Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

International Red Cross Archive

aglastonbury

Hi All,

Does anyone know if there is an update on putting the International Red Coss causalty Records online?

Alex

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1161810/Unknown-longer-thousands-WW1-dead-identified.html

For more information about these records, a web page from wargravesheritage.org.uk has a section “WWI archives of the International Committee of the Red Cross in Geneva” which in turn has further links, including a report by Peter Barton with more details of the records available.

http://www.wargravesheritage.org.uk/records.html

The ICRC website has a page about digitisation of First World War records, the “archives of the International Agency for Prisoners of war (1914-1919)” to be “concluded in early 2014”.

http://www.icrc.org/eng/resources/documents/article/other/archives-first-world-war-2011-07-27.htm

Cheers

Maureen

• 1 year later...
From the website of the International Committee of the Red Cross: First World War: Archives online as of August 2014
28-01-2014

The archives of the International Prisoners-of-War Agency will be available for consultation by the public in August 2014, through an online application.During the First World War, the Agency collected, analysed and classified information it received from the detaining powers and national agencies about prisoners of war and civilian internees. It compared this information with requests submitted to it by relatives or friends, in order to restore contact between them. The Agency’s archives also contain diplomatic correspondence between the ICRC and the warring countries on protection for detainees and reports on visits by ICRC delegates to prisoner-of-war camps.

http://www.icrc.org/eng/resources/documents/article/other/archives-first-world-war-2011-07-27.htm

Cheers

Maureen

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

I think this is going to be an invaluable tool for many of us!

I found the (sadly fruitless) search request made by my great-grand-mother for her first husband, who went missing at Loos, which was incredibly poignant. I attach his file, in case any GWF members with an interest in the Devonshires or Loos fancy a look.

I haven't been in the GWF for a while (mea culpa). I also have a mercenary reason (mea culpa again), because in my day job I'm a journalist. I'm writing an article about the archive, and would be very interested to hear from any GWF members who have family stories about the role of the Red Cross in confirming that a relative was still alive and, potentially, in assisting in their post-war repatriation. Please private message or send a response in the open format, as you wish.

With kind regards to all,

Jonathan