Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Zepplins, Home Defence, RNAS's Armoured Cars?

Dominion-of-the-North

Greetings:

I am currently researching the following chappie: Norman Owen, born 19 March 1894, Llandudno, Carnarvon, Wales; killed in a flying accident 3 June 1918 Dartmouth Aerodrome.

post-5403-0-95089100-1365446623_thumb.jp

Owen enlisted as a Petty Officer Mechanic into the Royal Naval Air Service on 30 October 1914. By 1 April 1915 he was on his way to campaign in (German) South West Africa serving in the RNAS's armoured car section. I am hoping some more erudite members might be able to help me understand what Owen did between these dates: November 1914 March 1915. As usual, his service record (below) is not very helpful. However, a clue is given in his entry in de Ruvigny which states "... served on the East Coast on home defence during the early Zeppelin raids..." (see full entry below).

Reformulating my question: I know that the RNVR established an Anti-Aircraft Corps early in the war, which (from the very little information I have been able to find) seemed to have as its primary role the interdiction of German Zeppelins. (There's a good thread related to this issue here: http://1914-1918.inv...howtopic=149061) My assumption is that Owen was most probably not part of this unit (ie., the RNVR's AAC) but rather was serving with the RNAS's Armoured Cars at this time; and, furthermore, the role of such armoured cars was to serve as a sort of portable anti-aircraft battery harrying any overflying Zeppelins as best they could.

Does that make sense? I would be grateful to hear anyone's views on this speculation, as well as any details other Forum Members might consider relevant to better understand what exactly Owen did, in the RNAS, between Nov 1914 and March 1915, "... on the east coast, on home defence during the Zeppelin raids..."

As always, I remain very grateful for any assistance.

Cheers,

Glen,

In Our Dominion of the North

Owen's RN Service File

post-5403-0-36784500-1365446486_thumb.jp

Owen's entry from de Ruvigny

post-5403-0-00159900-1365448213_thumb.jp

Definitely makes sense - Seabrook armoured cars, which were fitted with 3 pounders and originally used on the western front. Once trench warfare came into effect, they would operate at night, pulling up to a position, firing off a few rounds at a target then getting out before the retaliatory fire. One chap who went on to fly the Handley Page O/100 and O/400 bombers in the RNAS described driving around in the Seabrooks during a Zepp sighting/raid. The public were cheering them as they drove around town chasing the Zeppelin, although they knew they had no chance whatsoever of doing anything about the airship, it had a great moral effect on the public! This is a Seabrook in case you're not aware of them;

http://mailer.fsu.edu/~akirk/tanks/GreatBritain/GB-SeabrookAC.jpg

The armoured cab slid across to give a much better view for the driver, and as can be seen the sides folded down. Would have been a very impressive looking vehicle

RobL:

I very much appreciate your help: a wonderful photo, a great story, and it pointed me in the right direction for further research. Thanks to your posting I stumbled across an excerpt from E. Bartholomew's Early Armoured Cars:

"The first Seabrooks were delivered in Feb 1915 and three were issued to each RNAS squadron. They were used for infantry support and attacks on strong points, but their low speed and lack of manoeuverability prevented them from working with the light armoured cars, so in May 1915 they were formed into separate heavy squadrons. The Seabrooks stationed in England served as anti-aircraft lorries, touring the east coast as defence against raiding Zeppelins..." (p.18)

Furthermore, based upon the information (still to be verified) given at the following website ( http://www.webring.o...rmouredCars.htm ) it appears that of the 20 squadrons of armoured cars formed by the RNAS in 1914-15, only 2 remained in the UK: No 7 and No 13 squadrons, (both of which were formed in 1914). Therefore, if this is correct, it seems logical to deduce that my chappie, Owen, was most probably in one of these squadrons, during the period in question.

I would be most grateful to learn if any one has stumbled across anything that equates to a War Diary or (dare I say?) Ship's Log for either of these units. My objective, of course, is to try to get a better handle on what exactly is implied by "touring the east coast as defence against raiding Zeppelins". Ideally, if one could ascertain where No 7 and No 13 Squadrons (RNACD) were based, and cross-referenced such locations with the dates, flight paths and targets of Zeppelin raids, one might be able to deduce certain anti-Zeppelin actions in which Owen likely participated.

Cheers,

and thanks again,

Glen,

In Our Dominion of the North

PS: I found this photo of a Leyland Armoured Car with a search light. Although (obviously) not a Seabrook, one can easily imagine how the Seabrooks probably had a similar sort of set-up, (ie., with search lights) in order to find the Zeps at night, n'est-ce pas?

post-5403-0-00317500-1365504872_thumb.jp

Glen

The 'searchlight' on the armoured car is more the size used as 'daylight signalling lamps' for sending messages in Morse. however, that said it would still be bright and cast some illumination but I doubt if it would have been powerful enough to 'illuminate' an Airship at the height they generally flew.

Mike

Being ex-Navy, I take your point. Frankly, I'm just speculating... not yet finding any reference to a Seabrook mounting a searchlight.

Cheers,

Glen