Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

B Coy 9th Scottish Officer Cadet Battalion - Sept 1916 Photo

ph0ebus

Hi all,

I went to a local antique store to pick up a Brodie they had, but ended up picking up a large group photo of the unit above instead. The photo has every man named. The photo was originally part of a grouping to a man named Monroe but the rest of it (including his uniform) was all sold off. I will be working on transcribing the names of the men in the photo and will be posting them as soon as I can. I plan on framing and hanging it above my bar once I find a suitable frame. I will also post the photo when time permits...I hope the information is helpful to someone here.

Daniel

Hi Daniel,

Looking forward to viewing your transcription. Always interested in any KOSB men or names that I can trace back to south-west Scotland.

Cheers,

Stuart

Hi Stuart,

Can do. There were a few surnames listed that are common to my own family (on the Scottish side, of course) which cinched the deal...probably not related but who knows? :)

Daniel

So, I'll start with the back row and work my way forwards. There are well over 100 men in the photo and the print is light so please bear with me.

Back (7th) Row:

J. Collins

P.D. Bissett

R.C. Spence-Ross

J.W. Taylor

A.T. Gray

J.B. Herd (or Heyd)

F.C. Slater

R.?. Craig

C. Lawrence

R. Henderson

L.S. Wilson

W.F. Walker

N.S. Mackey

H.J. Wheatley

R.E. Huggan

G.G. Lean

John M. Paterson

Thos. M. Lawrie

I have not had a spare moment to look anyone up yet. Will post the 6th row men in a little while.

Daniel

Sixth Row:

Saml McGaw

J.C. Murray

W.G. Murray

T.P. Johnston

D.W. Melne

G.C.M. Gardiner

Geo D. Munro *

G.?.W. Anderson

R.P. McLellan

D. Deig

A.D. Cairns

A. McFarlane

E.G. Davis

F. Dougherty

A.V. Stewart

M. Matheson

C.L. Cheyne

W. Steel

Spencer S. Fowlie

W.L. Rennie

*This may be the man whose photo this was.

Fifth Row:

Alex D. Humble

G.M. Dean

L.A. Blackhall

B.K. Higgins

A.M. Henderson

J.H. Harris

Donald Ross

J. Morison

Andrew Smith

J.C. Adamson

J.L. Raitt

A.G. Armit

J.H. Clegg

A.B. Smith

K.B. Thomson

S.S. Raper

J.A. Aucrum

A. Stanley

N.W. Ross

S.E. Hart

A cropped and resized close-up of a photo of the picture....sorry, my scanner is on the fritz.

post-32240-0-53317200-1368154319_thumb.j

Daniel

Daniel:

Row 5, Alex D. Humble may be Alexander Deans Humble, formerly No. 3842, Argyll & Sutherland Highlanders, on list of British Officer POWs (Ancestry.com)

as 2nd Lieutenant, 8th A&S Highlanders, reported missing 15 May, 1917, repatriated 2 January 1919. Western Theatre of Operations.

Row 7, R.E. Huggan appears to be Robert Elliott Huggan, formerly No. 3840 Highland Light Infantry (HLI), Commissioned 18/12/16 9th HLI, att'd to 3rd/1st King's African Rifles, died 29 May, 1918, age 25, buried Mangochi Town Cemetery, East Africa. Parents: William and Margaret Huggan, 41 Gassie Street, Shawlands, Glasgow.

Row 5, A. G. Armit may be Allan Gordon Armit, originally Pvt., No. 79181, 31st Battalion CEF. In France 18/09/15. Commissioned Gordon Highlanders MIC doesn't show which battalion.

Row 7, A.T. Gray may be Alexander Tudhope Gray, originally Pvt., No. (M?)2/120541, ASC, Egypt 24/10/15, commissioned 18/12/16. KIA 21/04/17, age 35,

2nd Lieut., 6th Scottish Rifles att'd 10th Scottish Rifles. Son of Major and Mrs. T. Gray of 1 Chapel Street, Carluke, Lanarkshire; husband of Rosina Gray, 16 Blenkarne Road, Wandsworth Common, London. Arra Memorial.

Row 6, Spencer S. Fowlie, appears to be Spencer Stephen Fowlie, originally Pvt., No. 3335, 4th Gordon Highlanders, France 25/03/15. Commissioned 18/12/16

6th Seaforth Highlanders, M.C.

Note that the commission dates that were listed on their MICs are all 18/12/16.

Chris

Daniel:

Row 5, Alex D. Humble may be Alexander Deans Humble, formerly No. 3842, Argyll & Sutherland Highlanders, on list of British Officer POWs (Ancestry.com)

as 2nd Lieutenant, 8th A&S Highlanders, reported missing 15 May, 1917, repatriated 2 January 1919. Western Theatre of Operations.

Row 7, R.E. Huggan appears to be Robert Elliott Huggan, formerly No. 3840 Highland Light Infantry (HLI), Commissioned 18/12/16 9th HLI, att'd to 3rd/1st King's African Rifles, died 29 May, 1918, age 25, buried Mangochi Town Cemetery, East Africa. Parents: William and Margaret Huggan, 41 Gassie Street, Shawlands, Glasgow.

Row 5, A. G. Armit may be Allan Gordon Armit, originally Pvt., No. 79181, 31st Battalion CEF. In France 18/09/15. Commissioned Gordon Highlanders MIC doesn't show which battalion.

Row 7, A.T. Gray may be Alexander Tudhope Gray, originally Pvt., No. (M?)2/120541, ASC, Egypt 24/10/15, commissioned 18/12/16. KIA 21/04/17, age 35,

2nd Lieut., 6th Scottish Rifles att'd 10th Scottish Rifles. Son of Major and Mrs. T. Gray of 1 Chapel Street, Carluke, Lanarkshire; husband of Rosina Gray, 16 Blenkarne Road, Wandsworth Common, London. Arra Memorial.

Row 6, Spencer S. Fowlie, appears to be Spencer Stephen Fowlie, originally Pvt., No. 3335, 4th Gordon Highlanders, France 25/03/15. Commissioned 18/12/16

Note that the commission dates I could find on these are all 18/12/16.

Chris

Wow! These are a fine start to researching these men. I have little experience researching Scottish soldiers, so I will need all the help I can get. I wonder where the photo was taken?

I just transcribed the next two rows of men and will list those names shortly. One even has a rank associated with it, which I hope helps with a positive ID.

Thanks!

Daniel

Fourth Row:

T. Fotheringham

John Morgan

John Dunbar

A.H. Craig

I.C. Falconer

Q.G. Blane

C.A. Farquharson

Sergt. W.C. McMurray

C.F. Cooke

G.H. Wainwright

A. Law

D. Irwin Durham

D.M. Cowan

D.J. Bayley

G.C. Muirhead

D.A. Macadie

A.H. Grove

R.A. Watson

John D. Riddel

Hi Daniel,

I tried (unsuccessfully) to send you a PM yesterday evening, so emailed you using the contact on your web site. It was just to say that I have been going through the surnames adding given names, regiments, dates of commission and London Gazette dates. I can confirm all the names given by Chris.

Stuart

Third Row:

W.H. Sutherland

J.B.M. Young

W.G. Scott

Jas. Taylor

J.F. Campbell

A. McDougall

D.H. Paterson

A.M. Ewatt (Ewart?)

W.E.G. Brown

S. Crawford

W.T. Ramply

N.V. Harrison

A.C.B. Lennox

J. Marshall

A.R. Tudor

F.N. Robertson

A. Fraser

T.F. Arnett

C.A. Stevens

P. McKinnie

Hi Daniel,

I tried (unsuccessfully) to send you a PM yesterday evening, so emailed you using the contact on your web site. It was just to say that I have been going through the surnames adding given names, regiments, dates of commission and London Gazette dates. I can confirm all the names given by Chris.

Stuart

Hi Stuart,

Sorry about the PM issue...I guess I need to clear out my mailbox again! :)

Great news re: the men. As men are identified, once I get my scanner working properly, I hope to add named pictures to this thread, and perhaps make a web page...not sure yet.

Thanks for your interest, and I hope other folks find this as interesting as well.

Daniel

Hi Daniel,

Stuart

Hi Stuart:

I was just picking out some of the more uncommon surnames to poke through as I was on lunch--sounds like you're giving it a thorough go, so I will pass my baton to you.

Chris

Chris

Daniel - would it be possible to get a crop/scan of this man please.

I have him in my database but few details.

I shall do some digging here I think he may be related to Andrew T. Fowlie KIA 16/6/15 at Hooge, son of Son of Mr. and Mrs. P. Fowlie, of The Cottage, Strichen, Aberdeenshire. Andrew was a member of U(niversity) Coy in 1914

Chris

(With Thanks to Chris (BottsGreys) for the heads up!)

Daniel - would it be possible to get a crop/scan of this man please.

I have him in my database but few details.

I shall do some digging here I think he may be related to Andrew T. Fowlie KIA 16/6/15 at Hooge, son of Son of Mr. and Mrs. P. Fowlie, of The Cottage, Strichen, Aberdeenshire. Andrew was a member of U(niversity) Coy in 1914

Chris

(With Thanks to Chris (BottsGreys) for the heads up!)

Can do! Will get it to you as soon as possible. :)

Daniel

All the officers (so far identified) appear to have been commissioned with TF battalions, a high proportion of HLI, Gordons and Seaforths.

Stuart

Hi Daniel,

Would you mind checking the initials for P.D. Bissett (Back (7th) Row), please? The officer that fits with commission date is W.D. Bissett. Also, same row, could L.S. Wilson be J.S.? Fifth row, S.S. Raper, I found S.E. Raper. Same row, Aucrum is Ancrum.

Cheers,

Stuart

Stuart

I'd agree - if it was WD Bissett that would be good news - didn't he win a VC? There's an MIC for William Temple Rampley, Lovat Scouts on ancestry.

It sounds like an excellent research project. Good luck!

Regards

Colin

Hi Daniel,

Would you mind checking the initials for P.D. Bissett (Back (7th) Row), please? The officer that fits with commission date is W.D. Bissett. Also, same row, could L.S. Wilson be J.S.? Fifth row, S.S. Raper, I found S.E. Raper. Same row, Aucrum is Ancrum.

Cheers,

Stuart

Can do. I'll recheck and post the results as soon as I am able. As you can tell, the mounting board has some condition issues :blink: and the print is very light and has some damage in some spots. I'll do my best.

-Daniel

I wonder where the photo was taken?

The photo was taken at Gailes Camp, Ayrshire. I know this because I have several of these photographs (mostly 1917/18) and my wife's grandfather was the Regimental Sergeant Major there.

Ian

I think I have found the majority of the commissions promulgated in the London Gazette. If anyone can suggest candidates for the following names commissioned between Sep and Dec 1916, then please reply on this thread:

W. Steel

D.M. Cowan

Jas. Taylor

D.H. Paterson

W.E.G. Brown

J. Marshall

Cheers,

Stuart

The photo was taken at Gailes Camp, Ayrshire. I know this because I have several of these photographs (mostly 1917/18) and my wife's grandfather was the Regimental Sergeant Major there.

Ian

Outstanding! Do you know if the building pictured still stands?

Daniel

Folks:

I am off the grid, so to speak, for a family function this weekend but will finish the transcriptions and such forthwith.

Amazing what details have come to light in such a short time...amazing and humbling that folks are so skilled in this area of research. I will be most interested in learning more about the officers in the upcoming rows who have either wound or overseas stripes (or both?)...

Daniel (who needs to pay closer attention to the uniform threads)