Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

FamilySearch : WW1 Service and Pension records free

MaureenE

Service and pension records from World War 1 from the National Archives, Kew have been available on the pay site Ancestry.com. for a while. These are British Army WWI Service Records 1914-1920 also called WO 363 records and known as the ‘Burnt Documents, and British Army WWI Pension Records 1914-1920 also called WO 364 records.

These records have recently become available on the free website FamilySearch as images.

https://familysearch.org/search/collection/2125045

They are explained in this FamilySearch Research Wiki

https://familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/United_Kingdom,_World_War_I_Service_Records_(FamilySearch_Historical_Records)

Although the names on the images have not been transcribed, it appears the images are grouped alphabetically, so these records are an alternative if you do not have access to Ancestry

Cheers

Maureen

If you go to indexing at the top of the home page and then worldwide indexing project more, halfway down the page, find United Kingdom in the list and you will see they are asking for help indexing these records.

Stumbled across this the other day but didn't realise you could browse the images.

Mandy

Hi

Interesting, will have a look.

Thanks for posting.

regards

Robert

Browsing 19.2 million images with no search except by name is likely to be hard work. But then, perhaps no harder than using an index which is rubbish!

It looks like you cant access it unless you are in one of their centres or are a member of a support organisation, whatever that may be, I get the same messages.

Pity!

regards

Robert

I have just tried this site and got as far as openning a new account when I came across a reference to "The church of latter day saints" or the Mormons if you prefer. I know that they have a large archive in a vault up at Salt Lake City but at this point I lost interest.

I think these are the records that WFA have just got hold of

Cheers Tom

Have misread your post, or did you lose interest because the records are from the Church of the Latter Day Saints? If so, why? Neil

Thank you for your comments

I had not tried to access these records, so did not realise the problem. I have never had problems accessing other records on FamilySearch

I am trying to clarify with FamilySearch what the conditions are to access these records on your own computer. I cannot image FamilySearch want a large number of people trying to access these records at Family History Centres, where computers may be limited.

The Family Search website https://www.familysearch.org/ is provided by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. This is an enormous genealogical resource. As a non Mormon, I am very greatful that the Mormon church has made the website and its microfilms and Family History Centres available to all, as I have discovered a great deal of my family history through these resources

Cheers

Maureen

Of course, not everyone knows WHY the Mormons have so many records, and for what purpose...

:ph34r:

-Daniel, who will say no more

Of course, not everyone knows WHY the Mormons have so many records, and for what purpose...

:ph34r:

-Daniel, who will say no more

Now now Daniel!! Most North Americans would understand the allusion!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hazel

Hi

I am thankful they do have records online, it certainly has been a big help in tracing my family...

but please do elaborate for an ignorant Aussie.

regards

Robert

I could be wrong, but I seem to remember being told when I first started doing my family tree many, many years ago that Ancestry is owned by the Mormons (church of the latter day saints).

There is no problem with using the site linked to by Maureene, again one I've used for years.

If anyone does have a problem with Mormons, perhaps they should reconsider using sites like Ancestry as well then?

Anyone who wants to know why the Mormons have collected the largest genealogical library in the world and why 13 million Mormons are encouraged to research their family roots can find the answer on their website HERE.

CGM

EDIT: I have removed a sentence I wrote which suggested you looked at "Terry answered" which I felt explained very clearly the aim of the genealogy searches but when I checked the link to the website worked I discovered that the "answers" come up randomly so you are unlikely to find it.

These records have been available as microfilm at LDS Family History Centres for many years, and long before they were online with Ancestry. They are identical to the rolls of microfilm in use at The National Archives, and you had to order them in advance and could then view them at the FHS for a period of three weeks before they were returned. For people who had difficulties getting to TNA because of distance it was a very useful service as there are LDS Family History Centres all over the country/world. So I imagine that these records consist of the same reels of microfilm, but now supplied as an online service. Browsing through rolls of film, unindexed, was a very time-consuming process with no guarantee of anything remotely near to 'results.' Even online, without indexing it will far short of what people have come to expect and will make Ancestry indexing seem like a godsend.

I don't think that the LDS Church owns Ancestry any more than your local library does - i.e. you can access the site at their FH Centres.

Sue

Here's a Wikipedia link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ancestry.com

If you can disentangle who owns what, good luck to you. Members of the LDS do feature very heavily as owners of Ancestry.

I do not have a problem with this, I was merely pointing out what I had been told many moons ago.

As both the Church of the LDS and Ancestry are based so close together in Utah, there must be a considerable LDS connection with the religious beliefs of the Ancestry workforce even if not in the actual ownership. I'm always very grateful to the LDS Church for being the 'first in' to accessible family history when they indexed the 1881 census. Before that there absolutely nothing at all to make life easy, and without them I think it would have taken a lot longer to get moving. I've often visited a LDS FH Centre locally and have only been met with helpful, friendly staff, with no hint of religion being peddled.

Sue

Sue said "So I imagine that these records consist of the same reels of microfilm, but now supplied as an online service."

This is true, and if this link to my photobucket works you will be able to see a roll end I found on Ancestry when looking through the soldier's service records.

See here

OK. FAILED I will try harder. :(

As both the Church of the LDS and Ancestry are based so close together in Utah, there must be a considerable LDS connection with the religious beliefs of the Ancestry workforce even if not in the actual ownership. I'm always very grateful to the LDS Church for being the 'first in' to accessible family history when they indexed the 1881 census. Before that there absolutely nothing at all to make life easy, and without them I think it would have taken a lot longer to get moving. I've often visited a LDS FH Centre locally and have only been met with helpful, friendly staff, with no hint of religion being peddled.

Sue

I know whose transcriptions / indexing I prefer :)

Phil

From what I can gather there is a newer version of the familysearch site under development which is limited only to certain LDS member who are used as beta testers. I would guess that the site (and they've apparently had big problems with the software) has the images and these won't be available until the new site is made public (if ever).

As I said in post 2 they are asking for help in indexing these records.

Everyone moans about ancestry indexing, so if you have some spare time there is plenty to be getting on with. Most importantly it says under Records Access - The general public can freely access the completed index and links to digital images online once the collection is published.

Have copied and pasted info from their website

UK—WWI Service Records, 1914–1920 [Part 1]

Project Home Page

About This Project

• World War I Service Records, 1914-1920, contains the records of nearly 5 million soldiers who served during World War I. These records were held in the War Office in London, which was bombed during a World War II bombing raid. Nearly 60% of these records were destroyed. Many of the records that remain were damaged by fire as a result of the bombing, so the records are referred to as the “Burnt Documents.” The surviving documents contain valuable information about theses soldiers, including the name, age, birthplace, occupation, marital status, physical description, and details of military service.

How to Help with This Project

• If you have not already done so, you must register as an indexing volunteer to help with this project. To register and to download the indexing program, click here for the home page. Click Get Started, and follow the instructions on the page.
  • After you register, click the Begin Indexing link on the indexing home page, and sign in to the indexing program using your user name and password. Then, click the Download Batch button, and select this project name from the list. To see the project name on the list, you may need to select Show all projects at the top of the Download Batch window.

Skill Level: Intermediate

• This project is recommended for volunteers who are familiar with the indexing process and are comfortable using various system features.

Sample Images

Description and Characteristics

• This project is to index multiple different soldier's forms from the UK WWI Service Records.
  • Each batch contains five images.
  • Each image includes one record.
  • The forms are handwritten or typed, often on preprinted forms.
  • No highlights are available.

Records Access

• The general public can freely access the completed index and links to digital images online once the collection is published.

Additional Information

Mandy

I've used the Mormon website (the IGI I believe it used to be known as) for a number of years. Inevitably there are accuracy problems with some of the data and as much of it is sent in by church members you can't necessarily check the accuracy very easily), but the site does have the advantage that it has a lot of early parish records on it, not often accessible elsewhere for free. I've also used one of their research facilities and found staff very helpful - and there was no attempt to push their religious agenda during my visit. Mind you, if they turned up on the doorstep they'd get about as much of my time as double glazing salesmen....