Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Forbidden Ground

better ole

Looks a bit like every other generic war movie made in the past 20 years or so, straight to DVD? There's at least one short film coming out with a boy soldier twist in the next few months

Is this an Australian film?

As I don't have any sound from my PC today, that might have been a really stupid question, but there are a few aussies on facebook who seem to like it.

Maxi

• 4 months later...

Anyone seen this film yet? Reviews good or bad?

rgds

Mark

Anyone seen this film yet? Reviews good or bad?

rgds

Mark

I was wondering the same after noticing the dvd in hmv today.

Never heard of it.

I am never impressed by these sort of films.

There all the same, I expect a glut of these types of films

Terry

Not seen, but IMDB carries two professional reviews, both pretty positive. It is an Australian production.

I watched it online a few days ago, set in France 1916 yet the officer is wearing Pip Squeak and Wilfred, rather presumptuous wearing the victory medal with 2 years left to go and they are the wrong way around I think. They were calling the Sergeant 'Sir' pretty much all the way through too. I enjoyed it but I'd say generic WW1 film, though the trenches look really good, actually too good, it looks straight out of the field manual.

I watched it online a few days ago, set in France 1916 yet the officer is wearing Pip Squeak and Wilfred, rather presumptuous wearing the victory medal with 2 years left to go and they are the wrong way around I think.

The Robert Powell version of "The 39 Steps" has something similar - a Naval officer with the ribbands of a trio up (IIRC) BEFORE the war has even broken out yet. Now that's forward planning.

The reviews on Amazon do not inspire me to spend £8 on this offering. Apart from problems with kit and insignia, the main criticism seems to be of Australian actors not being able to keep up a British accent. It sounds like the sort of film I would cheerfully watch for nothing if it came up on TV, and would probably enjoy it in an uncritical way, but I'm in no hurry to buy it.

• 10 months later...

Dredging this up after I made the mistake of watching this earlier today. Thankfully I watched it on Netflix, so didn't actually spend on a DVD, otherwise I'd have been more annoyed. It was pretty dreadful! As Garron pointed out previously, minutes into the film and one of the officers is wearing the ribbons of a trio, in 1916, and in the reverse order. I can usually live with little errors like this without comment, but the fact that the Lieutenant sporting the time-travelling medal ribbons was of the 'butcher who would happily slaughter his own men' variety, I had a feeling the film was going to be bad. The film starts with the opening wave of an attack going over the top in broad-daylight, and being quickly cut to pieces by German machine-gun and rifle fire. While this first wave is being slaughtered, the CSM is sitting in the trench writing a last-minute entry in his diary. Bad-git of a Lt then orders the CSM to personally lead the next wave, despite the fact the German trenches are going to be obliterated that night by a concentrated artillery barrage. Of course, the next wave is also cut to shreds, and the next hour of the film is the CSM, a wounded Corporal and a Private soldier trying to evade nasty German snipers and machine-gunners who seem determined to wipe them out...before of course the whole ridge goes 'boom' courtesy of the British artillery. I turned it off when the Private makes a dash to the British lines for help, only for bad-git of a Lt to order one of the British marksmen to shoot him, despite knowing he is one of theirs.

Utter tripe! Save yourself the bother and give it a miss.

Utter tripe! Save yourself the bother and give it a miss.

Thanks, I will! Sounds to be as bad as the Turkish version of Canakkale... As for time machines, the diorama of said battle as displayed in in the Ataturk Mausoleum here in Ankara is resplendent with some really nice 1960's FAL bayonets and loads of the '1935' types also...

Oh, this one stares up at me every time I open the dvd draw...but I do try to blank it out, must get rid of it. I had quite high hopes for this, but it really was a let down. Above everything else,the real killer for me was the accents - why on earth didn't they just set it in an Australian unit?

• 4 years later...

I should have read this thread before I watched the movie. Netflix "helpfully" suggested it having previously watched the brilliant "Journeys end". Alas this movie was absolutely terrible. It was nearly as bad as the Canadian movie "passchendaele". 

• 2 years later...
On 20/07/2014 at 17:53, barrieduncan said:

...  I turned it off when the Private makes a dash to the British lines for help, only for bad-git of a Lt to order one of the British marksmen to shoot him, despite knowing he is one of theirs ...

A long line of mines (?) had been laid in front of the British trenches in anticipation of a German attack and "bad-git" was concerned that the private would set them off when he ran through a trip-wire.

Available to see for free here

I didn't think it was too bad and worth a bit more than the 5/10 rating on IMDB. But the three men were VERY talkative as they struggled in No Man's Land to get to their trenches.