Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

Sign in to follow this  
Bennov23

How much is it worth?

Bennov23

Hi all,

I hope I have put this in the right place. I have as you can see a collection of items of my family members, including medals. I would like to know how much they are worth for the insurance, Is anyone able to help??

These images are my cousin's: William Pollard

Medals

DSCF3131

Inside of the boys brigade

DSCF3129

DSCF3127

Death plague

and these are my Great-Grandfather's item's

1914 -15 Star

Medals and kit

Ciggy box

IMG 20111106 00077

any help would be much appreciated.

Ben

Old Owl

Hi Ben,

It depends very much on the ranks and regiments of the recipients, and also whether William Pollard was a battle casualty or died from pneumonia. Probably a ball park figure of £300 to £500 as a family grouping.

It may be possible to narrow this down if more information could be posted.

Very nice lot though and good to see that it has all been kept together.

Robert

River97

Ben,

Can i suggest, for a better appreciation, that you provide the details on the medals. For the pair at the top the recipients details will be stamped around the rim.

As for the trio, the details will be on the reverse of the 1914-15 Star and on the rim for the British War Medal and the Victory Medal.

Just a straight off the cuff I would go no less than 500 pounds for the lot. In saying that these are items that can never be replaced, so a monetary value is only what the market would say.

Cheers Andy.

Bennov23

Hi, sorry it took me a while to reply. Your right I should have given more info.

Private William W Pollard GS/9392, (top pictures) signed up at 16, to the 11th Lewisham's, Royal West Kents in 1915 and served with them untill the battalion was disbanded in 1918, then was transfered to the 1st Battalion and was KIA at the battle of Le Becque on the 28th June 1918. His photo's include along side his medals, his Death Plague and Boy's Brigade Bible and prayers that came with it.

as for my Great Grandfather, a Private B. F. Talbot, 1722, as far as I know he joined up early and was wounded on the first day of the somme but survied and I think may have done a 2nd service in a guard on merchant navy vessels?? I shall be looking it to him in the future! In the photo's above, along with his medals are a couple of wallets and a flask, a ciggarette box and a message from Princess Mary, (I think this was sent to all troops??)

My Grandfather has also manage to find these item's of his fathers and tells me he has his trench coat in his attic. :thumbsup:

I recognise the cap badge and button but I don't know what the others are??

I guess all of this info adds to the price??

Ben

Queen's Cap badge

DSCF3145

DSCF3146

DSCF3149

Kitchener's Bugle

Nice family grouping, particularly with the additional items. £500 worth of insurance should not be very expensive, I would suggest that you start with your current insurer!. Clearly the money is not the issue, they could never truely be compensated for.

Bennov23

Hi there.

yes your right money isn't the factor, I wouldn't sell them ever but I just wondered how much they are.

Ben

exuser1

Interestingly you state that a Trench coat may have survived ? If and a big IF its a Great War original Great Coat it could be worth nearly as much as the medals ?

Bennov23

Interestingly you state that a Trench coat may have survived ? If and a big IF its a Great War original Great Coat it could be worth nearly as much as the medals ?

Really wow I had no idea! In truth I have never seen it but now you have metioned it I shall defintely have look. I'm afraid I wouldn't be able to tell but if post some pictures of it would be able to tell me??

Ben

Philip Wilson

Just an observation the medal ribbon on the Victory Medal (Great War for Civilisation 1914-19) should be on the silver British War Medal and vice versa for the second set of medals (the trio) for your Great Grandfather

Philip

Bennov23

Just an observation the medal ribbon on the Victory Medal (Great War for Civilisation 1914-19) should be on the silver British War Medal and vice versa for the second set of medals (the trio) for your Great Grandfather

Philip

intresting I know they have been tampered with cos they where stuck to something at some piont cos there's lots of brown paper on the back of them

Ben

Droocoo

The medal ribbons were often placed on the wrong medals because the British War Medal ribbon was thinner than the Victory Medal ribbon; thus it was easier to fit them on the ring suspender rather than the straight bar suspender. I would say no more than 500 .quid for both given the current market,