Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Schwartzerberg?

Rockdoc

I'm doing some more work on my AA War Diaries and have come across several records of the same signal that I can't make a lot of sense of.

73rd AAS: from French of 2 planes over Schawitzerberg, flying South. Received 16.48

95th AAS: Reports during day of planes over Isvor, Stavros, Guevgueli, Monastir and Schaviegeberge

98th AAS: from French of 2 planes over Schawitzerperge, flying South at 16.16. Received 16.35

Logic suggests the location is Schwartzerberg but that's Germanic, rather than like anything Bulgarian or Turkish I've seen and I can't find anything similar on either the Austro-Hungarian or the French/British trench maps from the SCS DVD.

Just to help us unravel the geography of the area even more easily, the Monastir mentioned in the record by 95th AAS is neither the Serbian town that was liberated nor the OP near the Vardar we've discussed before. This one is in the Struma Valley as the full signal talks of planes travelling south from Monastir, Demir Hissar and Seres. Don't you just love the Salonika campaign? :wacko:

Keith

Hi Keith,

These will probably be landscape features rather than village names (Berg = mountain; Gebirge = mountain range). I have some German/Bulgarian artillery plots, which I think Martin gave me??, from WO298/834, and many of the hills have been given German names. But they only cover the line from Lake Doiran west to Gevgeli (German 9th Div sector), and aren't particularly detailed...

What's the date of these entries? I may be able to find something in the French artillery diaries.

Monastir in the Struma valley is most likely to be the monastery of St George on the hill behind Deli Hasan, which is now (and probably was before the Ottomans arrived, if it was there at all) called Monastiraki - "little monastery". It's about 4 kilometres west of Butkova/Kerkini village.

Adrian

P.S. And in answer to your last question: YEP!!! :) :)

Thanks, Adrian. I thought you'd have some idea! The entries are from the 1st June, 1917.

Keith

• 3 weeks later...

Maybe "Schwarzberg Ouest" and "Schwarzberg Est", just north of Bogdanci on the SCS DVD Valandovo map???

Adrian