Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Treasure Trove

MelPack

For those that are interested in the various threads within this forum, I can whole heartedly recommend the following site:

http://w1.865.telia.com/~u86517080/Battlef...rkeologENG.html

The webmaster is a multilingual Swede by the name of Nials Fabiansonn who has done a marvellous job of drawing together academic reasearch, reportage and commentary to provide a regularly updated account of archaeology on the Western Front. The site is a treasure trove of information with fascinating insights.

Perhaps Chris can be persuaded to add this site to the list of links?

Regards

Mel

I meant to ask in my previous posting if anybody had any further information on the 24 bodies of the British soldiers with linked arms found at Arras in 2001?

http://w1.865.telia.com/~u86517080/Battlef...ml#anchor434873

Were any of the bodies ever successfully identified and where were the remains interred?

Regards

Mel

Thanks for that information Chris. I found the fact that even the limbs of the partial corpse (presumably blown apart by a shell) had been laid out in perfect symmetry particularly moving.

Regards

Mel

I remember seeing a documentary recently in which a forensic pathologist who is 'retained' by MoD for this type or work was featured. The documentary, according to my memory, dealt with the 'linked arm' grave etc.

A v. good programme which would be worth watching out for on the much-repeated 'News and Docs' channel.

Anyone remember the name of the programme? There was a post on it, only a couple of months ago! And I'm also sure it did feature some identifications - maybe not of the Arras bodies ....

The pathologist is also a resident 'expert' on Time Team.

Cheers Des

Nils has posted on this forum and has done some excellent work with Hedley (also of this forum) on Junger's locations, which was published by the Western Front Association.

My views on picking up battlefield finds were radically changed by this article, because they may not have been able to draw their conclusions without the evidence they found on the ground.

Mick

Thanks Michael -

That's one part of the puzzle cleared up - now what was the name of the programme???!!

Only 10 hours to bedtime ... and I need to work this out or there'll be no sleep tonight!

Des

Was it 'war graves' ... or something of that nature?