Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The men of Thompson and Tottington

Guest bronthomp

Guest bronthomp

I belong to a group which is researching the fallen and returned on memorials in our local area. I have a particular interest in Thompson and Tottington memorials. If anyone has any information, photos and so on which would add to the research I would love to hear from them. Tottington is especially difficult because it no longer exists as a village, being in the Stanford Training Area. The memorial now stands in Thompson. One name in particular I would like more on is Lance Sergeant Walter Friston DCM, regimental number 7345 2nd Battalion Norfolk Regiment, died on 22nd November 1915, although it is also recorded as 1917. His name is recorded on the Basra Memorial.

This is from a project I am working on. It may have passing interest for you. If you think I am off with my numbers please let me know. (Also, if you come across lists of those from other Norfolk parishes that served, please let me know.)

Rob.

tottington for gwf.pdf

Guest bronthomp

Thank you. I will take a closer look. The problem is that there are men on the memorial who only lived a short time in the village, or whose families were still there even if they had moved away, and in some cases, one or two who were certainly not there in 1911. Getting figures which approach accurate is quite hard!

I live in Thompson and i think you will find there are soldiers from Tottington listed on the small memorial at Merton

Good points all. Short timers and duplicates impact all parish lists. I started off looking at just Hingham and quickly found examples of both that inflated the absolute numbers and, by knock on, and percentages. But, if the reasons - whatever they are - for adding these names are common to all (urban and rural?) parishes, the error they introduce is also shared and it is possible to run the stats and see if a given parish has a significantly higher or lower percentage than the mean.

This project began as a passing interest in population shifts within and out of Norfolk during the 19th century. It has become a petty obsession.

Hingham, Abraham Lincoln`s ancestors came from there

So do mine. I haven't been back but once since my parents died.