Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Bruce Bairnsfather and "The Better 'Ole"

BBairnsfather

The Better 'Ole, written by cartoonist Capt. Bruce Bairnsfather (creator of Old Bill) in collaboration with Capt. Arthur Eliot, was one of the most successful plays of WW1. Starring Shakespearian actor Arthur Bourchier as Old Bill and with ten songs featuring music composed by Herman Darewski the play opened on 4 August 1917 and was an immediate success. Heralded as one of the great dramatic successes of the war, in addition to its London run, from 1917 to 1919 several touring companies took the play on the road throughout the UK. In America it had an equally successful run in New York from October 1918 to 1920, and also toured the US and Canada with five companies on the road at one time. It was also produced in Australia, New Zealand, South Africa and even India, in 1919 to 1920.

While the public are today familiar with other plays set against a backdrop of the First World War – such as Journey’s End, The Accrington Pals and War HorseThe Better ‘Ole has not been staged in the UK for over 80 years and despite being one of the greatest theatrical successes of the war is largely forgotten.

To rectify this I am looking for amateur theatre companies all over the UK who are interested in staging productions of The Better 'Ole, to mark the centenary of the First World War.

The Better 'Ole has the advantage of having been both written and produced during the war and so would give modern audiences a real First World War entertainment experience!

At the present time one theatre company has confirmed it will be staging a production of The Better 'Ole in 2014 (more details to follow later) and I am in discussion with another group who are very interested in the proposal. A third is considering the play. The project is being widely publicised in amateur theatre journals and I am hopeful that it will be taken up by several more theatres.

If you would like to see The Better 'Ole at a theatre near you in 2014, let me know. As Old Bill would say, If you knows of a better play...!!

Mark Warby, The Bruce Bairnsfather Society

post-98344-0-65686600-1365869958_thumb.j

As the play has not been staged for 80 years, my guess is that few people will be familiar with anything but the title. It would help any potential producers if they could read over the script - do you know if there is an on-line resource?

Sounds brilliant! I'd also like to see a script if possible, because I know of a local theatrical group that might be interested in it.

Thanks Andy - if you'd like to e-mail me at mark@brucebairnsfather.org.uk I will send you more info. Look forward to hearing from you.

Ian - For many years the script to "The Better 'Ole" was thought to be 'lost' but I eventually tracked down a copy and now have this in my Bairnsfather archive, built up over more than thirty years researching Bruce Bairnsfather's life and career. It is not available via any on-line resource (technically it is still in copyright) but I am able to help anyone seriously interested in staging the play. I'd love to see it performed at as many theatres as possible.

I will post some more info about the play later, to give an idea of the plot etc.

Mark

Not that I'm anything to do with a theatrical group but wouldn't they need to know the size of cast and the number of singers required?

Keith

The Better 'Ole is made up of two acts and eight scenes (described on the programme as “Two Explosions, Seven Splinters and a short Gas Attack”): at a “Gaff” behind the lines, outside the Café des Oiseaux near the front, in billets behind the front line, on the way back “in,” in the trenches, at Headquarters, on the Leave Train and back at Old Bill’s home in England.

The plot centres around Old Bill’s chance discovery of a plan by the Germans to blow up a bridge immediately after French soldiers have crossed it, thus entrapping the French. Bill successfully prevents the attack by leaving the trench without permission, and blowing up the bridge before the French soldiers get there, being slightly wounded in the process. On return to the British trench he is arrested when the German papers relating to the intended attack are discovered on his person, along with a large sum of money. Back at Headquarters, he faces court martial, but the whole affair is resolved through the assistance of a French girl who was party to his plan, and a French officer. Old Bill is decorated with the DCM and French Legion D’Honneur, and returns home to Blighty a hero. Here he finds his wife Maggie has taken over the local inn, which is renamed The Better ‘Ole.

There are ten songs in the play, and all the lead characters sing at some point, as do several other cast members. The cast includes 16 male and 14 female roles, plus additional cast to play villagers, French peasants, etc.

Full details can be provided on request and every assistance will be given to any theatre group who take up the 'chellenge' of staging The Better 'Ole.

Light entertainment for next years conference perhaps. Skipman sings and we have a few other 'entertainers' amongst us. Norman 'Seadog', props, uniforms etc? Just a thought. :thumbsup:

I'll volunteer for the role of "third peasant"......so long as i don't have any lines, and don't have to sing.

Bruce

• 2 months later...