Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Z/1850 Rfn Herbert Alison Burrows 4Bn Rifle Brigade

brownwar

Can anyone assist in finding the place of death of this soldier please.

Herbert Alison Burrows,

Reg: Rifle Brigade ( The Prince Consort's Own ) 4th Battalion

No. Z 1850

K.I.A. 4th March 1915 France and Flanders

His service records are online

and the family received his belongings including a notebook and photos. Would this mean that his body was recovered? I have not been able to find him on the War Graves Commision site. Any help would be gratefully received.

Many thanks

Mick Burrows

Hi Mick

CWGC entry.

His grave may have been lost or his body was not recovered. Either way his effects would have been sent on when located [possibly not from his body]

Thank you Diane, Thats a fantastic find and part of the puzzle solved. Now I only need the wherabouts of the battalion on that date.

A great help and thank you again.

Mick Burrows

St. Eloi,

Diary entry 4/3/15

Trenches, 3 killed and 8 wounded, they relieved the 2nd K.S.L.I. on 3/4/15.

Andy

Mick,

Soldiers Died Great War gives a little extra :

Born Spennymoor : Enlisted Middlesbrough : Residence Middlesbrough.

BillyH.

Thanks Billy and thanks Andy,

Forgive my ignorance but the rifle brigade appears to cover many regiments, would the 4th battalion have been part of another regiment from Yorkshire or purely on its own. It looks like Herbert was in France from January 1915, does the diary give any details of the battalions movements and engagements up until his death on the 4th march 1915, and did the battalion remain in France for the duration?

Thanks for your attention,

Mick

Rifle Brigade had four regular battalions, the 4th is all part of the Rifle Brigade or Prince Consorts Own, nothing to do with any other Regiment. The battalion ended up in Salonika in early 1917.

Andy

Mick,

Herbert was in France from the 27/1/15. No drafts were received by the battalion until 1/2/15 when 1 officer and 154 other ranks joined the battalion, on the 7/2/15 when 1 officer and 257 other ranks joined and on the 27/2/15, 20 0ther ranks joined the battalion.

Andy

post-1871-0-27617200-1363538542_thumb.jp

Andy, Many thanks, you've been a great help. All is becoming clear.

Regards, Mick

Not a problem Mick, if you need the diary let me know

Andy

Still digging Andy, thanks for the offer and I'll get in touch should I need your help again.

Mick

• 5 years later...

The soldier in question

burrows.JPG.246b2394a146ba46c822bd0479adf281.JPG

Short Bio

BURROWS HERBERT ALISON

Rifleman HERBERT ALISON BURROWS
Z/1850 4th Bn Rifle Brigade

Herbert enlisted in Middlesbrough on the 2nd September 1914 giving his age as 19 years and 183 days old and his occupation as a labourer

He was placed in the 6th reserve Bn , posted to the 4th Bn

Herbert entered the theatre of war in France on the 27th Jan 1915 and was killed in action aged 20 on March 4th 1915 during fighting at St Eloi in the Ypres Salient.

He was the son of the late John Redhead Burrows and the late Sarah Ann Burrows (nee Childes) and the grandson of Mrs Childes of 163 Grange Road East Middlesbrough

Herbert can be found on the 1911 census residing with his uncle Herbert Childes at 163 Grange Road Middlesbrough employed as a shipyard labourer

The register of soldiers effects list his brother Archibald sisters Jennie Lavina and the grandmother and guardian for brothers Eric-Leslie and John- Stanley as the legatee of his effects

Born Spennymoor resided and enlisted Middlesbrough   (photo I.C 25th March 1915)
YPRES (MENIN GATE) MEMORIAL

Ray

• spof changed the title to Z/1850 Rfn Herbert Alison Burrows 4Bn Rifle Brigade