Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

302 Siege Battery RGA

Psmith24

Hi all,

I'd be grateful for help in tracking down 302nd Siege Battery RGA in 1918.

I believe the battery went from 94th HAG to 15th Brigade (not quite sure how RGA brigades differ from HAGs) sometime in the early part of that year, but I can't seem to find them on the National Archive website.

I'm trying to get hold of their war diary to find out what happened to one of the battery's gunners, a John Edyvean from Padstow in Cornwall, who died of wounds in a blasting accident sometime around the 21st March 1918.

Also, if anyone has any idea as to which casualty clearing station/hospital he may have been taken to I'd be extremely grateful.

Peter

Peter,

The war diaries for 94 HAG can be found under WO 95/4206, and for 15 Brigade WO 95/4205.

Only having had a quick look (I haven't much spare time at the moment) I might suggest that it may be likely that he went out with 390 SB, which went from Italy to Egypt and returned again on 20 Jan 1918. It may be possible if he did go to Italy with 390 SB he may have been transferred before going to Egypt to 302 SB in Italy. Actually the most likely battery he may have joined is 134 HB, but this battery needs researching after Dec 1917 after it went to East Africa.

Kevin

Kevin,

Many thanks for your reply. I have just a few questions:

As it says 302 SB on Edyvean's CWGC entry I have assumed that was the unit he was in when he died. I know there are mistakes in CWGC records, but have you any particular reason to believe he wasn't with the 302 but in the 390 instead?

Your mention of 134 HB has puzzled me a bit too. Several of the territorial RGA men from Padstow went with the 134 to East Africa (I have researched them pretty well), but is your suggestion that he originally joined them and was posted to a battery in Italy later?

I have been told that the service numbers of Territorial RGA men can give a clue to their original units. If that is true how can I find out how to do it?

By the way, Edyvean's number is 321004 and he was buried in Padua cemetery.

You can probably tell that I haven't a great grasp of artillery matters, so I apologies for any dumb questions.

Thanks again for your help.

Peter

Hi Peter

The title HAG was changed to Brigade RGA (normally shortened to just Brigade) around December 1917. The actual HAG numbers remained unchanged as far as I know. Thus all the War Diaries in TNA are entitled Brigade.

Peter,

the diary for 94 Brigade, formerly 94 Heavy Artillery Group - they changed their title in early 1918, does not list 302 siege battery as part of the brigade in March 1918. At that time the brigade comprised of 293, 315, 316, 317, X battery and 155 Heavy. Farndale does state something different which has previously caused some consternation and debate in other threads but the 94 Brigade diary clearly states its composition.

Presumably by March your battery of interest was elsewhere, more than likely with 15 Brigade.

Apologies for no further info.

Seany

Peter,

the diary for 94 Brigade, formerly 94 Heavy Artillery Group - they changed their title in early 1918, does not list 302 siege battery as part of the brigade in March 1918. At that time the brigade comprised of 293, 315, 316, 317, X battery and 155 Heavy. Farndale does state something different which has previously caused some consternation and debate in other threads but the 94 Brigade diary clearly states its composition.

Presumably by March your battery of interest was elsewhere, more than likely with 15 Brigade.

Apologies for no further info.

Seany

Thanks for that Seany.

I have just tried to get a copy of the relevant date entries for 15 Brigade war diary, but they turned me down flat for not enough detail so I'll have to make another trip to Kew. I have a stack of other war diaries (most infantry) to get through at NA anyway so I'll have to add it to the list. I love opening those brown boxes, it's like stepping back in time...

Thanks again.

Peter

Thanks for that Seany.

I have just tried to get a copy of the relevant date entries for 15 Brigade war diary, but they turned me down flat for not enough detail so I'll have to make another trip to Kew. I have a stack of other war diaries (most infantry) to get through at NA anyway so I'll have to add it to the list. I love opening those brown boxes, it's like stepping back in time...

Thanks again.

Peter

I too recently had a copying request turned down. They have an online "estimate" system so I took up quite a bit of time requesting date bands for specified WO 95 and HAGs/Brigades and without explanation they declined to do this - even at £1 per page plus P &P.

Why have an online estimate request procedure if it would appear they seem unable to meet even straightforward and basic requests? Or am I missing something?

I will now have to make the trip to Kew in person.