Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Morpurgo play: Christmas truce 1914

Chris_Baker

C******s truce in August? Going for historical accuracy then...or do the poor luvvies not relish the idea of the cold and rain?

The press (and others) insist on referring to a 'football match', as if they were lined up in numbered shirts, 11 a side, whistle and flags. A load of cobblers (not Northampton Town), in my opinion.

D

I look forward to, er no .... I await, a campaign for an posthumous MC (under modern rules) for every participant in the Christmas Truce. OK, maybe just an MID,; let's be reasonable. There must be recommendations somewhere ...

Ian

I think we need a new thread dedicated to Centenary inaccuracies and stupidities. This is a classic case.

I take it you've all read the script.

The press (and others) insist on referring to a 'football match', as if they were lined up in numbered shirts, 11 a side, whistle and flags. A load of cobblers (not Northampton Town), in my opinion.

D

Daggers - is this a deliberate clause to exclude Walter Tull!

Martin

I could have put a different word, but found cobblers had appeared on the page, which took me back to my two years in Northampton, as a Saints supporter - then!

D

Agh. The curse of St Morpurgo strikes again. We can only wish him every success and hope Snows are present on the great day

I have never seen a credible game of football enacted by thespians, Escape to Victory in the cinema comes to mind.

Will Vinnie Jones appear pretending to be a footballer as he made whole career out of that role for Wimbledon if I recall.

Maxi

Dragon,

I must admit that I have not read the script but from the horse's mouth (that is if the Telegraph's Mandrake has the tips straight from the stable) [please excuse the awful word play]

can disclose that Morpurgo has written
an emotional new work focusing on the football match
that was played between German and British troops on no man’s land during the brief Christmas Day truce in 1914. Food, cigarettes and souvenirs were exchanged, addresses swapped and Christmas carols sung in unison.

"...this new work
about the football match
is so brilliant," (Virginia McKenna).

I have a bad feeling about myth and misinformation. Still, on the plus side, it can't actually be a truly 'emotional new work' about a football match without featuring a cameo appearance by Sir Alex Ferguson (or maybe an emotional non-appearance) so maybe we are safe.

Ian

Agh. The curse of St Morpurgo strikes again. We can only wish him every success and hope Snows are present on the great day

Excellent double entendre

A chance for Eric Cantona to show some more of his acting skills , still can't work out where Virgina McKenna fits in though .

still can't work out where Virgina McKenna fits in though

Love interest possibly? Well she does it for me.

Maxi

still can't work out where Virgina McKenna fits in though

Love interest possibly? Well she does it for me.

Maxi

She may have done it for me back in the days of Smallest Show on Earth , but not sure these days , perhaps she's some ones granny , and she washes the team shirts ?

Just make sure she doesn't get her hands on a sten gun with all those huns running around, it ended in disaster last time.

Hope they do it properly with greatcoats, balaclavas, scarves, goatskins etc, no matter the weather

• 3 weeks later...

Michael Morpurgo has written this new play but Bruce Bairnsfather, who took part in the 1914 Christmas Truce, wrote possibly the first script about the Truce to be produced on stage or screen. In 1929 he wrote a scenario in which Old Bill, Bert and Alf 'fraternise' with a German soldier on Christmas Day. The German, who is found to have worked in London as a waiter before the war, is killed while attempting to return to his own trench. Bairnsfather's story was filmed by RKO as a 17 minute talkie titled "Old Bill's Christmas" and released in cinemas worldwide in 1930. I have the script, but sadly the film has not survived.

Old Bill was played by British actor Henry Wenman, who filmed this in between appearing as Second Lieutenant Trotter in R S Sherriff's"Journey's End" at New York's Henry Miller Theatre. Wenman had previously played Old Bill in 1917-19 in a touring company of "The Better 'Ole."

Perhaps someone could stage a performance of "Old Bill's Christmas" to mark the actual centenary of the Truce in December 2014!

Mark Warby, The Bruce Bairnsfather Society