Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

'A Game of Ghosts' 1991 Documentary

Jim Hastings

Dear All,

Searching for some GW documentaries on the internet last evening I came across the above from the early Nineties. An Everyman production it focuses on the Somme (and later, as it turns out) experiences of four veterans. I did plan to save it to watch it today but was so transfixed I watched the lot - a captivating 45 minutes. For me, the recollections of Cpl Alf Razzell of 8th Royal Fusiliers, from Ovillers to Arras and POW, were the most poignant I have seen so far anywhere. His painful description of having to leave his wounded comrade, Bill Hubbard, will stay with me for a very long time. For those that know it, 'Razz' features in Jonathan Nicholls 'Cheerful Sacrifice' about Arras 1917 (there are even two photos of him).

Here is the link, so that other forum members can also benefit from this documentary. I searched 'A Game of Ghosts' on the forum and Paul Reed reported it as being a very good documentary but, at the time, unavailable. Here it is now.

Hope you enjoy it as I did

Cheers Jim

top man jim, :thumbsup: I have wanted to see this for years,I went to youtube and watched it full screen the quality is excellent good enough for realplayer !!!!

Brave men all gone but we will remember them

Biff :poppy:

Pleasure All,

Plan to watch it again later, as it actually 'got to me' more than 'Veterans' and 'Last Voices', which I really value. I wonder if the TV production companies have any idea of the treasure troves they must have in their documentary archives that would be well served on DVD?!

Sadly I never got to talk to a GW veteran (my grandfather dying when I was six), but it would have been an extra honour to have heard Alf Razzell's war in it's entirity.

Will keep looking for documentaries online, and if good production will post on forum. I wonder what's out there ...

By the way, worked out through Hubbard and by checking 'Cheerful Sacrifice' that Razzell was 8 RF, and there was the ASC veteran, but did anyone manage to determine the units of the other two vets?

Best wishes and happy Easter to all, good viewing

Jim

Thanks Jim, Im off to try and download it somewhere, for keeps :thumbsup:

Regards,

Sean.

Good old Tom Bromley - wearing his WFA tie - on his battlefield trip with that lovely chap Jack Horsfall. Jack wrote several books including a history of his Dad's Burnley Battery, the Devil's Own. A pleasure to have met them both. Sad to think they have all gone.

Jim

You are the dog's gonads again.

Maxi

A fantastic find and incredibly affecting to see the footaage of Sid Lovell, who I used to visit in Tring from the late 80s until his death. Just before recording this he made his one and only return visit to the Somme and stood in Pozieres Cemetery about 50 yards from where he was wounded on 21st July 1916.

Has anyone found a way of downloading it?

John

Cheers Maxi!!! :thumbsup:

Hi John, did a bit of digging after reading your post and found Sid Lovell with the OBLI and a MM winner too. Sorry many may have already known this, but these vets are all new to a relative newbie like me I'm ashamed to say. What a very humble man he seemed, but obviously so brave. Was he 2 OBLI?

I'd love to know how to download them (but I was the kid at school that walked past the computer club, shook my head and said 'it's a fad that won't last' .... er, well goes to show what I knew eh!!??)

I would love to know how to download it too :doh:. Biffo has put me on the right track with 'realplayer', but still trying to work out how to use it :devilgrin:

Thanks Chris,

One to try tomorrow - tonight is Leo McKern 1976 BBC 'Battle of the Somme' (dated but brilliant IMHO) and the 16th Royal Scots 'The Supreme Sacrifice' (never seen before), both on Youtube.

Good viewing everybody

Jim

You may need a current version of Java plug-in installed on your PC. Then use one of several video download sites such as http://www.savevid.com/ to download.

Thanks Chris, now safely on my hard drive :thumbsup:

Regards,

Sean.

That's awesome, I think I'll watch this in one sitting as well.

Cheers Andy.

One to try tomorrow - tonight is Leo McKern 1976 BBC 'Battle of the Somme' (dated but brilliant IMHO).

I watched it the other day. I didn't find it at all dated, but timeless. It was also respectful, and respectfully solemn, and beautifully photographed. Such a contrast to modern productions of this kind, belittled by inappropriate music and desperate, inevitably inadequate, re-enactments. Sometimes you just need a voice, to which the only addition might be footage of those great empty, wind-rippled acres, the wide open skies, and the sound of skylarks.

We've just finished watching this. A very moving and well made documentary. One I think would perhaps go down well in schools?

Thank you very much for posting the link.

I too will download it to my hardrive.

Hi Kim,

I'm a trainee history teacher and I thought the same thing. It very much conveys how things really were for the soldiers then, I feel, all important to pass onto future generations. I can easily see such a documentary bringing a class to silent thoughfulness.

Definitely one to save. Wish there were more documentaries like it.

All the best

Jim

It's weird I have a family member who was killed his name was Alfred Razzell, I wouldn't have thought it was a popular surname.

Jim

Sid Lovell was 1/1st Bucks Bn. Summary of his service record below:

Lovell Sidney, 2338 Pte., (265712 Sergt.), A, w 21/7/16, to England 27/7/16, rej. 17/2/17, w 8/8/17, rej. 26/8/17, dis 15/2/19. MM - Attack on M Catz. Took over Lewis gun after platoon pinned down by machine gun fire and gunner knocked out. Exposed himself to fire of enemy, firing gun from hip, enabling another section to outfllank position.

John

I wonder how long this will will be on YouTube before it's pulled for breach of copyright? Get in there quick I say!

Jim, in answer to your question: "I wonder if the TV production companies have any idea of the treasure troves they must have in their documentary archives that would be well served on DVD?!" I spoke to a well placed contact at the BBC recently. The answer to your question is yes, sort of, but many old programmes are no longer allowed to be aired. I'm currently waiting for a reply as to why this is.

Thank you Stuartd,

Think I'd better get it copied fast!! I'd be really interested why the BBC (and possibly others) feel these programmes cannot be aired, please do pass on the reply if you can.

Have a good day

Jim

Hi Jim, yes I would get it copied fast! Game of Ghosts is considered by many to be THE best documentary on WW1 and it has been virtually impossible to get hold of unless you know anyone with an old VHS recording of it which has been transferred across to DVD. Over the years many documentaries have appeared on YouTube (Testimony Films' series 'Veterans' springs to mind) only to be pulled off a short time after for breach of copyright.

I met the contact from the BBC at a recent WW1 conference and I asked her to follow up on some old WW1 mini-docs aimed at school children which were aired years ago. She got back to me and said that the BBC was no longer allowed to show them - even though the BBC label is all over the programme including the opening and closing credits! I have asked why this is and whether this means that many old gems can't be shown as I had asked her about the possibility of re-screening programmes like Game of Ghosts in the centenary year next year. I'll get back to you when (if?!) I hear back.