Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Who or What is your Avatar

hmsk212

He looks pretty classy and was an ordinary lad , but must have been just emerging as a person and to be 21 and to die?? Avatars are more meaningful than we all thought.

How about a discussion on all the photos we DONT like of WW1

Just a thought???!!

Lindsey

My avatar shows my youngest son Michael in his ATC uniform at the graveside of a local soldier buried at Tynecot.

This was taken on one of his many visits to Ypres and Poperinge with his Air Training Corps Squadron.

Sadly Michael lost his battle against cancer three years ago.

John

Guest Benoit Douville

My avatar is the Naval German Imperial flag. I have to mentionned that this avatar is totally apolitical because I am glad, being a Canadian that we won the Great War but I have to admit that I have a fascination for the German Army and it's History as well.

Regards

What I wish I had now ... sniffle, ache, whine, complain.

Just hot water and a qtr/teaspoonful of sugar please...

Lovely.

post-8-1102459279.jpg

Hi

Mine is the cap badge of Pricess Beatrice's Isle of Wight Rifles, the 8th Battalion the Hampshire Regiment, (T 8 HANTS). In fond memory of some of the nicest old gentlemen it was ever my privelege to meet. Gareth

Hang on a minute Dave,

[the capbadge of my old regiment, the QLR which (through amalgamations) has more battle honours than any other British Regiment (that doesn't cheat and use "Ubique" )]

Now I've heard it all - claiming battle honours by amalgamtion!! Lets face it, you choose you're friends but you're stuck with you're relatives!

As far as Ubique is concerned we don't have to "cheat" because the clue is in the title - "Everywhere" means exactly that - and before any wag quips in "surely Ubique means all over the place" - most individuals batterys in todays RA have more so called "battle honours" than you can shake a stick at - and thats mostly without amalgamation (because by and large we place a battery in suspended animation when its not in active status) and they can mostly trace their own largely undiluted histories back to their earliest origins (in my battery's case back to 1 Nov 1794) - so lets not get picky on this on this one!

Yours (rising to the bait again!)

David

• 6 months later...

After all this tme I finally can talk about my own avatar!

This is me standing next to the local war memorial in Arlington Virginia. Its the one which started out as WWI only, but subsequent names have been added for the wars since then. As some of you may remember, its also the one which lists the Great War vets by race. The stone is taken from the same location as the more famous Unknown Soldier grave in Arlington National Cemetary, and the cannons which surround the moument have fired on the Brits (1812), Mexicans (1845), Yankees (1865).

Cool... I feel like I've really joined the ranks of an Old Sweat.

Andy

ps... of course the image is so small, you'll have to take my word on most everything I said!

:D

Mine is the sun setting over 38th Div Dragon at Mametz one of the places I always visit when going to the Somme. This March we sat and listened a recording of a Radio programme recorded at this spot and included eye witness accounts of the various attacks undertaken by 38th Div- a very moving moment.

Since I am an elderly ex-pat Briton living in the '60s USA and butlering for two gay crime fighting superheroes who possess a penchant for revealing lycra; both as camp as a row of tents and use a brush-covered cave as a garage. (And no, it's not Mr Tron and 'young friend' of his; vide the censured thread a few months back.) 

Alfred

Damn, where's my secret anti-avatar spray when I need it?

You haven't had a walkon part in any of Clint Eastwoods' spaghetti movies by any chance?

Viva Zappata!

Mine is Heinz Rühmann as Wilhelm Voigt, better known as "Der Hauptmann von Köpenick."

The gentleman basically brassed his way as an officer, took control of some troops he came across, and stole the money of a local government in Berlin.

Pretty funny story, and a pretty funny movie.

Paul

Mine is the sun setting over 38th Div  Dragon at Mametz one of the places I always visit when going to the Somme.

The memorial to the 38th Division at Mametz is my favourite place on the Somme.

A nice place to have a spot of lunch and sit and contemplate a while. A fitting memorial I think.

My Avatar is of my Grandmother Mary Hooper who was a Munitions worker in London, picture was taken in 1915.

Regards,

Donna :)

William Clay Hepburn, colliery manager, Captain in The Monmouthshire Regiment and OC 172nd Tunnelling Company, 1915. The photo below is from John Dixon's excellent Surrender Be Damned, the drawing is from 172's 1915 Christmas magazine.

Regards

Simon

post-1722-1120468179.jpg

post-1722-1120467936.jpg

Mine is pretty self explanitory. It is in rememberance of the horses and mules that pulled the guns, carried the men, and carried the wounded, through scorching heat, freezing weather and often bogged to the point that they were shot to put them out of their misery.

They are some of the truly forgotten heroes of the war. They did not ask to go to war and they suffered alongside their masters.

This avatar is of an nineteen year old mare (retired, due to my inability to ride anymore). She is of the type, that the horses were, that made up the Light Horse.

Not bad for nineteen!

Cheers

Kim

post-6083-1120473680.jpg

• 2 months later...

Mine is a picture of my Great Uncle, Grover Carter. He was a US Army Lieutenant from Memphis, Tennessee. He spent is entire service attached to BEF as a physician. I inherited his diary. It's transcription led me to this forum and all the helpful folks here.

Ann Kimzey

Mines from a sketch of the cap badge of the 11th Battalion Border Regiment, the Lonsdale Pals Battalion-coloured  orange to make the lettering stand out(alright so you still can't read it at 150x150 pixels but I know it's there and it makes the avatar more colourful)

Now it's a copy of the Lonsdales cap badge owned by a friend of mine from Hants and photographed for me.

This is my uncle, John Edward Tunney, who was killed near Boesinge at the age of 19 and buried at Bard Cottage Cemetery. He is pictured in the uniform of the Kings Shropshire Light Infantry but he was later transfered to the 10th Battalion Welsh Regiment where he served and was involved in the action at Pilckem Ridge in 1917. He was a Lewis Gunner

David

Mine shows my Grandfathers medals in a frame with his photo and cap badge as framed by my wife.

He was in the service from 1912 to 1933 and missed it so much went back in in 1939-45 in admin.

Never to be forgotten.

Tony

Mine is a drawing of a British soldier at Gallipoli, although I'm in the mood to change it!!

Maybe to a drawing of a modern-art sculpture in Trafalgar Square. :P

Roland. :)

Seeing the thread has been removed, and that some personally abusive posts  were made, I think that subject is best left really.

Sorry, you are right.I did not agree with your point of view but i do enjoy your art and think you got a rough ride.ok no more.

Best wishes , keep on drawing !

Roland :)

If you ever feel like doing a drawing of a Labour Corps Sgt...... B)