Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

Sign in to follow this  
Raster Scanning

Wolsely Helmet

Raster Scanning

I recently obtained a rather nice Officers pattern Wolsely Helmet with an Officers Bedfordshire Regiment badge (ebay).

Inside are the initials L.H.S. I have checked my records for an Officer with these initials in the 1/5th Regiment (the only one to serve in tropical climes in WW1), no one with these initials seems to have served. Does anyone have a copy of the Army List for 1914 or before, to see if they can see an Officer with these initials in the Beds Regiment. The 2nd were in SA before the war, he may have been with them.

Thanks.

Joe Sweeney

John,

No such luck in the August 1914 Army List for any Bn. Note that the 1st -3rd Garrison Bn's served in India from 1916 on.

Joe Sweeney

Raster Scanning

Joe.

Thanks for looking.

John

CROONAERT

John.

Are you certain that it's of WW1 antiquity? Bear in mind that the Wolseley pattern "topee" soldiered on into the 1930's.

Dave.

Raster Scanning
Are you certain that it's of WW1 antiquity? Bear in mind that the Wolseley pattern "topee" soldiered on into the 1930's.

Hi Dave.

Yes the Wolseley's did, but the regiment only just made it past the end of the war (1919).

I am pretty certain the badge is contemporary with the helmet, judging by the witness mark left when you take it off. I suspect it is more likely to be pre war.

Best wishes.

John.