Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Walthamstow Absent Voters List

Chris

Hi all.

Wonder if anyone would know where the AVL for Walthamstow is held, or if anyone has access to it would they be very kind and do a lookup from it for me please.

I am interested in seeing if a Fred Packer is listed as absent from 2 Russell Road in Walthamstow.

All help greatly appreciated

Chris

• 2 weeks later...

Chris

Though i don't have the answer to hand I live in Walthamstow and wouldn't mind a look at them from the point of view of my own research.

Let me do a bit of digging and I'll see what I come up with.

Mike

That would be great Mike. Please let me know if you discover them

Chris

• 2 weeks later...

Chris

The absent voters list for Walthamstow is in the Vestry House Museum, Walthamstow.

You need to make an appointment to view it - I will do so and let you know if I find Fred Packer listed at that address.

Mike

Chris

He is listed on the AVL at 2 Russell Road as Frederick James John Packer 25577 Sapper RE, and on the electoral register together with Emily Alice Packer.

This makes him the same man as VEKLEE mentioned.

Hope this helps

Mike S

Hi Mike and veklee

Superb news thank you very much. Sorry only just seen your reply as been away from computer. Mike thank you for taking the time to look up the name, bet you had an interesting time trawling through the AVL. Glad you have positevely id the man for me.

Thanks again

Chris

chris

You're right - it was interesting. Aside from your man I had a look at the AVL for the road I lived in. Almost every house has someone listed, which gives you a real sense of the impact of the war - especially when you consider that many more would have served and died by 1918.

The archivist at the Vestry house Museum Walthamstow was more than helpful and dug out a number of WW1 related items which he (rightly) thought would be of interest. These included a microfilm copy of the memorial roll for Walthamstow which contains the names of 22,000 men from the borough who served in the Great War. It was put together by the borough librarian of the time, Mr G Roebuck, together with a party of volunteers who undertook the work voluntarily in their own time.

Altogether a very enjoyable morning!

Regards

Mike S

Here is one of Fred Packer's postcards home. This one sent Christmas Eve 1915, not long after he arrived at the front.

Veklee; do you have any more info on Fred?

Regards

Chris

post-6-1096751951.jpg