Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

War Diaries at the National Archive

jainvince

A recent browse through the available War Diaries resulted in literally thousands of available diaries including many new Diaries for Battalions/Regiments.

If you haven't found the diary you are interested in up to now try again via this link to the National Archives http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/SearchUI/s/res?_q=War+Diaries+WO+95%2F&_sd=1914&_ed=1922&x=35&y=17

Good Hunting

Bernard

I can't see any more available that I want for download but there do seem to be some war diaries listed that weren't previously - hopefully these ones are to be downloadable soon...

• Admin

There are threads all over the place about the war diary digitisation and the newly photographed diaries won't be online until next year as part of TNA's Centenary contribution.

I amy have been premature regarding those which are currently available as a download. However, the link remains useful.

I have therefore re-instated the ability to receive my list of War Diaries currently available as downloads simply by sending a PM to me advising your emails address.

Best wishes

Bernarf

• 2 weeks later...

Nothing for me - so far.

Kindest Regards,

Tom.

Noticed that the British Army Order of Battle is available to down load. Does anyone know the detail it does into please - for example does it show to which units/formations Field Bakeries were attached to or is it more general than that?

Thanks all,

Ant

Nothing there that I am interested, but I went to TNA on Saturday and looked at my interest. 1st Battalion Royal Welsh in Salonika

Anne

Ant,

Are you referring to WO 95/5468, Order of Battle of the British Armies in France, which covers Dec 1916 to Dec 1917?

The Field Bakeries come under Lines of Communication, as do the Field Butcheries. The snapshot below is from December 1917:

post-20576-0-49372500-1366051332_thumb.j

Phil

Phil,

yes I think so. I'm wondering whether the detail does as far as to show the division the field bakeries serviced (if it's that simple - no expert on lines of communication?). In particular the 4th Field Bakery from August 1914 (I am guessing the 4th Division) and then the 8th Field Bakery 1917 to March 1918.

G. G. Grandpa was in the 4th FBy, then 8th FBy before serving in the 8th Royal Berks March 1918.

Ant

I'm afraid that's it Ant. L of C and no more.

I just had a recap of the old thread. One day an expert will turn up.

Phil

Phil,

thanks for your time - I suspect (after a number of requests) there are few people out there with much interest in the humble bakers - not the most exciting role carried out during the G.W. but your right - the answers are are there somewhere!

Once again,

Thanks,

Ant

• 1 month later...

Bernard,

Many thanks, I am very grateful for the link. It has saved me hours prior to recent visits to Kew. I always seem to get lost on their site when browsing or searching the catalogue, your link invaluable and I'm certain I am not alone.

Tony p

• 4 months later...

Thank you for that link Bernard, I have spent hours scouring Discovery via its search engine and got nowhere, with your link I found the War Diary I am interested in in minutes last night! Sadly, not digitized yet but at least I know where to find it. Carolyn

Principal digitisation finished in August 2012.

They are now going through and doing quality assurance on the results and re-imaging any which are not up to scratch.

Result aiming to be out around August next year, i.e. in time for the centenary.

Do not, however, be misled. If you are expecting the entire range of 5500 pieces to be digitised then you may be disappointed.

This project has not had the funds to do that task, so they have concentrated on Divisions-level and below on the Western Front.

No Corps / Armies / GHQ. No LoC. No medical services. Nothing much from other theatres, although they may have covered Gallipoli?

The remainder will be forthcoming only if more funding can be found.

Simon

Thanks Simon

In that case, I may be due a schlep "dahn sarf" - there's a mid 1918 - 1919 diary I need, to complete a battalion set. And I've a number of brigade HQ ones I need to have a nosy at to see if they have any more detail of major attacks than the rather sparse info in the battalion diary I have.

John

Excellent link found some diaries I was looking for