Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help! Lost Camera Ypres

Petroc

Hi all,

Just back from Belgium and a member of our party (traditionally the group's 'official' photographer) has lost his digital camera; he thinks he might have left it / dropped it in a bar or restaurant, has contacted the owner of The Times bar but could well be elsewhere. Long-shot, I know, but I'd be grateful if any Forum members over in Ieper could just ask the odd question to landlords and proprietors to see if anything has been handed in

Many thanks,

Andy

Petroc, what sort of camera is it? If people are to locate it for you and the bar owners etc not think them some sort of 'chancers' it may help if they had the make and model number, as well as the date?

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks folks, the owner of 'TheTimes' bar has located camera and graciously sent it back to the UK, disc of pictures have now been received by yours truly so hopefully will be able to post some images soon!

Petroc.

I will call in and forward your gratitude personally if you so wish? I live a hundred yards or so away from the bar. :thumbsup:

Chris

you luck so and so !

Did you see the bike race pass by today ?

Mick

Oh Lord: a bike race on top of all the other road closures. Trying to write a book on Messines 1914 in these conditions is a guarantee of utter frustration! It is as bad if not worse for the Menin Road 1914 and even Langemark 1914 is a trial. Sigh.

Hi Mick and I most certainly did. Our clients had a dreadful time reaching the town in time for their tour however, they persevered and we persevered in attempting to work our way around roadworks and the cycle race route. Ypres felt like a no go town yesterday........ :(

Tis such a relief to be able to walk through the town today! :thumbsup:

Yes, the bike race did cause a few problems...an hour driving back into Ieper from Zillebeke!!

Chris, I'd be most appreciative if you could thank Alain at the Times Bar, or at the very least his more than-able deputy Head Barman who was running the show since Alain was in plaster! Please also pass on our great appreciation for many good times (pardon the pun) in his pub and I'll ask Steve (the recipient of the camera) to e-mail the bar's website with the group photo they kindly took of us!

It was a wonderful trip again this year, marred only by the terrible snow that hit our journey back to le Havre, yet that same snow added a truly special aspect to our final morning's visit to Lijessenthoek (forgive me if the spelling is incorrect)...an amazing place, despite the fact that the visitor centre was..well..shut...but the cemetery..wow....

I'd love to post some pictures...Maple Copse, Caterpillar Crater and so on, but the disc I've received says the files are too large to upload on the gwf...any ideas how to 'shrink them'?

Chris; Many, many thanks again if you can do this; buy you a beer some time?

Andy

Andy, upload your photos to an external site such as Photobucket, then copy the correct code, paste it into the reply box here, and Bob's yer uncle, as they say.

• 5 years later...

Hello...

Sorry to tag on to this post, but I too have lost a camera in Ypres!  Must be a magnet for cameras.

Which would be the best forum to post a 'Help' message to see if anyone who was there over the weekend just gone, might have found it?

TIA

• Admin

Battlefield Touring is a good place. If you can post make model and where last seen I'm sure that would help. I sympathise, I had a camera stolen after a battlefield trip when we were unpacking at my fathers house in Reading. 

On 27/03/2013 at 07:58, Pighills said:

Andy, upload your photos to an external site such as Photobucket, then copy the correct code, paste it into the reply box here, and Bob's yer uncle, as they say.

Forget photobucket. They swamped the site in clickbait and advertising to the point that it took your browser down, and then they said that to share your pictures you had to subscribe at $400 a year, but there would be no ads. I think they've dropped the figure now, but they exposed themselves as nasty. Try imageshack. You have to pay, but its cheap, and no ads.

16 hours ago, horrocks said:

Forget photobucket. They swamped the site in clickbait and advertising to the point that it took your browser down, and then they said that to share your pictures you had to subscribe at $400 a year, but there would be no ads. I think they've dropped the figure now, but they exposed themselves as nasty. Try imageshack. You have to pay, but its cheap, and no ads.

Errrr, my posting was 5 years ago and things have changed.

6 hours ago, Pighills said:

Errrr, my posting was 5 years ago and things have changed.

Oh, heavens, so it was!

801, why on earth didn't you start a new thread!?

Edited by horrocks

• 1 month later...
  • Admin

Please see my post # 13 on this thread

Michelle