Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Great War Forum Conference 2013 - speaker change

AlanCurragh

Unfortunately Matthias Strohn has had to cancel his appearance at the conference on Saturday due to a family bereavement - however I am very pleased to say that at incredibly short notice, Alan Wakefield has agreed to take his place and will be speaking in the fifth slot at 16.30. I can't confirm the subject just yet, but safe to say it will be not be Western Front related!

Huge thanks to Alan for stepping in at this late stage

Alan.

Well done, Messrs Alan.

And if you haven't ready expressed the Forum's collective condolences to Matthias I trust you will do so (and remember to book him for next year)

And if you haven't ready expressed the Forum's collective condolences to Matthias I trust you will do so (and remember to book him for next year)

Seconded.

Indeed - I sent him a brief message yesterday, but will contact him again next week to pass on the GWF's condolences.

It is a shame he won't be there on Saturday - I heard him speaking (curiously enough he was a late stand-in on that occassion) at a D-Day conference at Sandhurst last year - he was superb, very knowledgable on his topic, and with a very wicked sense of humour. He was going to be at the Old Contemptibles tomorrow evening as well. I will certainly try and get him for next year.

Alan

Speaking of next year, I recall there being some discussion that the theme would be 1914 and, in subsequent years, the relevent centenary year. Did that suggestion find its way anywhere?

John

John - no real thought on that as yet - probably a debate to be had after the event on Saturday. My inclination is not to have a theme - I believe one of the other conferences now using the Tally Ho (the WFA I think) is intending to "theme" by year - so there could be a risk of repitition. But interested in other's views on this...

One of the attractions of the conferences has been the variety of subjects. Please do not change.

I have to agree with Centurion. Most of the talks I've heard haven't had a direct relationship to my personal interests in WW1 but all have been entertaining and educational. It would be a shame to put an artificial constraint on the event, even for the best of motives, and lose that freedom.

Keith

Alan's talk is "Carry On Up The Tigris - the experiences of British and Indian troops in Mesopotamia 1914-1918"

My condolences to Matthias on his loss. I shall hopefully have the pleasure of hearing him next year.

Many thanks to Alan for stepping in at such short notice, having heard his previous talks, I know it's something to look forward to.

Mr Curragh, my thanks to you also, such sterling work, at such short notice too. Many thanks!

Will miss you all this Saturday! Have a super day, I am sure it will be a splendid occasion.

Must dash, the sun is calling. Hate it when you get sun, day after day!

Back to reality on Sunday.

Jim

John - no real thought on that as yet - probably a debate to be had after the event on Saturday. My inclination is not to have a theme - I believe one of the other conferences now using the Tally Ho (the WFA I think) is intending to "theme" by year - so there could be a risk of repitition. But interested in other's views on this...

Last time I spoke to Colin (WFA conference organiser), he confirmed that the WFA are theming their conferences by year for the next five years - so I would definitely stay away from that idea - everyone will be chasing the same speakers on the same topics & there is a high risk that themed Conferences will all look very much alike.

Brian

Indeed. Totally agree with all these comments and looking forward to see everyone tomorrow night and Saturday.

Also think that Centurion and Brian are right. In fact I think that it would be great to have GWF conferences which try to avoid the endless cycle of anniversaries.

Regards

Michael Bully

My condolences to Matthias on his loss. I shall hopefully have the pleasure of hearing him next year.

Many thanks to Alan for stepping in at such short notice, having heard his previous talks, I know it's something to look forward to.

Mr Curragh, my thanks to you also, such sterling work, at such short notice too. Many thanks!

I'll regard myself as a minority of one, then, in still thinking it would have been a good idea.

WFA might be doing is entirely irrelevent to me- I'm not intending to go to their conference.

Just setting off now. All those staying at Premier Inn (Hagley Road) see you in the bar about 7-7.30pm. Everyone else, see you in the OC later this evening..

GWF Conference, here we come! :)

Tally Ho.....

Keith

Enjoy, everyone. Sorry I can't be there

Till next year in Birmingham, as they say

cheers Martin B

Have a great time this weekend, pals. I am sorry that I can't make it this time around.

I rather like the idea of a themed day rather than a fairly random collection of things, but not so much that it would make any difference. I would, however, avoid the cliche of the annual theme through the centenary years - I think everyone will be centenaried out anyway and it will be refreshing to step outside it a little.

I still think it was taking things a bit far, going all the way to Thimpu to avoid meeting me in Birmingham.

("But probably very wise....." Ayesha)

Bruce

• Admin

Have a great day tomorrow, sorry I can't be there.

Michelle

Arrived safely.

Will miss all those pals not here this year.

Time to recover before the knees up tonight!

Will not be able to attend tomorrow's Conference - Charlie the cat is in the vet's having probably been poisoned and he hasn't improved for the last 24 hours so now it's just a case of waiting.

No idea what he has taken or possibly been given so all they can do is palliative treatment and hope for the best.

Have a good day everybody.

Now in Birmingham armed with my Mespot notes. Will be in the OC later but, as I'm now speaking, I'll have to avoid trying to match Peter Hart pint for pint - not that this is physically possible under the best of conditions!

On Saturday I'll have some info on battlefield tours to the Salonika battlefields and archaeology in Macedonia. Hope to catch some of you at the SCS stand.

ALAN

Arrived safely.

Will miss all those pals not here this year.

Time to recover before the knees up tonight!

Inn

If anyone wants to share a taxi I'll be in Premier Inn reception just after 6