Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

C Company 1/8th Royal Warwickshire Regt

rmtruby

I'm trying to find a photo of 'C' Company 1/8th Royal Warwickshire Regiment to use in one of my classes.

Apparently a photograph of this company appeared in the press shortly after the 1st July 1916. Virtually the whole company had been killed or wounded.

If anyone has a copy of this photo could you please email it to me or post it on the gallery.

Thanks

Ray

hello Ray

I think the picture you are referring to is the photo of all the NCO's of C Company, 1/8th Royal Warwicks. A large double page copy of this picture was published by the Birmingham Evening Mail a few years ago on an anniversery of 1 July. It names all the NCO's and their fate.

I have a similar one of all the Officers of the battalion taken at Mailley Maillet not long before the action.

I have them both stored away ......somewhere

Regards

Terry

front row.

L/cpl Bryan (wd) L/Cpl Kirby (missing) L/Cpl Boyd (wd) Cpl Wootton (wd) Cpl Cattell (wd) Cpl Heath (kia)

2nd Row

CSM Clarke (wd) 2nd Lt Laing (not in action) 2nd Lt Heath (wd) Lt D R Adams (wd) Capt S W Ludlow (missing kia) Lt R Adams MC Bar (kia) 2nd Lt Brettell (pow) 2nd Lt Freeman (missing) CQMS Clarke (not in action)

third Row

Sgt Plant (wd) Sgt Scriven (wd) Sgt Shaw (wd) Sgt Sheppard (missing) Sgt Summers (kia) Sgt Watson (wd) Sgt Hobday (wd) Cpl Roach (wd)

Back Row

L/Cpl Davies (missing) Cpl Alexander (wd) L/Cpl Chapman (wd) L/Cpl Lea (not in action) Cpl Platford (pow) L/Cpl E Ludlow (wd) Cpl Fagg (wd & missing) Cpl Edmunds (no info) Cpl Hale (wd) Cpl Hughes (missing)

(Capt Ludlow & L/Cpl Ludlow are not related.)

Capt Ludlow's remains were found in early 1930's. Thus he is commemorated on Thiepval and also has a grave in Serre Rd No.2 Cemetery.

If I can help in any way Ray let me know

Terry

Thank you very much for the photo and information.

By the way, I'm from West Bromwich, but I now live and teach in the Manchester area.

I'll be using the photo and information to help me teach the western front, in about three weeks' time. I'll let you know how the lesson went.

Thanks

Ray

• 1 year later...

terry, is there any way i can have a copy of the article?

i am interested in l/cpl ludlow

thanks

enoch

• 5 months later...

to the top , just in case someone has a copy of the article!