Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Any info on this Baghdad badge?

vea53

I am doing some family research for a friend. She has this badge in her possession which belonged to her grandfather.

He was Gunner John Lintott Fort of the RFA and his number was 162976.

Is it possible to deduce his regiment from this number?

We would like information on what he would have been involved in during his time in the Middle East.

The badge says A336-BDERFA.CE BAGHDAD 1917-18

Many Thanks

post-37623-0-81559800-1364500989_thumb.j

This looks like a non-issue identity disc. The details mean that Gnr Lintott was in A Battery, 336 Brigade, Royal Field Artillery. From this you may be able to trace a medal index card via Ancestry, free, or via The National Archives at a small charge.

If you click on the link at the top of these pages for The Long, Long Trail, you will find guidance on research, pages on RFA brigades and much, much else.

D

Thank you for your reply.

We have his medal index card and all it gives is the info we already have and Roll RFA/272B, Page 34461 for his British and Victory medal.

I have discovered that Baghdad was captured in March 1917. What we would were hoping for is some more detail about what life would have been like serving in this theatre of war.

Thanks

http://www.1914-1918.net/mespot.htm try this link to Long Long Trail Mesopotamia Theatre..

Thank you for the very informative link. I have also found a link in a previous post to an online book describing life in Mesopotamia during this period.

Now I know Gunner John Lintott Fort 162976 was in the 336 brigade of the 18th Division is it possible to find out when he would have arrived in Iraq?

Would he have been in India first? Does his number give any clues to when he signed up? He was born in 1887, he married in 1910 and was a fishmonger in Southsea in the 1911 Census.

I think to get a definitive answer on the dates he arrived in theatre, you would need to get a hold of the Medal Roll. This generally has the dates served from and to in each theatre.

Taking into account that the 18th Division was formed in Iraq, He could have arrived at any time.

Cheers Andy.

Thank you for the very informative link. I have also found a link in a previous post to an online book describing life in Mesopotamia during this period.

Now I know Gunner John Lintott Fort 162976 was in the 336 brigade of the 18th Division is it possible to find out when he would have arrived in Iraq?

Would he have been in India first? Does his number give any clues to when he signed up? He was born in 1887, he married in 1910 and was a fishmonger in Southsea in the 1911 Census.

A bit of a double take with 18th Division - in fact 18th (Indian) Div.

That (possibly) very useful web site wikipedia says:

The 18th Indian Division was formed during World War I in 1917 from units of the British Indian Army, for service inMesopotamia and Persia, in what was called the Mesopotamia Campaign. The Division was attached to the Tigris Corpsand was involved in the Actions at the Fat-ha Gorge and on the Little Zab between the 23–26 October 1918 and theBattle of Sharqat between 28–30 October 1918.[1]

At the end of the war the division would remain in Iraq as part of the Iraq Occupation Force, until it was disbanded in 1920.

I have been looking at previous Great War Forum postings about RFA 336 Brigade and have found one from "wags" posted 18/2/2007 which says he has a diary belonging to his grandfather who was also in A battery like John Lintott Fort! It would be great to find out whether it mentions him or what their experiences were in Iraq.

I tried to send him a message but the site tells me he is not able to receive messages. As I am a relative beginner on the forum can anyone tell me how else I might contact him?

Many Thanks

wags hasn't made enough posts to use the PM system. S/he is still about, their profile shows s/he was on the forum in mid-February. I don't think there is any other way to contact them.

• 4 years later...

Hi all  

My Grandfather Lt Donald Menteith Holland was in 'A' Battery 336th RFA in Mesopotamia. There is a pocket diary of a Staff Sergent  G H Cullen who was also in the same unit at the Imperial War Museum. If someone gets to read it first before I do, please share. I'm a bit far away in Australia.

thanks 

Will

• 3 years later...
On 31/03/2013 at 11:00, vea53 said:

I have been looking at previous Great War Forum postings about RFA 336 Brigade and have found one from "wags" posted 18/2/2007 which says he has a diary belonging to his grandfather who was also in A battery like John Lintott Fort! It would be great to find out whether it mentions him or what their experiences were in Iraq.

I tried to send him a message but the site tells me he is not able to receive messages. As I am a relative beginner on the forum can anyone tell me how else I might contact him?

Many Thanks

Hello vea53

were you ever able to make contact with Tony Waghorn “wags” regarding his Grandfather in A Battery 336 Brigade?  I’ve sent him/her an email but havnt heard back. 
John Lintott Fort was also in A Battery. 
my Grandfather Lt Donald Menteith Holland too. 

On 31/03/2013 at 11:00, vea53 said:

Many Thanks

1C3311CA-B443-48E6-AE76-6F92A0AF05AE.png