Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

It's all kicking off

cliff brown

Sum it all up in 2 1/2 hours? Sounds pretty doubtful to me. I think the BBC would have done better simply to re-run The Great War.

• Admin

'The sheer magnitude of the suffering'....so that's more of the Village then - I can't wait

don't suppose there'll be much of the MGC officer 'chuckling with joy at the efficiency of his machine' as he watched his enemy fall

Ken

'The sheer magnitude of the suffering'....so that's more of the Village then - I can't wait

don't suppose there'll be much of the MGC officer 'chuckling with joy at the efficiency of his machine' as he watched his enemy fall

Ken

really original title. Why not "Westfronters"?

And why this iniquitous habit that has crept in of running front line together as a noun? "Frontline states" (remember those?) but otherwise it should be two words.

cheers Martin B

"Instore" Martin.

Anyone told seadog/Norman about this?

Written by an Eastenders (not East Enders) scriptwriter? They're 'aving a laugh!

He also wrote that 'Nativity' drama a couple of years ago, the re-visit of the whole birth of Jesus story, which, while I don't think I watched it religiously, was OK and put a 'real' atmosphere to something usually somewhat sugar-coated.

Referencing 'the suffering' in his quote is no reason to think this will be made with a mid-twentieth century attitude - none of us would suggest that 'suffering' wasn't a key theme, even your chuckling MG operator will have had his fair share of suffering (which would be why he took such great delight in seeing things going his way for a change).

As ever, the truth will be in seeing the finished product and, to 99.9% of the population, all publicity is good publicity - if the programme inspires 100 people to take an interest, join the Forum etc, then that has to be a good thing.

James

• Admin

Referencing 'the suffering' in his quote is no reason to think this will be made with a mid-twentieth century attitude - none of us would suggest that 'suffering' wasn't a key theme, even your chuckling MG operator will have had his fair share of suffering (which would be why he took such great delight in seeing things going his way for a change).

As ever, the truth will be in seeing the finished product.

James

Suffering, and for that matter 'sacrifice' may be key themes of the Great War but they were not the only motif. The 'chuckling' officer is probably a poor example as he took over the gun after he found the team lying dead beside it but then again it wasn't me but as usual the pre-production blurb suggesting suffering was the main theme, apart that is from, 'the strategic decisions of generals that caused unimaginable bloodshed'.

It's all too predictable and perpetuates the Blackadder myth that innocent young men volunteered in their millions and were thrown into rat infested muddy trenches by uncaring, brutish generals and there they remained for the next four years stoically awaiting their fate.

Even if it were true the Centenary Commemoration surely deserves more but I can't see the BBC promoting those values and beliefs which drove so many to volunteer and which are probably more worthy of celebration in our secular, self-abasing age of apologies than 'suffering', but as you saythe truth will be in the finished product - all two and a half hours of it! I wonder if each episode will finish with a 'dum-dum' scene.

Ken

I liked Tony Jordan's 'Hustle' and 'Life on Mars' and as long as this effort is not 'Phil and Grant Up The Front' I'm willing to give it a go.

Maxi

I wonder if each episode will finish with a 'dum-dum' scene.

Ken

LOL - hope so!!

Agreed 'Hustle' and 'Life On Mars' both watchable and entertaining enough - not many uniforms etc.to worry and get hot under the collar about. :thumbsup:

Surely the whole point of the proposed series is to entertain?,enlighten?,and educate? a modern 21st Century TV audience,in snippets, to the realities of 100 years ago, plus,of course,hopefully make Auntie(the BBC) a few bob in foreign sales.

I accept the serious,on the Forum,would prefer,for example, that Malin's "Battle of the Somme" docudrama? is aired in entirety,and receives the same shock to its audience a hundred years later as it did when first aired.

But it ain't going to happen,the modern TV audience,would just "laugh" at the Charplinesque? movements of the main characters. :D

George

p.s.if it's any help to the Forum discussion I,like many,am frustrated.

My Father,born 1900,died when I was aged 16.Whilst he was quite happy visiting the Town,of his birth,he rarely talked about his "growing up years" but preferred talking about "his working years".Even those were done lightly, as he was a Bobby.

Whether he would have talked openly about his teenage years during WW1,had I tackled him.is open to question.The nearest things he expressed about his childhood was tying up the door knockers, in a terraced house street ,so that when one knocked all the knockers followed.working on a traction engine in a forest ,drumming the kitchen door as taught by his time in the WW1 Volunteer Force and,of course,asking an older cousin who was taking me to his home-own cinema "Do they still have fleas and accept jam jars"?