Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Review of Ramleh CWGC Cemetery

michaeldr

Note - 16th June 2008; This old thread was somewhere in the GWF archives, sans the original photographs (which no doubt saved some space). In view of a recent question about headstone design at this cemetery, I have revived it with the aid of 'Photoshop' and 'Photobucket' [though after this long interval of years, I cannot be absolutely certain that these photographs are exactly as in the original]

On Monday 30th August 2004, I visited the Ramleh CWGC Cemetery to take care of some photography on behalf of three of the Pals. This was my third such visit to this cemetery in 2003/4 and some changes could be seen this time as it seems that a programme of refurbishment has begun there.

The first thing which I noticed was that some trees have been cut down and while I regret the loss of any tree, I can imagine that their roots may have been causing problems. On the plus side, the now open aspect makes the cemetery seem more inclusive and less divided. I understand that work will be done to level some presently uneven areas and that the headstones are to be realigned and given new foundations.

The latter work has already commenced and afforded an opportunity to see how the CWGC achieve their classic ‘parade ground’ uniformity. The blocks of graves are divided into rows each containing 15 headstones. Each of these rows of headstones stands in a single strip of concrete foundation and is checked for alignment by lines running from the corresponding rows in the neighbouring blocks. When the new foundation is ready to receive the headstone, the latter is put in place with cement and clamped there until it has set into its new bed. The clamps consist of two spars running up from the corresponding headstone in the row behind; from the foot of the rear headstone to either side of the top of the one to be newly set in place. The new foundation strip is neither wide, nor does it reach up to ground level. Thus when the installation work is finished, it can be discretely covered with soil and plants placed very close by, so as to complete the usual appearance of the grave.

See below two photographs of the foundation work

Ramlehreconstructionwork.jpg

post-19-1094533422.jpg

I recollect from previous threads that some Pals have an interest in the variety of headstone designs which can be found in CWGC cemeteries. Ramleh offers a wide variety as there are at least 24 different forces represented there, 12 of them from outside of the Commonwealth.

Here are photographs of four examples, clockwise from top right;

French, Polish, Norwegian & Czech

RamlehexamplesFrPolNorwegCzech.jpg

post-19-1094533544.jpg

Another reason for the wide variety of headstone designs is that Ramleh is not only a War Graves cemetery, but it was also used by the British during the time of their Palestine Mandate between the World Wars and up until 1948.

The next example is of two headstones to senior NCOs of the 2nd Battalion,

The Duke of Wellington’s Regiment; CQMS T. Dunn and CSM R. Walker who were killed in 1924. Note the trefoil design of the tops of the headstones.

The three headstones in the row behind are similar to the Czech design in that they are wedge shaped, being wider at the foot than at the top. However they are broader than the Czech model and the top has a serpentine curve to it. These headstones mark the graves of members of the Palestine Police.

RamlehinterwarexamplesDoWRegandPalP.jpg

post-19-1094533642.jpg

The following example is a design which you are more likely to come across in an English parish churchyard; a simple stone cross on a three stepped base. It is to Private C. Sancer of The Northamptonshire Regiment.

RamlehinterwarexmpNorthamptonRegmnt.jpg

post-19-1094533723.jpg

The two examples shown below are to children. One looks like a modern replacement stone, however it caught my eye because of the poignant brevity of its inscription; “Infant Manson, 29th May 1929.” [note - 16 June 2008; at present I am unable to find and replace this photograph]

The second stone stands out because it is remarkably narrow. It dates from 1933 and is to Bryan, the 3 year old son of Cpl and Mrs A. Simpson, RAF.

Ramlehinterwarexmpchildsheastone.jpg

post-19-1094533898.jpg

Returning to the time of the First World War, the following memorials may also be of interest. The first is a beautiful tall, white, stone needle with inscriptions in Turkish and English. The English reads; “1914-1918 Honoured here are 416 officers and men of the Turkish Army. This monument commemorates the men buried within this cemetery who died in this land while serving the Turkish state.”

RamlehTurkishWarMemorial.jpg

post-19-1094533997.jpg

The second and third make up the two sides of a free standing stone screen, with each side bearing a memorial.

One plaque reads;

“1914-1918

In memory of Seventy five soldiers of the Indian Army, Six hundred and thirty two Egyptian soldiers, Thirty six Turkish soldiers and Five German soldiers who died in Israel and in neighbouring lands. In the year 1961 when the places where they were commemorated could no longer be maintained this memorial was raised in their honour.”

The plaque on the other side reads;

“1914-1918

Of the Twenty eight Muslim soldiers here commemorated Seventeen were formerly buried at Sarona Cemetery and Eleven at Wilhelma Cemetery. When these burial places could no longer be maintained, the remains were brought here and reverently reburied, those from Sarona in 1952 and those from Wilhelma in 1958.”

Ramlehfreestandingscreenmemorial.jpg

post-19-1094534110.jpg

Next to the WWI section’s Cross of Sacrifice is a wall plaque “In grateful memory of the soldiers of the 53rd (Welsh) Division who fell in action in Palestine between March 1917 and October 1918.”

Ramlehplaqueto53rdWelshDiv.jpg

post-19-1094534246.jpg

It was also nice to be able to add to this forum’s tribute to Gunner C. H. Broadbridge who was ‘Remembered on the GWF’ on 8th June 2004. For his headstone see http://1914-1918.org/forum/index.php?showt...;hl=broadbridge

[note - 16 June 2008; I can no longer find this memorial thread, however Gunner Broadbridge is not forgotten and his headstone can now be seen below]

RamlehGunnerBroadbridge.jpg

The memorial to the 966 forgotten men of the Egyptian Labour Corps can be seen at http://1914-1918.org/forum/index.php?showt...=18128&st=0

[Note - 16 June 2008: this link too seems to have been broken, however the memorial to the 966 ELC men can be seen below]

Ramleh966menofELCmem.jpg

For further general views of Ramleh CWGC Cemetery then please see

http://1914-1918.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=2286

and

http://1914-1918.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=8868

[note - 16 June 2008: Likewise, these two links also seem to be broken and I substitute the two images now to be seen in post #16 below]

Finally, and with regret, I have to say that like too many other places Ramleh is not free from problems. On my way around the cemetery I found two headstones which had been daubed with paint. This matter should not be ignored, but neither should it be exaggerated; two out of several thousands is really not very many at all. On the positive side, I am happy to say that I believe the matter is already being attended to. At the time of my visit the cemetery office was closed as they were observing the English August Bank Holiday, however the foreman, Mr Christo, listened to my remarks and strait away asked if I could show him the two headstones in question. This I was happy to do and I received his assurance that the paint could be removed. I am also inclined to accept his theory that these were the acts of local children and that since the schools have now resumed after the summer holidays, then I hope that such defacing will not recur.

Regards

Michael D.R.

Michael

Many thanks for the fascinating photographs and words. They really are very interesting

SN

Michael,

You have done us all a great service. Humble thanks.

And I hope that Palestine 45-48 are reflected as you say; my father (a quiet man) went to his grave worried that his men - not him, not his way - had been forgotten.

Regards and thanks

Phil

Michael

This really is good stuff. A precedent ..............

Regards

Jimmy

• 3 years later...

[see note at head of post #1 above re this revived thread]

These two images are placed here in continuation of post #9 above

Ramlehgenview.jpg

and

Ramlehptofinfopanel.jpg

• 3 years later...

Would you, by any chance, have a photograph of the headstone of 30172 Pte E P Hand of 2nd/4th Dorsets? He is commemorated on my local war memorial.

Regards,

John

• 6 months later...

HandheadstoneRamlehCWGCCem-1.jpg

John,

Sorry that this has taken so long, but pleased to say that today I managed to get the picture which you require.

The family wording at the foot of the stone reads;

“Until we meet

to part no more”

Please e-mail me if you need a copy of the full size file.

regards

Michael

Ramlehmemtothoseburiedelsewhere-1.jpg

This is not from the Great War, but it is another example of the various sorts of memorial which are to be seen at this cemetery; variations resulting no doubt from the very long time that the cemetery was in use (1917-1948) and its peculiar situation vis-à-vis the surrounding lands.

Michael,

Thank you - that is much appreciated.

John