Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

'Gone for a soldier' documentary

Jim Hastings

Hi All

Found this documentary on Youtube after coming across the title on an old post on the forum. Only seen part 1 so far and thought would be of interest to other forum members so posting links to it before watching the other 3.

Hope of interest, good viewing,

This link to part one will give you links to parts 2-4 too

Cheers Jim

Thanks Jim for posting the link to this excellent programme which was instrumental in my case and I guess many others in generating an interest in the Great War and Flanders in particular, it is also very moving and I strongly recommend viewing this. Here is one of the old soldiers featured.

This is Bill Turner who served with the 15th Battalion of the Highland Light Infantry (HLI) although by birth he was a Londoner through and through. Bill is carrying the bugle which was with him throughout the war. His Daughter and Son-in-Law joined my trip to Ypres and the bugle accompanied us there. Bill was featured in the excellent TV documentary "Gone for a Soldier" written by Lyn Macdonald along with many other veterans of the time.

Bill had joined the Royal Artillery at Wandsworth Town Hall at the age of 17 an age at which he had no right to be in the Army at all. Following the Battle of Loos after which the Highland Divisions had been decimated, he saw a notice asking for volunteers to make the numbers back up again and was transferred to the 15tth Highland Light Infantry (City of Glasgow Corporation Tramways) Battalion, part of the 32nd Division. Bill joined the pipe-band and was trained as bugler and drummer. Put on a draft to replace losses suffered on the 1st July 1916, before he could be sent to France however his Mother told the Army about his age and he was taken back to the barracks. Six months later he wangled himself on another draft for France and served for the duration of the war.

4727286970_72f2ed80bd_z.jpg

Norman

No Norman, it is I that should thank you, it was a post between Paul Reed and yourself that set me on the task to find the documentary!! I was looking into Walter (Josh) Grover MM (2 RSR) on the forum after listening to his interview on the IWM archives, and came across the John Giles post with a photo of Josh and 'discovered' the documentary there - so thank you!

parts 2 - 4 my evenings viewings

All the very best

Jim

Thanks are mutual Jim, I find all of this film very moving but the last scenes are, well members will have to watch it themselves to find out..

"The place Belgium, the time 8 o’clock on a winters night and the ghosts walk"

Norman

Just finished watching it now Norman and Bill Turner reminded me so much of my grandfather in so many ways (looks. speech), It made it very very poignant. These documentaries should not be hidden away so. Listening to Alf Razzell ('A Game of Ghosts' - an earlier post) and Bill Turner and the other veterans this last week or so has been very moving and an education in itself.

Hope there are more documentaries to find, or better still replayed on TV for all to see

All the best

Jim

I agree both listening to and actually seeing the veterans adds a whole new dimension to our understanding of the Great War. There is another favourite of mine made about the same time as Gone for a Soldier, called Lions led by Donkeys which although it reflects the era in which it was made does contains many contributions from the veterans about the Battle of the Somme and is well worth a view. I cannot see it on Youtube but a member may be able to help as I have only got it on VHS tape and DVD would be much better a format.

Regards

Norman

Once again Jim you have done the business.

Maxi

That sounds an interesting one Norman and hope that can be tracked down for viewing. I am very interested in 1915 (2nd Royal Sussex at Aubers Ridge and Loos) and have toyed many times with getting Clark's book of the same name - although I prefer, as I think we all do, evidence over myth and I value what has been said about the book on the forum and on Amazon-reviews so have left it alone. I bought the 1964 'Great War' on DVD and have tapes of the Lost Voices series and have always been humbled listening to the veterans. They make these documentaries.

Pleasure Maxi, what the forum is all about, sharing what we find to pass on the knowledge and experiences. Enjoy!!

Cheers

Jim

Watching "A Game of Ghosts" I was struck with the looks, speech and character of one of the survivors, Tom Bromley.

Was he the inspiration for Peter Kays "Phoenix Nights" Brian Potter character?

Kevin

post-46134-0-00630300-1365056977_thumb.j

Thanks Jim my realplayers on the go again

Biff :thumbsup::w00t:

Think I've found an hour long one about Kitchener's army on the Somme, not sure of production date - going to check it out and if any good post on forum

Cheers

Jim

• 2 weeks later...

game of ghosts just watched,superb stuff.......seems to be made 94? peter kay has nothing on corporal bromley !!!

gone for a soldier up for ten mins before i head for bed......that is re-enactment film of action, i believe taken shortly after the great war, isnt it?

still,its great to see this as to get a feel for the fighting

the doc or film i would love to see would be `the battle of loos`......