Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

WW1 MEDAL CLAIMS

hondolane

Can someone tell me if it is still possible for relatives of WW1 soldiers to claim medals earned (assuming they have not already been claimed). Thanks

My understanding is that this is no longer possible in the UK, Canada and most other Commonwealth countries. The trend seems to be towards acquiring replica medals or miniatures as a means to commemorate a relative's military service in the First World War.

All the best,

Gary

Simply no you can't whether they were claimed or not, your best option is to buy replicas which are relitively inexpensive.

Sam,

When was the cut off point? You can still get WWII medals, my nephew succesfully applied and got my father's medals. DId they stop allowing claims when the last man in the war died?

The issue of WW1 Campaign Medals ended in the 1980s to all intents and purposes. Relatively few would have been Unissued in any case as they were automatically issued to Other Ranks and NoK of those, and if I recall correctly NoK of Officer casualties in most respects, only Officers had to claim them, leaving relatively few ever unissued, If unaccountable for within the Family concerned,Most have been sold, lost destroyed, or otherwise disposed off relatively few being returned as undeliverable.

• Admin

When was the cut off point? You can still get WWII medals, my nephew succesfully applied and got my father's medals. DId they stop allowing claims when the last man in the war died?

The definitive answer for the UK as regards claiming WW1 Medals is on the MOD Medals Office Site https://www.gov.uk/t...ce-medal-office

see the last FAQ.

They don't give a date when they no longer issued the medal but it's only of passing interest to the MOD as the site deals with current applications and

apparently the Medals Office receive about 200 applications a week for WW2 medals.

it also explains why you can still get WW2 medals, i.e. they had to be applied for whereas in WW1 they were automatically sent to O.Rs. while officers had to apply (as noted above).

Ken

Thanks. That would explain it. I knew my father never claimed his, but always said he regretted it because he would have liked to give them to his grandson (I didn't get a look in!!) hence my nephew applying and getting them.

The issue of WW1 Campaign Medals ended in the 1980s to all intents and purposes. Relatively few would have been Unissued in any case as they were automatically issued to Other Ranks and NoK of those, and if I recall correctly NoK of Officer casualties in most respects, only Officers had to claim them, leaving relatively few ever unissued, If unaccountable for within the Family concerned,Most have been sold, lost destroyed, or otherwise disposed off relatively few being returned as undeliverable.

My understanding is that medals to other ranks were sent out regardless of whether or not they had been killed, however those to commissioned officers had to be applied for either by the officer himself or his next of kin. So basically, if an officer or his NOK did not apply for his medals then they were not issued. Simples!!