Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Who or What is your Avatar

hmsk212

Just to add mine to this fine list

Tyne Cot where I have adopted a grave of a private of the Cheshire Regiment who had previously been with the South Lancashire's, Pte Halford, chosen for the above as I lived in Warrington and we had a big Halfords store and as Warrington is now in Cheshie it used to be in South Lancashire and then I found out he came from Warrington!

Mandy

Mine are drawings that I have done.

my avatar is of 3101 pte thomas turley of the 1/7 worcesters, killed in action 1st september 1916. picture found by andrew johnson

enoch

My avatar is from my book 'The Victor Heroes.' It shows a picture by Sir William Orpen (R.A), "The Manchesters, Arras. Just out of the trenches near Arras. Been through the battles of Ypres and Somme untouched. Going home to Sheffield to be married." (By kind permission of IWM, London).

I chose it because of its simplicity and style, and because my grandfather was at Arras, and at the time my son was at university in Sheffield. I often wonder if the subject got through to return to his new wife, I hope so!

Mine are drawings that I have done.

Ditto Kim's comment! I'd love to see more of your work.

My current avatar is fairly straightforward. The emblem of the United States Marine Corps, an American Bald Eagle and the US National Ensign.

Regards,

~Dan

Which i would love to see more of!

Ditto Kim's comment! I'd love to see more of your work.

Thank you Kim & Dan

If anyone is interested copies of three of my drawings are on sale or will be by next week at Essex Farm. Frans is selling them and all money goes to the Diggers.

Annette

Here is part of one of them

Thank you Kim & Dan

If anyone is interested copies of three of my drawings are on sale or will be by next week at Essex Farm. Frans is selling them and all money goes to the Diggers.

Annette

He's so real, Annette!

My avatar is my great grandafther percial Dawes.

Marina

Mine, In the absence of a photograph of the man himself, the badge of the Regiment of my Great Grandfather George White. The Royal Warwickshire Regiment.

Stephen

Remembering someone's beloved daughter, her strong sense of self, and the path of duty she chose to walk (see link in signature below regarding Pfc. Sam W. Huff ):

post-1571-1127271687.jpg

post-1571-1127272167.jpg

Remembering someone's beloved daughter, her sense of self, and the path of duty she chose to walk (see link in signature below):

I noticed this young ladies death a while ago whilst researching recent casualties in 'Mesopotamia' a very noble thing to do, I think I might join you if that's ok?

I can't remember if I replied to this when it was new ... but, my avatar is the picture of me and my one-true-love, girl of my dreams, Lauren while at the Menin Gate ... our friend and guide Tom Morgan had brought us forward to be photographed with the buglers (what a touristy thing to do!) and we were honored.

EV01_D09__180_Ypres_-_Menin_Gate_-_Last_

Much has changed since then but never my emotional awe about WWI & Ieper or my love for my wife and friend ...

Thank you Kim & Dan

Annette

Diggers??? The current or the past?

Love your work.

Re. Miss Sam

As each person chooses to enlist in their countries armed forces, they put their country and the love of fellow man, ahead of themselves. A noble and often misunderstood path for them to take. To put one's life on the line, for the sake of your fellow countrymen deserves to be applauded- unfortunatly, more often than not, it is derided due to the politics involved.

May she, and others who go to the troubled spots of our world, only to lose their lives, rest in peace, in the knowledge that they tried to make a difference.

regards

Kim

Soren:

Very nice! RIP: 2Lt Richard Shearer, Pte Leon Spicer and Pte Phillip Hewett.

Kim:

Thanks for the nice sentiment--very well said.

Chris

Soren:

Very nice!  RIP: 2Lt Richard Shearer, Pte Leon Spicer and Pte Phillip Hewett.

Kim:

Thanks for the nice sentiment--very well said. 

Chris

We can't talk about them on this forum, but at least this way they are in our thoughts at least.

God bless them.

Mine is of my great uncle - 22340 Pte Daniel Taylor of the 12th HLI missing in action in the Loos area just after the battle had ended, he only lasted a month - which I guess is in some ways a blessing.

Alistair

Mine is referring to the Canadian Scottish Regiment.

This regiment was one of the first Canadian regiments to fight outside Canada in a real battle-situation.

This happened in/near Kitchener's Wood (not so far from where I am living in St.-Julien) after the first German gasattacks on April 22 1915.

Members of this regiment are still wearing badges with acorn on oak leave, referring to their fights in Kitchener's Wood.

As much as I'd like to say that mine was a Government issue Kung-Fu throwing star, it ain't. It's simply the badge of the Devonshire Regt. It's where I live and who I portray. The Regiment may be gone, but I'm keeping them alive.