Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

FamilySearch : WW1 Service and Pension records free

MaureenE

In the bad old days before internet and easy access to family records I used to use the LDS centres quite a bit, where one could order Fische copies of church/BDM's etc and then use their readers

to access the provided records. If they didn't have a copy (usually) these would be ordered and they would notify you when the copies arrived. Their service was first class and not once was religion

mentioned or their own pushed down your throat. A most professional service is all I can say and there would be no problem in using the latest release of records in my opinion.

• 4 weeks later...

Unfortunately, the FamilySearch website has recently advised online viewing is restricted to members The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. These images may also be viewed at a FamilySearch Centre at no cost. I was unaware when I made the original post that these restrictions applied, so I apologise for raising expectations.

Cheers

Maureen

Inevitably there are accuracy problems with some of the data and as much of it is sent in by church members you can't necessarily check the accuracy very easily),

The new familysearch site does not include the submitted pedigrees in the search any longer. You can search it separately if you wish

Peter

Re: the link between the Mormons and Ancestry, IIRC I believe Ancestry is a commercial enterprise started by former members of the team that worked on the church's digitisation setup. They simply spotted a commercial opportunity in what the church were doing.

Regards

Ian

I am a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints and therefore known as 'A Mormon' for short. Members of the church have been asked to give of their time freely to index over 5,000,000 records relating to WW1 soldiers by the end of September in time for next year's celebrations. The New family Search will be up and running soon and anybody will be able to view the records.

I know some will think that there is an ulterior motive for the church doing this, there isn't. We as members believe that families can be together for ever, i.e. even after death so family history work is very important to us. We also appreciate that those who are not 'Mormons' also have an interest in family history research and may find the indexing of these records very useful and of interest.

Anyone wanting to assist in the indexing I will include a link at the weekend as I do not have it to hand and I will be very busy for the rest of the week. If anyone has any questions regarding the indexing or what records are available either at the www.FamilySearch.org website or at Family History Centres or where you closest one is just PM me.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for your post Ivor.

I visited a centre for the first time last week and was made very welcome.

You have a PM.

:)

In the bad old days before internet and easy access to family records I used to use the LDS centres quite a bit, where one could order Fische copies of church/BDM's etc and then use their readers

to access the provided records. If they didn't have a copy (usually) these would be ordered and they would notify you when the copies arrived. Their service was first class and not once was religion

mentioned or their own pushed down your throat. A most professional service is all I can say and there would be no problem in using the latest release of records in my opinion.

I agree wholeheartedly. In the days before the internet when we had to do things the old-fashioned way, I used a local LDS family history research centre where volunteers were most helpful. Very useful and saved travelling to various record offices in other areas. Microfiche from any area or parish could be ordered. I usually had to ring up in advance to make sure they were open, but it never seemed to be a problem for them to open. I know that overseas in the USA and Commonwealth countries family history research was at that time (20 yrs ago) much more popular than it was in the UK, before the days of WDYTTA and overseas family history centres were open daily with a lot more users. Family historians over here were generally thought to be a bit peculiar but now everyone's at it! I seem to remember that on the family research site they have a listing of all the FHC and their addresses and contact details

Edit: Here is the page to find a centre in any location:

https://familysearch...s/centerlocator

For those intending to visit a FamilySearch Centre, also known as a Family History Centre, there is a FIBIS Fibiwiki page "FamilySearch Centres"

http://wiki.fibis.or...ySearch_Centres

Although the emphasis of the page is for those researchIng India related genealogy (of the British Raj period) there is a lot of basic information which applies to everyone. Includes advice such as telephones are often only connected during opening hours and the advisability of pre booking a microfilm reader if you have ordered a microfilm.

Cheers

Maureen