Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Who or What is your Avatar

hmsk212

Mine is my Great Uncle William Edwin Griffith Thompson, 9th Lancers, who took part in the charge against the sugar factory at Audregnies, and the retreat from Mons. He was an RSPCA inspector before the War, so it was understandable given his love of animals that he joined a cavalry regiment. I am not certain exactly when he was wounded, but I assume it would have been once they were dismounted and used as stop gap infantry men. He was wounded by a bullet through the thigh which entered his abdomen. He was operated on a hospital near Boulogne, and his recovery appeared to be going well, until a blood vessel in his stomach ruptured, and his death was apparently quick and relatively painless. I have the original letter written to his parents by the Australian surgeon who operated on him, and describes praying with him, and reading from the Bible just before he died.

He comes from my fathers' side of the family, and looking at the photo below, I can definately see my father in him. Quite surreal really.

His brother Arthur served throughout the war in the South Wales Borderers and survived only to be killed in an accident with a motor bus in Oxford in 1920.

post-1048-1135943978.jpg

Edited by Matt Dixon

Mine is from a cylinder seal of the original Gilgamesh slaying the lion during his journey to see Utnapishtim in the Land of the Living. I'm planning to replace it with one of my paternal grandmother's father. It was taken in Egypt, and shows him at his desk, with a "thought bubble" of his wife and daughters set in above his head. He helped to build the railway that supported the Bull's campaigns in Mesopotamia (hence the Gilgamesh link).

Edited by Gilgamesh of Uruk

I found his unmarked grave, Plot 309 last year.

Geoff - If his grave is unmarked and you were able to find it why not put a proper grave stone on it?

Andy

Andy,

That is the intention and hopefully this will happen before the anniversary of his death in March of 2006. Difficult to explain but unfortunately the whole row of graves is unmarked and there is a disagreement as to which is actually 309/310. This should be sorted within the next two weeks.

Geoff

Guest chippler
I don't have one as i am too dumb to work out how to add one!!!!!!!!!!

Scottie.

click "my controls" which is at the top of the page in bold. Then, scroll down to "personal profile" on the left hand side in the control panel, and you should click "edit avatar settings" under that.

Now, you if you have a picture on your computer you would like to use, click "browse" next to "Upload a new image from your computer" and find a picture on your computer and upload it. Or, you could choose an avatar from the ones supplied by the site under "Choose an avatar from one of our galleries"

If you have any problems let us know.

- Chris

Maternal Grandfather, Henry Wilson Richardson, pre-War Yorkshire Dragoon, son of Goole, commissioned in 5th Batallion K.O.Y.L.I, to France 1915, shot, gassed, recovered, survived, ran the family coal business, Lt Col in the Home Guard during the Second War. A man of his time who did not let himself, his Family or his Country down when called upon to do his bit.

I Enclose a snippet of him from a photograph of a squad of Yorkshire Dragoons. He is wearing a different cap badge, and so are two of his chums, not the Yorkshire Dragoons worn by everyone else. Can anyone help with identification of this badge, please?

PS: I am just as proud of my other Granddad but have no photo for him as yet.

post-9906-1136593927.jpg

Guest chippler
Clive,

thank you very much for that, I am looking for a photo of the Ashes to add!!!!! :)

Regards,

Scottie.

Clive?! my name is Chris! :P

You can get this years photo of the ashes although you would have to crop out the Aussie team holding it haha

- Chris

Chris,

sorry about the 'Clive' and thanks again for the tip on how to post, I think I will play safe and try a copy of my Grandads Boer War phot instead,

Regards,

Scottie.

• 5 months later...

Mine is of my grandfather, Guardsman 8356 Edward Glendenning, Irish Guards. He went to Flanders with the first battalion and was seriously wounded when the Germans raided their trenches at Boesinghe on 14th July, 1917. After recovering, he went out again, with the second battalion this time. During the German Operation Michael the Irish Guards were sent in to steady the line but had great difficulty in finding it! They seemed to have solved this problem by a Captain Bambridge walking his company along the Paradis to Vieux-Berquin road until they were shot at! Edward got two machine gun bullets in his knee as a souvenir of this hair-raising bit of scouting.

I have a photograph of him taken in the 1960s talking to Captain Mumford and Field Marshall Lord Alexander - both officers of his in the first battalion.

Ian

Mine is now a Spitfire over the White Cliffs of Dover.

From the 1940 "Battle of Britain", when Britain and the Empire saved the world.

post-7376-1151161479.jpg

Was the cloth shoulder title of the Northumberland Fusiliers, as worn during WWI and is now the 1839, 1st or Royal Colour, the 5th Regiment of Foot(Northumberland Fusiliers) as attached

Graham.

My Grandfather Walter Collier. Queen's (Royal West Surrey) Regiment.

Chris C

Currently,a change,Ms Pauley Perrette of C5's NCIS,who plays a pathology technician in the series & is according to her biography a real life fully fledged Criminal Pathologist,a case of real life imitating "art"~Its a white coat thing!!

• 4 weeks later...

My chosen Avator is The Oxfordshire & Buckinghamshire Light Infantry cap badge on regimental colours.

I chose this because my father and grand father served with this regiment.

Lyndon.

Change it as often as I change my socks.

Well, almost :D - currently the 'logo' of those great film-makers, Powell and Pressburger, aka "The Archers".

Mine is now a Spitfire over the White Cliffs of Dover.

From the 1940 "Battle of Britain", when Britain and the Empire saved the world.

Oh no it's not...... :blink:

The future Mrs. Hazell.

Roland. :rolleyes:

But only in a parallel universe..... ;)

My paternal grandfather Charles Albert Prince.

The photo was taken in 1910. He served with the 1st Bn and 2nd Bn Royal Fusiliers (City of London).

Landed at Galipolli with the Fusilier Brigade was wounded there and sent to Egypt.

(I have that scarlet tunic in the photo plus his swagger stick).

One of his younger brothers was killed at Neuville-Vitasse, Battle of Arras 1917 (see below).

Interesting bloke my grandfather. He spent some time between the wars in the London Fire Brigade. Was in the AFS during the Blitz and then was sent to India in 1942 as a Fireman taking him full circle back to India where he served with the Royal Fusiliers prior to the Great War. I have all his papers from WWII and had never heard about British Fireman sent to India in anticipation of another Blitz, this time from the Imperial Japanese forces.

The Militär Verdienstkreuz... sometimes a Fokker Dr I