Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

looking for information on Bertram James Barfoot born 1886

davidboxall2

We are having great difficulty tracking my great grandfather - His name was Bertram James Barfoot, born 1886 Winchester. Served in France and was sent home after being gassed. Survived and died in 1958.

Looking for his service records has been frustrating and the closest we have come to is a Berham J Barfoot. service no. 14677 WR/125183 in the 8 rail coy RE

We dont know how to find more info on this man and also verifying if this is my relative!

We have a collection of his silk postcards home sent from bologne and he was a white smith.

Any thoughts or ways forward would be very helpful.

Kind regards

David Boxall

Only about 30% of service records survived the blitz, the medal card you have found in my opinion is your g/gfather. Other members, experts in the RE should be along to help you out. Good hunting. Ralph.

David,

Welcome to the forum. You may find a mention of Bertram in a local Winchester newspaper of the war period. He may have been mentioned because he was gassed. He may also be mentioned on a local Church or Club Roll of Honour,These sometimes mention men who survived as well as those who died.

Regards,

Alf McM