Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Le Miroir -1914-1917 photographic newspaper of the Great War

margaretdufay

sted Today, 04:41 PM

Have just done something a bit silly, but don't regret it. I was in Bruay la Buissière at the Relais, which is a national association which is composed of people who are homeless, in difficult positions and they have centres which sell everything that you can imagine.

Thinking I might just find a postcard or a book, it was five to five and it was closing at five, when I spotted about ten thick files of magazines, which looked very old, I opened one and lo and behold it was three and a half years of the French magazine le Miroir which photographed any aspect of the Great War, all for forty euros. At first, the guy said that it would be a pity for him as he had closed his desk, and then I pleaded with him by saying that it would be a tragedy not to sell them to me, my luck held out and he did;

So if you all agree, I will start posting some of the photos

there looks to be some great photos.

mags

img001dde.jpg

Me again, have had to repost to a new part of the forum, as the first one I had chosen wouldn't let me post the pictures. This is the first page dated 9th August 1914

This is General Joffre supreme leader of the French army.

That's better now, I have locked the first thread, but do not know how to remove it. Here is the second page showing the first people who were mobilized leaving on the 2nd August 1914

twozf.jpg

Does this mean you will post some more?

Panic buying in Berlin and paris as war looms

tengq.jpg

Soldiers trying to keep civil order in the streets after looting had taken place

elevenv.jpg

As a result from east to west, a watch is being maintained

sixteeng.jpg

Well that is the end of the first magazine, hope you enjoyed it and would like to see more.

Mags

More than ever England rules the waves.

On the platform of Victoria station

threem.jpg

And finally Lord Kitchener, as new Minister of War

Hope these photos are of interest

Magsfourfd.jpg

What a great find mags, well done and thanks for posting. Looking forward to your thread :thumbsup:

Regards,

Sean.

This one, the crowd in front of Buckingham Palace and the second one the Territorials make their appearance in the streets of London

sixxh.jpg