, ph0ebus said:

Hi Ritchie,

Great to hear from you!  Will endeavor to take a close-up photo for you and will post it here.  If you send me an email to the following address I can email you a copy too, if you wish.  My address is

ph0ebus at optonline dot net 

Beat wishes,

Daniel

Hi Daniel,

thank you for your reply, I will 'e' mail you,

Best wishes,

Ritchie

Way back in this thread there was a question as to whether the building still exists.

It does, but has had some modern alterations, which appear to be the addition to the right of the building, but some features of the original façade are still recognisable..

It is the clubhouse of the Western Gailes Golf Club, located between Troon and Irvine.

45125689.jpg

On ‎5‎/‎10‎/‎2013 at 03:55, ph0ebus said:

The full photo, warts and all. Again, apologies for the quality.

2013-05-09_18-44-25_920 resized.jpg

Daniel

5 hours ago, TwoEssGee said:

Way back in this thread there was a question as to whether the building still exists.

It does, but has had some modern alterations, which appear to be the addition to the right of the building, but some features of the original façade are still recognisable..

It is the clubhouse of the Western Gailes Golf Club, located between Troon and Irvine.

45125689.jpg

And for anyone else who doesn't want to have to disappear back into the thread to compare...

Thanks Andrew, apologies for not doing the decent thing and adding the original photo.

Maybe someone with the required expertise could merge the two photographs.

• 3 months later...

Hello,

I have just come across this group photo while trying to research my maternal grandfather on behalf of my mother.  Her father was Frank T Arnott who appears in the third row of this picture.  My mother would love a close-up photo of him as she has until now never seen a photo of him from WW1.  He never once spoke of his experience of WW1 but spoke more of WW2.  He was a doctor, and on returning to the UK became the GP at Bovey Tracey in Devon.  He died there in 1967.

With kind regards.

On ‎3‎/‎8‎/‎2017 at 10:09, Moorlands said:

Hello,

I have just come across this group photo while trying to research my maternal grandfather on behalf of my mother.  Her father was Frank T Arnott who appears in the third row of this picture.  My mother would love a close-up photo of him as she has until now never seen a photo of him from WW1.  He never once spoke of his experience of WW1 but spoke more of WW2.  He was a doctor, and on returning to the UK became the GP at Bovey Tracey in Devon.  He died there in 1967.

With kind regards.

Hi Moorlands,

Just seeing your post now, as I have been away from the forum for some time.  I will post a close-up here for you of Mr. Arnott either tonight or tomorrow.

-Daniel

On 5/18/2013 at 06:46, PPCLI said:

Third Row:

Thomas Frank Arnott, Ayrshire Yeomanry, 26/09/1916, LG Issue 29774, 05/10/1916, p9657

Formerly Pte 1777, Royal Army Medical Corps & Pte T4/237307, Royal Army Service Corps

2nd Lieutenant, Ayrshire Yeomanry; Lieutenant, Reserve Regiments of Cavalry

Moorland, Bovey Tracey, Devon

17264319_10210249377163510_1531726363133

On 04/12/2016 at 12:19, TwoEssGee said:

Thanks Andrew, apologies for not doing the decent thing and adding the original photo.

Maybe someone with the required expertise could merge the two photographs.

My attempt.

cadets.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Wonderful.  My mother will be delighted.  Her brother (spitting image of his father) died only a couple of years ago, and was still living in the family home, Moorlands, in Bovey Tracey; my mother and father live just a few hundred yards away.  TF Arnott also fought in WW2 and was present at the signing over of Singapore from the Japanese at the end of the war.    My grandfather was one of the doctors in charge of bringing POWs from Changi back to health, having to prevent them from death through over eating after such a long period of severe malnutrition.

Many thanks once again,

• 3 years later...

Good evening, Daniel,

I'm very grateful to have come across this thread as my grandfather, William Alexander Adams CAIRNS ('Sandy') is in the front row of your picture. After he was commissioned he was wounded with the 7th Battalion Argyll & Sutherland Highlanders in France (near Arras) in 1917, was sent back to the UK and then caught trench fever, coincidentally also near Arras, when he returned to the same Battalion in 1918. He survived the war and continued life as a solicitor in Edinburgh. Sadly he died in Edinburgh in 1950, shortly before I was born so I never met him.

I should like to ask if you'd be kind enough to post an enlarged photo of him (front row, fourth from left) as you seem to have done for others. However, I don't seem to be able to see the others when I click on them. I'm a new boy to the GWF so perhaps I'm doing something wrong? is there a way to see them other than just by clicking on them, I wonder, please? 

In any event, thank you for sharing the main photo and thereby generating so much terrific posts from the other contributors.

Best wishes,

Iain

On 08/01/2021 at 14:33, Superjock said:

Good evening, Daniel,

I'm very grateful to have come across this thread as my grandfather, William Alexander Adams CAIRNS ('Sandy') is in the front row of your picture. After he was commissioned he was wounded with the 7th Battalion Argyll & Sutherland Highlanders in France (near Arras) in 1917, was sent back to the UK and then caught trench fever, coincidentally also near Arras, when he returned to the same Battalion in 1918. He survived the war and continued life as a solicitor in Edinburgh. Sadly he died in Edinburgh in 1950, shortly before I was born so I never met him.

I should like to ask if you'd be kind enough to post an enlarged photo of him (front row, fourth from left) as you seem to have done for others. However, I don't seem to be able to see the others when I click on them. I'm a new boy to the GWF so perhaps I'm doing something wrong? is there a way to see them other than just by clicking on them, I wonder, please? 

In any event, thank you for sharing the main photo and thereby generating so much terrific posts from the other contributors.

Best wishes,

Iain

Hi Iain,

Thanks for your kind words!  I will dig out the picture and will post a closeup in a little bit.

Best wishes,

Daniel

On 08/01/2021 at 14:33, Superjock said:

Best wishes,

Iain

Hello Iain,

Is this the right man?

Daniel

6B702A73-7E06-479C-8AFD-6DCA3AA25A0C.png

I had forgotten about this thread until yesterday when I was looking at my photos for another purpose and rediscovered this:

scan0004-(2).jpg.48e44a9473b22d7bae946674f86e51eb.jpg

I believe this is the same picture and suggests it was produced as a commercial postcard.

So far I have not laid my hands on my original just the scan I made when I bought it.

BTW this is a fantastic thread.

Chris

Dear Daniel,

Thank you very much for your efforts on my behalf but I now realise I've been a dolt. I should have said front row, fourth from the right (not fourth from the left). Mea culpa and please acccept my sincere apologies. I've tried snipping and enlarging from Chris' copy, just posted (thanks Chris), but your blow-up, albeit of the wrong man, was better than my efforts. If your patience is not exhausted (and I'd quite understand if it was), please would you have a go at posting an enlarged shot of the man in the friont row, fourth from the RIGHT.

With an embarrassed best wishes,

Iain  

3 hours ago, Superjock said:

Dear Daniel,

Thank you very much for your efforts on my behalf but I now realise I've been a dolt. I should have said front row, fourth from the right (not fourth from the left). Mea culpa and please acccept my sincere apologies. I've tried snipping and enlarging from Chris' copy, just posted (thanks Chris), but your blow-up, albeit of the wrong man, was better than my efforts. If your patience is not exhausted (and I'd quite understand if it was), please would you have a go at posting an enlarged shot of the man in the friont row, fourth from the RIGHT.

With an embarrassed best wishes,

Iain  

No worries!  How’s this?

2D541BA3-8A9F-4073-ABD6-0B48BBBF85EC.jpeg

Dear Daniel,

This is terrific and couldn't be better. Thank you so much and apologies again for the extra trouble caused by my mistake.

With best wishes,

Iain

6 hours ago, Superjock said:

Dear Daniel,

This is terrific and couldn't be better. Thank you so much and apologies again for the extra trouble caused by my mistake.

With best wishes,

Iain

No worries at all!  Very happy to have been of help.  Greetings from New York!

Daniel

• 4 months later...

Hi Daniel,

any chance you could do close up photos of 2 men for me please.  I'm doing casualty research on the Cameronians and there are 2 officers, I dont have photos of yet, in this picture.

They are A.T.Gray (back row, 5th from left) &  A.B. Smith (5th row and 14th from left).  I assume these are the right positions from your previous posts.

Thanks for your excellent work on this.

Regards,

Smithy

On 25/05/2021 at 13:03, Smithy26 said:

Hi Daniel,

any chance you could do close up photos of 2 men for me please.  I'm doing casualty research on the Cameronians and there are 2 officers, I dont have photos of yet, in this picture.

They are A.T.Gray (back row, 5th from left) &  A.B. Smith (5th row and 14th from left).  I assume these are the right positions from your previous posts.

Regards,

Smithy

Hi Smithy,

Sorry for the late reply, I will work on getting these for you.  I will post them here as soon as I am able.

Daniel

On 26/05/2021 at 03:03, Smithy26 said:

Hi Daniel,

Regards,

Smithy

I believe this should be AT Gray:

0AAC447B-0F79-4ACA-B3C3-7F421616D790.png.bf555ee4a7198194620e9bbab345e99c.png

On 26/05/2021 at 03:03, Smithy26 said:

Hi Daniel,

Regards,

Smithy

This should be AB Smith (Center):

10A57E96-E264-461F-BAD2-EE030E9FF50D.png.8d44c3090d0f8824af513c23f91348e1.png

0AAC447B-0F79-4ACA-B3C3-7F421616D790.png.bf555ee4a7198194620e9bbab345e99c.png

3 hours ago, Smithy26 said:

Thanks ph0ebus, these are great - such clear pictures from small original.

Cheers,

Smithy

Happy to help, indeed having a crisp original is certainly helpful in creating individual portraits.

Daniel

• 1 year later...

Good afternoon, its a older topic but hope still active. I have interesse in the photo you posted. Because i have a helmet named to on of the officers how is on this photo, Daniel James Bayley. Bayley whas KIA 21 March 1918, he whas with the 7th Gordon Highlanders in that moment,  he is the person on the fourth row(from left to right number 14. M'n quistion is, if you still have this photo if it is possible to make a good scane of this photo?

With kind regards, Hans 

• Admin

Welcome to the forum. @ph0ebus is still visiting the forum.My tag will hopefully alert him to your post. 

2 hours ago, Michelle Young said:

Welcome to the forum. @ph0ebus is still visiting the forum.My tag will hopefully alert him to your post. 

Indeed I am, though have been largely away from the forum (and genealogical/ Great War research) for the last few months.  My mother, age 91, had her health go off a cliff back in November and I have been largely occupied with ensuring her care is being properly done after five months in the hospital and various rehabs.

Hans, I will pull and take a close up photo of the man in question for you, probably tomorrow.  As an aside, my father’s name was Hans.  Very nice to meet you!

Greetings from New York,

Daniel