Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Who or What is your Avatar

hmsk212

Mine is my Granddad - Pte Percy Smith - see signature... Unfortunately I don't possess a photo of him in uniform and I never got the opportunity to meet him, so it is my way of remembering him.

no problem mate. We live on this ball on confusion to make it better I believe. Helping eachother is a good start... ;)

By the way don't forget the Belgian beer!

=it's me; I was told I am a direct descendant from a very brave breed whose achievements in WW1 should not be forgotten:

post-8-1094925074.jpg

Et Plastique Bertrand; avec les pantalons rouge de PVC

Et Plastique Bertrand; avec les pantalons rouge de PVC

ça plane pour moi! ;)

At the moment I am using a drawing of the Red Whortleberry, the badge of my Clan (Clan Davidson).

However, as a lot of the Pals know (especially from the early days of this site) I used to go through avatars at a rate of knots!

They have also included...

whose excellent avatar was a pressie from LEE!!!

And a damn fine avatar it is too mate!

And from Lee's Avatar Museum (soon to get a Lottery grant to expand it's gallery)....

The first Regiment I served with, 10 happy years of 27 in the Army the rest was very good as well.

John

post-8-1094937092.jpg

Mine's simply the cap badge of the 25th Battalion Royal Fusiliers (Frontiersmen) in honour of my Great Grandfather who served with them in East Africa before a transfer to the Labour Corps after contracting malaria.

Mine is my great uncle John William Lawton who served with the MGC and died on 14 Septemebr 1917 from wounds.

The original is about 18" wide by 24" high and is the only picture the family have of him. I also have one the same size of my grandfather, his brother, and both can be seen in the gallery.

Those of you with eagle eyes will have noticed the cap badge is the Bedfordshire Regiment in which they both enlisted.

Stu

The Badge of the Somerset Light Infantry

Mines from a sketch of the cap badge of the 11th Battalion Border Regiment, the Lonsdale Pals Battalion-coloured orange to make the lettering stand out(alright so you still can't read it at 150x150 pixels but I know it's there and it makes the avatar more colourful)

post-8-1095017196.jpg

Edited by spike10764

Guest AmericanDoughboy

I have been debating within myself whether to change my avatar or not, but at the moment it is a a cut-out from a painting of an American Officer in France, 1918.

-Doughboy

post-8-1095026761.png

My avatar is of me at a Great War Association battle event in Newville, Pennsylvania. It was snapped while we were checking our gear as we prepared for a raid.

Here are a few other event photos from the group I belong to

Vince

=it's me; I was told I am a direct descendant from a very brave  breed whose achievements in WW1 should not be forgotten:

Chester, I'm impressed with the montage. The photos of dogs in war time are very evocative and powerful. So is the picture of you by Egbert's grandfather's grave. Where is this exactly, please?

Thanks.

Gwyn

My dragon is home made. It changes its clothes and accessories with the moving seasons. Given that my name's Gwyneth, I think the connection is obvious!

When I'm in reflective mood, I sometimes decide to use to use a peace symbol. It's a photo I took in the reconstructed church at Bennwihr, Alsace, the village which was completely obliterated in the fighting for the Colmar Gap.

Gwyn

Edited by Dragon

QUOTE (Dragon @ Mon, 13 Sep 2004 11:22:56 +0000)

So is the picture of you by Egbert's grandfather's grave. Where is this exactly, please?

Thanks.

Gwyn

Thanks for your interest Gwyn: CWGC Merville Communal Annex

Mine is of my Great Uncle, Frank Henry Carr, 4th Royal Irish Dragoons. No idea when the pic was taken though.

Oh, and the avatar is only a tiny bit of the picture ... he's sitting on his horse.

Kate