Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Householders Return 1914

jennifer41

Good Morning

I have recently read a circular letter, signed by Asquith, Bonnar Law and Henderson and dated December 1914, that invites individual householders to foward a return with the names of anyone in their house willing to enlist, to their local recruiting office. Do any forum members know if there is a record of how many Householder Returns were completed? (As the National Register, Group/Derby Scheme and then conscription followed, I am assuming it didn't have the effect desired by the Parliamentary Recruiting Committee)

There is a reference to the letter in Hansard on the 24th November (sorry I can't do links) but that relates to questions regarding sending the letter in Ireland.

Regards

Jennifer

• 2 years later...

Can anyone post a copy of one of these forms, please?

Kath.

• 2 weeks later...

I have read that 8,200,000 of the Forms were eventually delivered, and 44% were said to have been completed and returned. This didn't mean that the men who completed the form ended up as soldiers, since many subsequently changed their minds; or were found to be unfit; or their employers refused to release them for service. A number of forms were also incorrectly completed, for example by or on behalf of people manifestly over- or under-age, or ladies, etc.

The Scheme didn't work as a mass expression of willingness to enlist; but useful experience was gained both by the canvassers who delivered the forms and the recruiting officers. For example, by May 1915 the recruiters were ordered to prepare lists of all males of military age in their areas in advance of canvassing for the later Derby Scheme.

Clive

Can anyone post a copy of one of these forms, please?

Kath.

I do have one of those letters and it's envelope, however they are both sealed in a double sided glass frame, I don't know how well they will photograph but I will try to do so in about one week.

khaki

.post-29707-0-51610000-1433095424_thumb.j

Hello Kath,

still experimenting, don't think I can get this any better through glass frame without loosing definition of writing, you mentioned that you had read the letter before?

are my images ok for you (as you already know the content). The letter is quite large, hence the multiple shots, do you need an image of the envelope?

khaki

Thanks, khaki.

It was Jennifer41, the beginner of this thread, who said:

I have recently read a circular letter, signed by Asquith, Bonnar Law and Henderson and dated December 1914, that invites individual householders to foward a return with the names of anyone in their house willing to enlist, to their local recruiting office.

I wanted to know what the Householder Return form was like as I'd seen this in the Cornishman paper for 18 February 1915:

HOUSEHOLDER’S RETURN

The Parliamentary Recruiting Committee have, as our readers are aware, sent the householders on the overseer's lists, a form to filled up with the names of those willing to enlist. Amongst the forms which have been returned are a considerable number from which addresses have been omitted. If these men will kindly write to the hon. Secretary Parliamentary Recruiting Committee 12, Downing St., giving their address, they will at once receive their registration card. Postage need not be paid on such communications.

Of course I'm interested in seeing the letter and I'll try copying it to make it clearer.

Thank you very much.

Kath.