Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

J.R. 364

CROONAERT

I'm trying to find out the movements of the German 364th Infantry Regiment, especially around August - November 1916. Does anyone have any details of this unit and/or any casualty lists for the regiment around the date of 8/10/16 or can let me know where I might find such info.?

Thanks,

Dave.

I'd also be grateful if anyone could supply me with similar details for the 143rd Infantry Regiment around the date of 17th April 1918.

Thanks,

Dave.

Hello Dave,

I can probably supply some details you are looking for. On the 364th I.R.: It originally formed part of the 8th Ersatz Division which was then renumbered as the 243rd Inf. Div. In August 1915 the brigade Ersatz battalions were formed into regiments and the 364th was formed. The units were holding the line in Haye south of Thiaucourt.

In 1916 the division occupied the sector of the Petre Wood north of Fey en Haye. In August 1916 the 364th Regiment was removed and sent to the 33rd Reserve Division. On August 26th the 33rd Res. Div. was sent to the line north of Verdun, southwest of Fort Vaux. It was involved in heavy fighting from 2-9 September in the Vaux Chapitre wood and suffered heavy losses. The division was reorganized and was then involved in the French attack of 24 October. The division was withdrawn from the front on 1 November and sent for rest and reorganization.

As to casualties you would need to have the regimental history or see the casualty lists for that period.

As to the 143rd I.R., 30th Inf. Division. On 13 April 1918 the regiment entered the line south of Cantigny (west of Montdidier) and was withdrawn on 16 May. I do not have the regimental history (I believe there are two in existence) and I am unable to comment on the specific date. Hope this helps a bit.

Ralph

Hello,

I have the regimental history of IR 143. I'll check later and let you know...

Jan

The regimental history of IR 143 mentions: "Vom 16. bis 24. April waren keine besondere Ereignisse. Die Artillerietätigkeit flaute manchmal ab, um hernach von neuem einzusetzen."

So, nothing special happened on 17 April 1918 for this regiment. It was engaged on a small stream, the Dom, between Malpart and Cantigny (near Montdidier apparently).

Regards,

Jan

Thanks guys.

You've basically answered everything I need to know. Do either of you (or anyone else!) have the casualty lists for these regiments (J.R.364 - 8th October '16, J.R.143 - 17th April '18).

Thanks again,

Dave

Dave, Not yet but soon. I am working on collecting the German casualty lists and the 1916 period is first. When I do get them all I will let you know.

Ralph

Thanks Ralph.

Dave.