Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

"Its a long way to Tipperary"

barkalotloudly

Just purchased this, not the best written book, but interestingly contains a comprehsive roll of honour of most of the nurses {all branches, and including Australia/New Zealand/South Africa etc} who died, however a there are a number of names against which which the cause of death is not known.

The writer admits there are about another 30 nurses who died but have not been included due to insufficient details, with sufficient time this would be a very interesting research subject.

The cause of death is known for all trained members of the British military nursing services. The fact that they are not included in the book is probably more due to lack of research time and space. I believe that the author later presented a fuller roll of honour to the Royal College of Nursing archives in Scotland, but as this is not in the public domain I have no idea how 'full' it is. There are service records for the trained British nurses at The National Archives in class WO399. The same author has been commissioned to write an official history of the British military nursing services, the first volume of which is due to be published later this year, so perhaps that will contain more details of the casualties, but again I think space might defeat it. And yes, Margaret Duckers is mentioned, but like most of the other women with just her name, age and date of death - her cause of death given as 'unknown.'

Sue

Sue, you know only too well that we are all just waiting until you write your book and we will be the first to get it. Of all the Pals on the forum you are the first one I ask for Nurses and Vads info and you always help or steer me/us in the right direction. Go on, you know you want to, share your database with the world.

Thanking you for all the past help.

Cheers.

Tom.

Thanks Tom, but I'm not sure that there would be much of a market for what I would write (or is that what I am writing?), which revolves around pay, conditions, gratuities, travel arrangements, pensions etc. Although I get asked about casualties, the nurses who died aren't usually of any research interest to me, though I agree there is a huge gap as there is no 'one stop' list online of even their names. As for databases, much of what I have here, and that's suitable for searchable databases is available online via a genealogy website.

Sue

i have managed to buy some loverly photo albums concerning the V A D`s at various hospitals, as well as some nice memoirs, books of letters etc The huge contribution made by women during the great war is such an interesting subject, the account of the Silvertown explosion in " I WAS THERE" is very worthwhile reading !