Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Cocktails of the Great War

John_Hartley

I'm tracing the footsteps of a WWI American pilot who served with the RFC .  He died after being transferred back to an American squadron after their losses became heavy..  I had a trip planned and have tickets in hand for this coming fall to the UK and France.  My son and I were going to  trace his steps, old base locations, like Joyce Green, London Colney, Romsey, the still existing  pubs etc.  and his final flight path to just below Cambrai.  The situation with CV19  may put that off a year.  

I have been able to trace most of his training bases in the UK , postings in France and a few old haunts mentioned in letters home by him and others.  A lot of documents have been turned up and I think we can correct the historical record of his loss that was communicated to his family in 1918.

As far as this thread is concerned.  This drink is mentioned as a common one in the 74 squadron when they were at Clarmarais north of St Omer .  What goes into a 74 Viper cocktail?  Named for the Se5a engine I suppose.  .  Anyone know what it  was made with or what else was on the cocktail list of 74 Squadron whilst in France in 1918?     I'm also trying to find out if the Robey cafe, a place to have gatherings, certainly renamed by now, still exists in St Omer.      

Thanks 

Ken 

Harold_Goodman_Shoemaker.jpg

On 02/05/2020 at 21:23, KyushuJ7w said:

I'm tracing the footsteps of a WWI American pilot who served with the RFC

Ken, this sounds very interesting - I hope your trip goes ahead and that you'll treat us to a write up of his career and your visit. Unfortunately I have no idea about the Viper, though it does sound high octane if not indeed venomous. I remember 74 at Wattisham but they are not extant, at present. You could try the squadron association? http://74sqdn.tk/

16 hours ago, Neill Gilhooley said:

Ken, this sounds very interesting - I hope your trip goes ahead and that you'll treat us to a write up of his career and your visit. Unfortunately I have no idea about the Viper, though it does sound high octane if not indeed venomous. I remember 74 at Wattisham but they are not extant, at present. You could try the squadron association? http://74sqdn.tk/

I did try the association but no luck there.     I suppose I'll find it some day.     Did the RFC provide some spirits to the bases as a standard practice?  .

I doubt it, apart from ubiquitous rum, but I imagine they were well stocked. Someone else might chip in here. I've not read King of Air Fighters but it might stray into the mess at some point.

16 hours ago, Neill Gilhooley said:

I doubt it, apart from ubiquitous rum, but I imagine they were well stocked. Someone else might chip in here. I've not read King of Air Fighters but it might stray into the mess at some point.

I have that book in my library.     Have not read it in many years.   I'll have to take a  walk down stairs :)  Will let you know if I find a reference.   

Not a 74 Viper but one of the drinks of a WWI squadron 

40 squadron late 1917

On 28 December 1917, McElroy claimed his first victory at Drocourt-Vitry, while two other pilots from ‘Forty’ also scored hits. That night, the men stayed up late, with McElroy singing Irish ballads, accompanied by Mannock on his violin, while everyone knocked back the squadron’s signature cocktail, the ‘Ladykiller’, a concoction of whiskey, brandy, port and grenadine.    

French 75

Created during World War I, the name of this drink was supposedly inspired by the fact that taking a sip of it feels like getting shelled with a French 75mm field gun, a powerful piece of artillery.

- 2 oz gin
- 2 dashes simple syrup
- .5 oz lemon juice
- Champagne

Shake gin, simple syrup, and lemon juice with ice. Strain into a champagne glass. Top with champagne.

Another story on the 75 with a pilot developed twist. 

World War I fighter pilot Raoul Lufbery. Lufbery was of French and American descent, and champagne was pilots' intoxicant of choice. But, apparently, it wasn’t intoxicating enough for Lufbery, so he spiked it with a bit of Cognac. The cocktail he created did the trick—so much, in fact, that Lufbery reportedly said drinking it left him feeling like he was hit by a piece of war equipment known as the French 75mm. You can still order a French 75 from a knowledgeable mixologist, although sometimes the beverage is made with gin instead of Cognac.

Another story on the 75 with a pilot developed twist. 

Edited by KyushuJ7w

Well found!