Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Youngest casualty at age 16?

margaretdufay

Midshipmen, I am told, as young as 12 were not at all uncommon in the RN of the Napoleonic wars - and then there were those very young who brought up powder for the guns during action.

Very interesting thread. When these boys were enlisting did they have to lie about there age to make themselves

Older. I was looking at the service returns on scotlandspeople for Charles Munro and Peter Deans, and

If they are the same chaps listed (i have only done a basic search) there ages are given as19 and 20, I wonder if there parents knew

That they were joining up. My great uncle was also very young when he enlisted and on his

Service return he is two years older than he actually was.

Regards

Jane

Pte 310462 Walter Ambrose Sterling. Royal Air Force died age 14 yrs and 7 months on the 5th November 1918.

at Blandford Camp Hospital, Dorset and is Buried in Belfast Shankill Burying-ground.

His 8yr old brother Sydney (wee Syd) died on the 26th Nov 1918 also Buried in Belfast Shankill Burying-ground.

A mosaic stone was recently placed in the front grounds of Shankill Graveyard by the local Shankill Area Social History Group (SASH), with a few other Shankill people who are buried or remembered in Belfast Shankill Graveyard.

: The Baird family, founders of Belfast Telegraph newspaper.

: Nurse Margaret Cameron Young Voluntary Aid Detachment.

Died in France

Anyone want full res 254 KB image, just PM me with email or get in touch though website.

I cant seem to attach full image.

Walter

post-64827-0-33460100-1372607287_thumb.j