The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Different regiments

DCLI

I have a pair and I have just checked his MIC. His medals are to Pt 46105 S. Jane, DCLI,

His card shows that was also with the Wiltshire regiment and the Gloucestershire Regiment and he had a different army number in each regiment. Three numbers in total.

I thought that a number followed you everywhere?

Any help would be nice.

regards

Anthony

Retained Army Service Numbers didnt arrive until well after WW1,in the Mid Twenties I believe,There could be a number of reasons for your chaps Travels,The most likely being that he was wounded on a Couple of Occassions & on Recouperation was posted to another Regiment within his Division/Brigade that needed the Necessary Manpower when he was Fit to Return to Duty.A Check of his Medal Roll Page might give an indication as to the Battalions of the Regiments He Served in,which may confirm this type of Movement,Men were moved about a considerable amount,if their Skills were required & occassionally if they were "Not up to scratch" I'm sure the odd one or two were shunted about from unit to unit to try & Lose them!I have the trio of a WO2,Who was moved no less than 6 times,From Northamptonshire's,Suffolk's,Norfolk's,Gloucester's & Royal Fusiliers & Back to the Northamptonshire's & Suffolk's Garrison Battalion,from where he was Discharged in 1916!!suffering from Rhuematism

Guest Ian Bowbrick

There was frequently no logic to the movement and reassignment of men returning from being wounded or sick - you were sent where there were gaps and what your new medical category, if it wasn't A1, allowed you to do.

Thanks for that.

Anthony