Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2nd Lieut. A/Cap. L Wanstall 2nd Middlesex Regiment

David_Blanchard

I am trying to find out more information with regard to this officer L Wanstall who according to Cox & Co was taken prisoner on the 27th May 1918 whilst serving in the Middlesex Regiment.

From records on Ancestry, I think there is only one MIC for a L Wanstall or Leopold Wanstall. If this is the same man then I think from other pieces of information on the internet this is quite a story- rising from an East End Workhouse school to winning the MC and Croix de Guerre. However, I would like to know if I have my initial facts straight and there are no other possibilities for the Acting Captain L Wanstall who was taken prisoner on the Aisne in the 2nd Middlesex Regiment.

Any further information on L Wanstall would be appreciated.

David

Hi David,

I take it you have seen this info:

L Wanstall Rank: 2/Lt. A/Capt. Regiment: 1st to 4th Battalions. Middlesex Regiment Date Missing: 27 May 1918 Repatriation Date: 13 Dec 1918 Record Number: 3456 Section: Western Theatre of Operations.

Not sure if this helps or hinders,

Susan

Hello Susan,

Thanks for looking but I have that information.

David

War Services of Officers of the British Army corrected to December 1920 -page 1712 lists two WANSTALLs:

WANSTALL G.W. (Temp Capt Royal Engineers) Brev.Major.

1914-Gallipoli 25 Apr 15 to 4 Nov 15.

Egypt 9 Mar 16 to 19 Mar 16.

Egyptian Expeditionary Force 19 Mar 16 to 31 Oct 18. wounded Brev of Major. M.C.

WANSTALL L. (Lt.Res of Off)

The War 1914-9 Despatches L.Gaz.21 Dec 16.

Promd 2nd Lt. M.C.

Honour the Officers -Recipients of Awards WW1 lists only one WANSTALL on page 760 and this may simply be an error in compilation:

WANSTALL George Wheldon T/2ndLt M.C. Royal Engineers GAL 25.8.1915 page 8504. (M.C. for Gallipoli)

Philip

Not answering your question, but If he is the Leopold Wanstall from Poplar have you seen his brother was awarded the MM and KIA?

(And have you seen his EDIT: Leopold's service records for the Royal Fusiliers (City Of London Regiment) 1907/08?)

CGM

I think there is another brother who was killed in the 2nd Middlesex on the 1st July 1916.

Isaac Wanstall

Serjeant

Service No:

L/9195

Date of Death:

01/07/1916

Regiment/Service:

Middlesex Regiment

2nd Bn.

Panel Reference

Pier and Face 12 D and 13 B.

Memorial

THIEPVAL MEMORIAL

I may well be slow tonight but what was the name of his brother who was killed in the Royal Fusiliers?

David

There are 15 WANSALLs listed as killed in the CWGC website for WW1 serving in different Regiments - its worth your looking at this info. Not all provide next of kin details.

Philip

Just in the process of reading Isaac Wanstall service record, his brother Leopoldo is mentioned. It looks as though they were orphans in Bow.

Father was dead by 1901 and mother died in 1902.

Have you got the family members?

Edit father was dead by the 1901 census - he actually died 1Q 1901.

Yes from the 1901 census. I see Isaac was married and his wife was living in Guernsey. He had two daughters and his widow received a pension 19 / 6 a week in 1917.

• 4 years later...
  • 7 months later...