Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

8th Battalion AIF War Diaries

pompeyrodney

Hello everybody, it has been a long time since I posted here but I have a question to ask. Does anybody know if the 8th battalion AIF oficial war diaries have every been transcrbed as the original is very difficultt to read. Here is an example of a page that is very difficult to understand. Thanks in advance.

post-3340-0-27435300-1366030222_thumb.jp

Don't know am afraid, but if you think that's difficult, try the 2nd battalion. I suppose they were written in difficult circumstances. I've seen a few Canadian diaries transcribed, but no Australian. Good luck.

Mike

You could try and track down the 8th battalion association and see if they have it.

Alternatively fiddle with your screen settings - contrast, light etc

In my experience the example you have given is pretty clear compared to many I've had to struggle with!!!

Cheers

Paul

Quite a few War Diaries were written in pencil. On one of the diaries that I have been looking at it has even been mentioned that the pencils are not black enough

and an instruction was issued to use darker ones, only to be rebutted (OK don't nit pick the grammar :blush: ) by the officer writing the diary saying that blacker pencils were not available and were not being issued!.

So the problem of reading the diaries was known AT THE TIME!

Cheers

Brian

If it's not the handwriting that's the issue, but the brightness/contrast then decent results can be had by using photo editors. I use microsoft picture manager. I save the image, open with microsoft picture manager-edit-auto correct-save-auto correct-save, as many times as necessary.

rk7reh.jpg

Mike

Thanks for all the advice particularly Skipman above, I shall have to do a bit of editing it seems!! Thanks again.

• 7 months later...

Hi how do I see the photos you have of 8th battalion, I'm not that computer savy lol

Also are you living in London, as my brother is an engineer living in surrey, I went war museum Canberra could not locate any photos of my grandfathers 8th battalion or anything,maybe I have also contact my distant keddie relatives as my grandfathers two brothers also went Somme were wounded and gassed,someone must have photos, I love history and am dreaming to go gallipolli 2015 ,am in Australian ballot