Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

ww1 victory v1

byrnes50

hi i am trying to find out if the victory V1 was a shore based ship in ww1 or barraks my great grandfather was based there during the war my father only remembers him as some kind of orderly or helping the wounded i have his enrolement form he was in RNVR .Do you know if he would of been called up. His rating started as OS and was AB, it also says Bristol division on the form i would be gratfull for any help or where to get it thanks

Hello and Welcome,

I do not know much about Naval matters, but according to Royal Naval Division Casualties of Great War (a reference aid on Ancestry) - entering "HMS Victory vI" in one of the fields seems to repeatedly bring up wounded men who were transferred to Crystal Palace Depot - "HMS Victory VI" . The ones I have seen relate to between 1917 - 1918. The men in question all died - a lot of them from pneumonia (as a result of woulds received I would imagine).

I have no idea of the relevance of this save to say it seems it was where wounded soldiers/seamen went. So your grandad could well have been in attendance on these chaps aboard HMS Victory which must have been docked somewhere there.

Hopefully another pal with more knowledge will be along to advise and you get an answer.

Susan

The various HMS VICTORY 'ships' (VICTORY II, VICTORY VI, VICTORY X, etc) were, in the main, accounting bases, parent ships and barracks (Portsmouth). Although men were drafted onto the books of the various VICTORYs, they were not necessarily physically present. Many men on the books of VICTORY were actually serving in (mainly small) ships and VICTORY provided pay, administration and parenting services. The accounting bases VICTORY VI and VICTORY II, however, seem to have been physically located at the Crystal Palace depot and many of the men serving in HMS CRYSTAL PALACE were 'on the books' of VICTORY VI or VICTORY II.

For most purposes, the more important fact is where (in which ship/shore base) the man was actually serving, rather than which 'ship' was his pay office, which he probably never visited.

Magor-General

thank you for the help its all very interesting but creates more questions i have a copy of his enrolement form it says the division is Bristol many thanks again

susanhemmings

thank you for that its very interesting my father did say that that he remembers his granfather saying he helped the wounded soldiers with feeding and washing as he was age 40 he was older he did have a brother who served with the navy through the war . my great grandfathers name was harry hughes he was with rnvr and his brother who was a salior was fred hughes .

horatio2 yes his no z/9498 harry hughes

mmm45

thankyou for the reply his name was harry hughes

horatio2 all i have is an enrolement form

date and period of engagements says 11th dec 1915-hostilities then height /weight

ships/service -victoty v1/ list-fx no=1465 rating -os then dates then underneath

ships/service-victoryv1/list- 5 no-2217 rating- ab harry hughes no.z/9498 written by hand looks like pic 42534

What you have is not his RNVR enrolment (enlistment) form. From the description it sounds like his RNVR record ofservice (link at post #4).

The original enrolment forms are held at the Fleet Air Arm Museum and are not available elsewhere. Where did you obtain this document? Can you post it here? If not, what are the dates in the document for his service in HMS VICTORY VI ? Is the cause of discharge stated (this should be the last entry)?

The 'PIC' entry refers to the Protection and Identity Certificate issued to him on discharge.

This is from Wiki "The Crystal Palace"

During the First World War, it was used as a naval training establishment under the name of HMS Victory VI, informally known as HMS Crystal Palace. More than 125,000 men from the Royal Naval Division, Royal Naval Volunteer Reserve and Royal Naval Air Service were trained for war at Victory VI.[35] At the cessation of hostilities it was re-opened as the first Imperial War Museum, but traffic remained light.[31]

As suspected, this is his RNVR record of service ledger page from ADM 337 at Kew. Quite why it has been stamped "ENROLMENT FORM" is a mystery because that it most definitely is not. The Enrolment Form is Form RNV-1 and is the equivalent of an enlistment or attestation form.

The record is incomplete because it gives no details of service between enrolment on 11 Dec 1915 and his draft to HMS VICTORY VI on 28 Aug 1916. However, he served right through to demob in 1919 and so qualified for the British War Medal. In that case another mystery as to why he is not on the RNVR Medal Roll.

heratio2 thank you for you help yes its v strange, would he of been a salior or could he of just worked at the base, i would of thought it would take a long time to train everyone any surgestions where else to look ? when you enroled did you always keep the same no.there are a few harry hughes on the ancestry site but not his service number.

Although your GGF volunteered and enrolled in the RNVR on 1/12/1915 he was not immediately required but was returned to his civil employment pending mobilisation. He was actually "Mobilised for Immediate Service" on 28/6/1916, hence the apparent gap in his service.

heratio2,i am interested to know how you know this so i dont have to keep asking for your help is there anywhere i can look , thank you for your help i have been looking to see if he had a medal through various sites but cant find any mention of his no. lynne byrne