Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Centenary 0f 1914 - Rugby Football Union interest

daggers

One of the tour guides at the RFU's museum at Twickenham is compiling biographical notes on each of the 27 England players whose lives were lost in the war and are commemorated on their memorial board. A page on each will form part of the briefs for his fellow guides, so I am told. He has taken the trouble to contact at least one club for confirmation of details, which is encouraging.

D

Former curator Jed Smith created a Rugby in WW1 exhibition in the Museum at Twickenham about 10 years ago. They have some useful material in their archive, and the exhibition included a roll of Rugby internationals from all nations who fell, and an excellent accompanying booklet.

It would appear that he is 're-inventing the wheel'. E H D Sewell in his The Rugby Football Internationals Roll of Honour has extensive bios and excellent photos of the Internationals who died during the war.

Dick

Thanks for your remark. I am sure the RFU have access to a copy, and if not, they should have! I will ask my contact to draw their attention to the book.

It may be that they are looking for newer information which Sewell did not have.

D