Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Trench Art - Gotha 22 August 1917 - Margate

jacksdad

I recently got this and I wondered if anyone has any further information or photos of this Gotha Cheers Roger post-60057-0-73387800-1364269601_thumb.j

Roger

On 22 August 1917 fifteen Gothas from Kagohl 3 set out to bomb Margate, Ramsgate and Dover, but only ten particpated in attacks. Two came down in the Margate area, with the cause of their destruction argued between the RFC and anti-aircraft batteries. Gotha G.IV/663/16 came down in the sea about 1 kilometre from Margate. The pilot and observer, Ltn Werner Joschkowetz and Ltn Walter Lotowski, were both were killed, but gunner Uffz Bruno Schneider survived. The wreckage was recovered, but not the bodies.

Another Gotha, serial unknown, came down in flames on Hengrove golf course, the crew - Uffz Heinrich Schildt (pilot), Oblt Echart Fulda (observer) and Vfw Eichelkamp (gunner) - were all all killed. Fragments from this aircraft were sold in aid of war charities.

I hope this is useful.

Gareth

excellent thanks Gareth.

Very nice, Roger - not seen a piece made from a Gotha before - very jealous!

James

• 8 months later...

As a matter of curiosity, does that artefact relate to the claim made by Cecil Henry FitzHerbert? He was in Sopwith Camel (B3843) when he attacked a Gotha over Ramsgate. His service record states that the mention in despatches arises "for great gallantry in attacking Gothas during raid on England 22-8-17". post-88270-0-21463900-1387145472_thumb.p

That's a beauty - won this postcard, an example of which i've been after for a while, on eBay just the other day relating to one of the Gothas shot down on the raid

post-24634-0-17458500-1387145917_thumb.j

The Gotha in the postcard is, from what I can work out from descriptions of the raid, likely to be the one your lovely matchbox case is made from. Happy to e-mail you a high quality scan if you PM me your e-mail address