Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Private Harry Birkett Tomlinson

dorrie

Hello all is anybody able to shed any light as to what company Harry Birkett Tomlinson was in when he died 1/7/1916. Harry I beleive came from Kirton Lindsey.

Thanks

Dorrie

Dorrie,

Cannot find a H Tomlinson on CWGC listed as KIA 1/7/1916 do you have a number for this man or other details??

Highly probable he came from Kirton, but also South Kelsey etc as Tomlinsons are widespread in North Lincs.

sorry got it all wrong his name is Harry Tomlinson Birkett. Should take my tiem when typing. He is remembered on Thiepval Mem. his Reg No was 1358 and he died at the age of 24 :o

Dorrie,

He is still listed as 10th Battalion by CWGC , do you have reason to think different???

He is:

Son of John Nicholson Birkett and Emma Birkett, of North Cliff House, Kirton Lindsey, Lincs.

So far as the company he was in, you would need a service record possibly or try the Lincs Regiment museum in Lincoln as I believe they hold some information.

No I have no reason to think different I thought I had put in the posting that he was in 10th battalion.

thanks for information

dorrie

Dorrie,

Forum member Chris Bailey has done some great research on the 10th Lincs and might be able to help you out. If he doesn't notice this thread over the next couple of days I'll bring it to his attention.

Jim

Hi.

I do have some info on this man, plus a picture from the paper, which i will dig out for you and post asap

Chris

Hi

Sorry for the delay, but annoyingly i still cannot find the photo of him, will keep looking though. Some basic info you may have. He joined the Chums in February 1915 with his mate 1359 Ernest Broadgate. He was a member of the town cricket, football and tennis clubs. According to the paper he was wounded by shelling before the attack started but after having it dressed proceeded to join the attack. As to what Company he was in, i cannot be sure, but given his number and the fact he went to France with the origianl contingent of Chums my best guess is D Coy, and it is only a loose guess. Like drake says you will need to see some written prove to know for sure.

Chris

Thanks for the information Chris. It makes sense that he was in the local sporting teams as his school record at King Edwrad's in Retford shows he was active in all sports and represented the school at football and cricket and set records in some of the athletic events.

Again many thanks

Dorrie

Sorry about the quality, but is as good as i could get it. Taken from a microfilm printout, but this is Harry Birkett

post-1-1095238638.jpg