Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Cacolet in Action

StuartR

I am attaching a photgraph of a Cacolet in use - presumably one from the nearby 27th Casualty Clearing Station in Lahana.

This photo shows what Private D.G. Mather (82nd Field Ambulance) in "Under the Devil's Eye" describes as a "2 seat contrivance slung one on each side of a mule. It was used to move patients who were not serious cases..."

It is interesting that the two "passengers" warrant an armed guard... and have uniforms that I don't recognise (I am rather new to all of this!)

Can anyone shed any light on the dark uniformed sitting-wounded?

Many thanks

Stuart

ps Higher res scan available if neecessary

post-98721-0-29138300-1367524519_thumb.j

Or someone doesn't want the mule stolen. Could have done with this conveyance when in Macedonia last year.

Similar means of transport used to be used in the Balkans and elsewhere in the general Mediterranean basin for the transport of tourists in happier times. Mark Twain mentions it.

It would have been an impressive sight to see you exploring Macedonia with the benefit of a cacolet Centurion. I wonder how a mule would have coped with me as the balancing act.

Keith

Camel Cacolets were also used.

LF

I believe that is an Australian Camel Ambulance in Palestine - not Macedonia. The KuK also used similar camel ambulances in Palestine

Australian Camel Ambulance

post-9885-0-69012900-1367584973_thumb.jp

KuK Camel Ambulance

post-9885-0-59632600-1367585068_thumb.jp

Not Cacolets as not designed for sitting

" British wounded in Salonika receiving identification labels from a member of a Field Ambulance unit. In evidence are three different methods of transporting sick and wounded from the front line, these being (left to right) a cacolet, stretcher and travois."

LF

post-63666-0-69596400-1367597404_thumb.j

AI have illustrations of a Travois and a 2-mule litter at Lahana

Travois:

Stuart

It is very interesting to see the various methods used to get the wounded back to a treatment facility.

Regards,

LF